Dave Hart praises outgoing Alabama AD Mal Moore, says he's committed to Tennessee

University of Tennessee athletics director Dave Hart introduces new head football coach Butch Jones during a press conference in the Peyton Manning Locker Room Complex at Neyland Stadium Friday, Dec. 7, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart said he has no desire to return to Alabama to replace Mal Moore, who announced his resignation Wednesday due to health concerns.

Hart, an Alabama graduate, was a top lieutenant to Mal Moore for three years before taking the top job at Tennessee.

In an interview on WNML in Knoxville, Hart said his main concern was for Moore’s health.

"He is the finest human being I’ve ever met, worked with or been associated with in my career,” Hart said.

Asked about the possibility of returning to his alma mater, Hart said, “My focus is purely here. My total focus is on continuing to be privileged to serve as vice chancellor and director of athletics at Tennessee."

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

60s70s80s90s00s10sallvol writes:

He's gone, I bet! Dont care either.

SummittsCourt writes:

Yeah right!

NYvolFan writes:

They are going to go after him, unless they are still pissed that he left.

I know the guy from when he was at FSU and don't trust him at all. He'll get a raise and be gone!

Mark it down...Vols will be seeking a new AD soon. Awesome!

titansfan1085 writes:

opens the door for Coach Fulmer to be AD. He bleeds Tennessee orange!

lstbodeanvol writes:

Harvey Updyke to be new AD for Crimson tree poisoners

lstbodeanvol writes:

If hart wants to go home thats cool I liked and trusted the job Joan Cronan was doing she is ALL TENNESSEE ALL THE TIME !!!!!

JSmith525 writes:

To the naysayers and mega-nega-vols: Be very careful what you wish for. Many of your type have slammed Hart since he was hired. I have often wondered why that was. What has he done to hurt the Vol programs in any way? From the glass that I am looking through he has been just fine. He appears to be a hard worker, that gets involved with all the programs. He appears to let the Coaches do their thing without interference. (Are some of ya's still tee'd that he didn't hire Chucky)? Maybe some of ya want Phil? I do not think Chucky wanted the Vols, and I am sure that the Vols didn't need Chucky. And for sure the Vols do NOT need Phil as AD. Thank's Phil for all you have done for the Vols and us fans, God Bless you and yours. But the Vols do not need to go back there. Maybe you are tee'd about the womens BB coaching change. All I can say about that would be "you have issue's". Love ya Pat. You are the best thing that ever happened in the history of women's sports! Hart took over a program that was in the mist of a h&ll storm and as far as I can see "through my half full glass" is positive progress. And with all that, he has overseen the combining of the men's and womens programs. Which as I understand it, is working out fine. Yea I would just be careful what I wished for. I am positive that there are other Hammy's out there.

massvolfan writes:

No No No !! The Alabama job is perfect for you Dave. PLEASE go...with our blessings for a happy and healthy life. If they don't contact you, you should definitely contact them, ASAP !!

rtrchatt writes:

Doubt Ozzie Newsome will take a huge paycut and leave Baltimore, but replacing one Bama legend with another Bama legend is a popular choice among the Tide Nation.

Coach Moore is the quinessential southern gentlemen and will be greatly missed. He certainly is one of the reasons CNS has made the committment to Alabama. The next AD hire is critical for CNS retiring at Alabama, and rocky flop has no worries re DH. He is not in the running IMHO. Roll Tide

ACWLY writes:

A generic reply, who in their right mind would say anything else? We all knew this time would eventually come now we will find out what kind of man Mr. Hart really is, if he goes back home he will be the man I always thought he was, but if he stays I will have to reevaluate my opinion of him. I actually think he has done an adequate job so far, it will be interesting to see what kind of man he really is.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

I'm sure the Alabama Board of Trustees is very concerned and influenced by your 'humble opinion'. :-/

laraccoon writes:

maybe they will let the candidates line up and take a sucker punch from the football players to know if he is qualified or not . up to this point i think Hart has done fine . and for the trash below our border ,"Roll convicts Roll"

tulelakevol writes:

Tide nation can take a long walk off a short pier. I do not care.

Banner writes:

Alabama wouldn't hire him in a thousand years. Look at the mess he created at Florida State! They don't need scandal. Who do you think will have the most input? SABAN!!!!!! He doesn't want him there.

Hart is the one that pushed for Sunseri and give him a multi year deal. Saban knew what he was doing with that.

beartn#223846 writes:

I think the main reason Bama may not want him is that he's already in in low 60's. Unless he wants to work until he's 70, they would be looking again, soon.

I take the criticism of Hart with a grain of salt. He inherited a mess from Hamilton, who is a fine man, but was a horrible AD. Other than letting it leaked to the point we were very publicly turned down by Strong, I can't point to anything bad he has done. No one was going to come in and turn it around in a year or two. If he wants to go to his alma mater, I won't hold that against him. If he wants to stay, fine.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to JSmith525:

I agree completely. I'm sure you and I will incur the wrath of many others because of our opinion of Mr Hart. But I cannot understand why so many seem to hate the man. As for his time at Free Shoes U. I don't think the entire issue can be blamed on Mr. Hart. There is plenty of blame to go around. He could not have acted alone. I'll leave it at that. G.B.O.!!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Joe Namath if they are wanting another alcoholic to replace Mal..Other than that Kenny Stabler was just out of rehab for alcohol abuse, he might fill that void as well..Just a suggestion from a concerned outsider.

tennrich1 writes:

Its good that the only thing we have here is a bunch of opinions by a bunch of folks have absolutely no bearing who will be the AD at Bama or Tennessee...Personally I think Dave Hart is ok...But one thing is for sure and I think we can ALL agree...Bama will hire whoever Coach Saban says they can hire...Lets face it....Bama's success has come because Saban came...end of story...not a negative...just the truth...and they will be success as long as he stays...hence...he will say who the next AD is...

Caspian writes:

I think Dave Hart has done an excellent job thus far at TN. Hope we can hang onto him.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

You know Derek Dooley has experience as an A.D. He held that job as well as Head football coach at La Tech. He is also close friends with Saban. But I don't think Dooley has a drinking problem. G.B.O.!!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pingkr62:

That's true, if only Derek were a complete sot..

pingkr62 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

That's true, if only Derek were a complete sot..

L.O.L. Yes, that would probably disqualify him.

MidTennVol writes:

in response to beartn#223846:

This.

volfanlostnbama writes:

Reports out of BHM area are that Hart is not under consideration. Sports radio here saying that AL sources saying that Hart went to UT job knowing he likely would not be considered for the top job at AL.

volfanlostnbama writes:

Reports are that someone who worked with Saban in Cleveland's front office is a strong candidate. Sounds like Saban may be the one driving this wagon.

elbtenn#502977 writes:

in response to massvolfan:

Yes---Please GO!

elbtenn#502977 writes:

in response to tulelakevol:

Tide nation can take a long walk off a short pier. I do not care.

Roger that!

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to tulelakevol:

Tide nation can take a long walk off a short pier. I do not care.

I'm here to tell you, they absolutely HATE IT at Waffle House when Tide fans come in because they bring canned Vienna Sausages in with them to use as the meat alongside their pancakes to save money. Makes the whole place smell like dog food.

secondcreek writes:

Hart's jacket in the picture looks a couple of sizes too big.

Mboroalum writes:

in response to JSmith525:

Agreed. Good post. The only gripe I have with Hart is, he didn't pull the trigger quicker on Dolittle. And anyone hired to replace Moore, will be nothing more than an opening act for Nick.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to Sir_Spanky:

I thought it was dog food.

thevoice writes:

in response to titansfan1085:

opens the door for Coach Fulmer to be AD. He bleeds Tennessee orange!

Hope so, I really do. Would be a good fit. If not I'll do it for only $500,000. I can attend sporting events and drink wine with the best of them. I graduated in '88 so maybe I qualify.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to secondcreek:

Hart's jacket in the picture looks a couple of sizes too big.

Maybe he borrowed from some of Fulmer's left overs?

8inarow writes:

And lil-Lane said he would never leave UT....

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pingkr62:

Maybe he borrowed from some of Fulmer's left overs?

That was funny..He also looks like a frustrated Jim Carrey in "Liar Liar"..

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to JSmith525:

"Your Cheating" Hart should never have even been considered for the AD slot because of the mess he made at FSU.

But for some reason the fix was in.

And the way he treated pat Summit, and the hatchet job he did fixing something that wasn't broken -- you know, the entire Athletics Department?

Good riddance if he leaves.

Walt

UT '81

pingkr62 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

That was funny..He also looks like a frustrated Jim Carrey in "Liar Liar"..

Without Carrey's goofy smile.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to 8inarow:

And lil-Lane said he would never leave UT....

I'm thankful he did. Any bets Lane will be unemployed at the end of next season?

dvols writes:

saban will choose.......DOOLEY!!!!!!!!!

JSmith525 writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

But for some reason the fix was in.

Good riddance if he leaves.

Walt

UT '81

Still pining for Phil, eh? See some things do stay consistant. It's over ya know. He will not be back. It's ok to let it go now. Cheers!

Vol43 writes:

I don't care one way or another, frankly. Well, if I don't care one way or another, then why am I posting this nonsence? I have no idea. Ya'll just ignore this. How stupid. Go to bed, Bubba. Ok.

underthehill writes:

in response to JSmith525:

Dave Hart..Sal Sunseri..if that ain't enough for you ...there is more..send him back to bama..UT will be far better off..and it might be wise for him to go if he has the chance before the lawsuits are addressed..almost forgot to mention the effect his hiring may have on potential donors..

underthehill writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

But for some reason the fix was in.

Good riddance if he leaves.

Walt

UT '81

Let us not forget the Sunseri disaster and his contract that appears to me to be more buddy buddy than business for UT..and despite Hart's denial..I have no doubt it was all Hart's thing and Dooley had no say in it..

underthehill writes:

in response to volfanlostnbama:

Why would he be..only UT is that stupid..

pcshowtime writes:

in response to volfanlostnbama:

"Hart went to UT job knowing he likely would not be considered for the top job at AL."
and that tells you all you need to know about dave hart. I am so tired of UT taking stuff other sec schools would not even consider.

Snapshot writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Oh yeah, how did replacing Bryant with Ray Perkins work out for the bammers? lol

tomkats3242 writes:

IF Hart don't FIRE Martin then he would be better off back in Alabama. We need someone that can coach basketball and recruit good players. FIRE HART, MARTIN and Hire BRUCE.

lyafarre writes:

I will personally drive Hart to Tuscaloosa if he wants to go. Heck, I might even buy him a nice dinner along the way.
His abrasive personality and questionable decision-making have endeared him to neither the fan base nor the the Athletic Department staff. He'll fit in nicely with Alabama's current coaching staff.

abnermc writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

"replacing one bama legend w/ another"? I didn't know Saban was a bama legend. Maybe Price,?no, maybe Dubose,? no, Maybe Fran,? no... Maybe it doesn't matter what the "popular choice among the tide city" is. Oh well anyway Saban IS the AD & will be the AD. 39 & counting hon!!!

McMinnVol writes:

Now I remember why I like 247 Sports so much. I don't have to read all these crazy comments like I used to read. You guys that want to run Hart off know nothing about sports. He has done an excellent job and just made an awesome hire in Butch Jones --- when most of you were in la-la land thinking Gruden was coming here.