Coalfield sophomore lineman Zach Stewart gets offer from Tennessee

Adam Brimer/News Sentinel
Coalfield's Zach Stewart is the PrepXtra Sophomore of the Year.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Adam Brimer/News Sentinel Coalfield's Zach Stewart is the PrepXtra Sophomore of the Year.

Zach Stewart made a wise decision to stop by football practice at the University of Tennessee on Tuesday.

“Well we’d been up to Junior Day (at Tennessee),” he said. “They told us to come back whenever we wanted.”

He was rewarded for his return.

The 6-foot-4, 298-pound sophomore lineman from Coalfield High School received a scholarship offer to play for the Vols.

Stewart, who had won the overall MVP award at the 5-star National Underclassmen Combine in Myrtle Beach, S.C., only days before, said he was “pumped” about receiving his first Football Bowl Subdivision offer.

“I couldn’t collect myself to speak there for a minute,” said Stewart. “It was something I didn’t expect. It was something that was really important to me. It was a really good feeling.”

Playing for Tennessee has been Stewart’s dream, he said, since deciding in fourth grade that he wanted to play college football.

Choosing not to commit right away, Stewart wanted to make sure reality equaled his visions of playing for the Vols.

“I didn’t want to commit right away. My mom wasn’t there, and I wanted to talk it over with her,” he said, “and just to keep coming back and building relationships with all the coaches and people. If I’m going to spend four years of my life there, if I’m going to do that, I need to get to know everybody really well before I make the commitment.”

Linemen from Class 1A schools don’t get SEC offers that often. But Stewart’s brand of play matches that of a highly touted 6A lineman.

He won an MVP award at an NUC linemen combine in Oklahoma as a freshman. He then led Coalfield to the state semifinals this past fall, paving the way for a 2,000-yard rusher and also making 117 tackles with 23 tackles for loss and 14 sacks.

He was named PrepXtra Sophomore of the Year by the News Sentinel.

Stewart carries a 4.0 grade-point average. He said he’ll likely play right tackle or right guard in college.

And while National Signing Day 2015 is a while from now, he has liked what he’s seen so far from new Tennessee coach Butch Jones and staff.

“They’re up-tempo. They’re a great staff,” he said. “They’ll get after you if they need to get after you. They’ll make sure you’re doing what’s right. But they try to promote a family atmosphere there, which I think is really good.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

JSmith525 writes:

Reel em in bUTch. Go Vols!!!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

No stone left un-turned with this staff..GBO!!

kyvol98 writes:

Hell YES!!!!! Very proud of my fellow Yellow Jacket!

HooRay_Vol writes:

Wonder what position we will be recruiting him for? Wonder what he prefers?

ACWLY writes:

Our NEW Coach gets more impressive day by day, I love the aggressive attitude and hard work. Best feeling I've had about our team since the nineties. VFL

UTKin1992 writes:

Jones makes it difficult NOT to get behind our coaches and program! Proud to be a VOL!

In case some of you don't use Twitter, start. There is so much UT info you get directly from our coaches, players and local sports media that's not readily available elsewhere...just saying. Plus its free. Woo hoo.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

So, your man-crush on Fulmer has finally run it's course??

Snapshot writes:

in response to HooRay_Vol:

Wonder what position we will be recruiting him for? Wonder what he prefers?

He said in the article he will likely play right tackle or right guard in college.

kyvol98 writes:

in response to RIGHTISBETTERTHANLEFT:

Please remember this is the typical troll. Total of 3 posts, all negative and 2 of them dissing a kid from Coalfield. Sad.

Here is something for your viewing enjoyment:

voloffaith writes:

in response to RIGHTISBETTERTHANLEFT:

No . The "SAD" is you just trying your lil best to stir up a hornets nest. Read the article there righty...it said he won MVP at Myrtle Beach event. That means he stood out amongst his peers.....So yeah they are shivering in "SOuth Carolina." Some grumps love being a grump....if the shoe fits.......Try and have a nice day anyway skippy.....

On topic, congrats on the offer young man. Now through the next two years show yourself worthy of it so mister sour grapes can be unjustified...

Razzle writes:

in response to RIGHTISBETTERTHANLEFT:

Translation: 'I'm scared shartless this kid will be playing for the Vols."

SummittsCourt writes:

Another intelligent recruit - Got to make sure momma is happy!

Sounds like Coach Jones is pulling out all of the stops to win the state of Tennessee again. Kudos!!!

wigmeister writes:

Good kid. Good choice. He will flourish here!

gc_scvol writes:

in response to RIGHTISBETTERTHANLEFT:

JUST shut up

ElizabethtonvolnNC writes:

in response to voloffaith:

And MVP of elite OL camp in Oklahoma!

voloffaith writes:

Yeah righty just got a new name again since all the old ones keep getting zapped.....but the KnS likes his ilk as it stirs up the pot(after he maybe smokes it) to keep posting vibrant.

usafvol writes:

in response to kyvol98:

Here is something for your viewing enjoyment:

Oh give him a break; he's just killing time before the big dungeons and dragons game tonight in his momma's basement..

suggest_removal_4_all_troll_posts writes:

in response to RIGHTISBETTERTHANLEFT:

Smart is better than stupid. Very sad.

UTKin1992 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

So, your man-crush on Fulmer has finally run it's course??

pingkr62 writes:

in response to suggest_removal_4_all_troll_posts:

Smart is better than stupid. Very sad.

Is this the "flower's" latest screen name?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

No, I know exactly who I'm talking to..The obsessed Fulmer fan that whined about Kiffin, Dooley and any coach mentioned as a replacement..That's okay, just own it..I'm also hoping Butch Jones doesn't transfer your obsessions from Fulmer to him..He's got enough problems to circumvent.

cheetah-vol writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Another intelligent recruit - Got to make sure momma is happy!

My thoughts exactly. I am so impressed with his ability to take control of the prospects in this state. TN may not be a hot-bed for high school football players, but we've let the good ones get away for too long. Cudos CBJ. And, good luck finishing your high school years, young man.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to kyvol98:

Here is something for your viewing enjoyment:

Thanks for the link. At this point in his career, young Mr. Stewart is a man among boys. The really scary thing is he's still growing. Keep it up C.B.J and G.B.O.!!!

cheetah-vol writes:

in response to RIGHTISBETTERTHANLEFT:

Wow. So you're a troll? I'm kinda new here, but my understanding of a troll is someone who makes cowardly comments. Thanks for not disappointing my understanding of a troll. You're an excellent one. Congrats!

SevenT writes:

I wonder if Jones knows about the 12 year old kid who is burning it up in Pop Warner ball down in Georgia. Come on Jones make the kid and offer NOW.

Go Vols

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to SevenT:

Go Vols

Real funny, tucky clod..Keep laughing at UT meanwhile that Stoops loser will be adding 1&2* rejects CBJ passes over..

cheetah-vol writes:

in response to SevenT:

Go Vols

OMG! "And offer"? C'mon 7IQ. I've seen your troll posts before. You're now in the NIT Troll Tourney. I mean, if you/re gonna make it into the NCAA Troll Tourney, you'll have to do better than that.

Vol43 writes:

in response to cheetah-vol:

Welcome cheetah. Things are starting to look up for the Vols since Butch Jones and company arrived. Better days are ahead. Yes, there are quite a few trolls on the site and you may make note of another one of those losers: sevenT. Now sevenT is a ky fan who has nothing better to do and he loves being beaten up so have at it. Go Vols

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to SevenT:

Go Vols

thats a kiffin/saban thing although kiffin is about finished :) GO VOLS !!!!!

UTKin1992 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I see you as the garden variety lunatic fan who never attended, much less graduated from UT. Pick someone else to annoy d-bag...

Vol43 writes:

in response to SevenT:

Go Vols

He probably does know of him. Good call.

cheetah-vol writes:

in response to Vol43:

Thanks, Vol43. I'm a long time reader, first time poster. UT alum '75. And, yeah, I figured out that trolls pleasure themselves off what we reply to them. Sick, but true.

cheetah-vol writes:

in response to Vol43:

And, yes. Butch is doing great. Adding excitement. Hoping he'll add some wins along with it. I think he will.

Vol43 writes:

in response to cheetah-vol:

Yep, he's saying the right things and doing the right things so far. I think we have a keeper.

allvol8 writes:

in response to SevenT:

Go Vols

I know a kid that is in 7th grade and can run the 4.5 what's your point Bozo?

Vol43 writes:

in response to allvol8:

I know a kid that is in 7th grade and can run the 4.5 what's your point Bozo?

Bozo has no point

exlineman writes:

For UT Fans, some of these trolls seem to forget the great Herschel Walker from a single A school in Ga. (a heisman trophy winner, former all american and NFL player, that we just barely got beat out by Ga. for his services. Another great player who recently passed away was Reggie Harper from little old Hartsville, Tn. yellow jackets. Seems like I also remember some of those great wide receivers we once had out of Frostproof Fl. and others I can't remember right off hand. This young man could possibly become one of the best lineman to ever play for us. Sometimes too much emphasis is placed on the size of a school. The post that mentioned a 7th grader with the speed he mentioned, needs to be known by Coach Jones. We need great athletes irregardless of the school size. It would be nice for someone to go back and do the legwork of just how many great athletes we have signed from small schools to go to the NFL. Go Big Orange.

exlineman writes:

Another great player just came to my mind, Johnny Majors from Lychburg and little Petersburg and Huntland. I'm not sure but the great Doug Atkins also might have come from a small school.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to SevenT:

Go Vols

Is he the little bro of the 8th grader that Saban and Miles just offered?

Vol43 writes:

in response to exlineman:

No wonder Johnny liked Jack Black. He he

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

Well, you're correct I graduated from Rhodes (formerly Southwestern @ Memphis)..However you're incorrect about my loyalty to UT. I have several relatives that are alumni and my family has retained season tickets for 62 years. Now, if I may critique you..You never played CFB (which I did at Memphis St) so, whether I attended UT has no bearing on my loyalty to UT and in fact gives me much more insight into fb related articles. Because you graduated in 92' that means you are all knowing and privileged to talk UT sports and no other fans (non-grads of UT) are worthy to be on this site?? How elitist and pompous you are..

exlineman writes:

Vol43, I have heard the stories about him, I beleive might have started with his coaching in Pittsburgh. Those folks up there beleive in being rough and tough and holding their whiskey. Johnny will always be remembered more as one of the great players at UT.

Vol43 writes:

in response to exlineman:

Yes Siree, and I have a photo of me and Johnny of which I am most proud.

exlineman writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

BivolarBeare and vol43, keep up the great posts and get orange ctyvol on here as well. Enjoy reading all of your posts.

Vol43 writes:

in response to exlineman:

Back atcha lineman. BB is my hero! He taught me all I know!

dvols writes:

6-4, 298...from coalfield.....

i bet he aint scared of no lil florida punks!

ElizabethtonvolnNC writes:

in response to exlineman:

Jason Witten and (Johnny Mills, who is from Carter County) ...sorry, had to get that one in there. I know we are not in the smallest classificaton, but we "ain't one of the big'uns" either. GO Cyclones....GO VOlS!

pingkr62 writes:

in response to exlineman:

I think Doug Atkins was from Humboldt Tn. A small town north of Jackson Tn.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to RIGHTISBETTERTHANLEFT:

Yeah...6'4" and 298 SOPHOMORE in high school attending camps and getting awards. Plus, he won't grow any. He could whoop you right now...go tick him off and see.

exlineman writes:

in response to ElizabethtonvolnNC:

ElizabethtonvolinNC, what about the gentle giant Mickey Marvin, wasn't he from that part of the country as well?