Tyler Anderson dismissed from track team, faces new charges

Ex-track athlete faces new charges

Tyler Anderson

Photo by Donald Page/Tennessee Athletics

Tyler Anderson

Tyler Anderson, who faces charges for domestic violence and vandalism stemming from an arrest last September, has been dismissed from Tennessee’s track and field team and faces new charges for an alleged robbery in December.

Anderson, 20, was arrested on Sept. 2 following an incident in which he allegedly struck his girlfriend and vandalized her mother’s front lawn.

The News Sentinel learned Monday that Anderson was arrested Dec. 12 on aggravated robbery charges, a class B felony. Anderson and co-defendant J’Vente Deveaux allegedly broke into a Fort Sanders apartment, forced a victim to unlock a safe at knifepoint and took possession of $6,000 from a safe, according to the affidavit.

The affidavit added that the defendants were known by the victim and named to the police. Deveaux has no known affiliation with UT.

Anderson, a triple jumper and sprinter, was suspended after the Sept. 2 incident.

According to UT athletic spokesman Jimmy Stanton, he was dismissed from the team in December and is no longer enrolled at Tennessee.

Attorney Jared Karnes, who represents Anderson, told the News Sentinel he believes Anderson is attending classes at Tennessee State University. An enrollment verification request made by the News Sentinel to TSU went unanswered.

Following multiple continuances in the original domestic violence and vandalism case, Anderson is next due in Knox County General Sessions Court on April 16. The robbery charges have been added to his case report.

In the Sept. 2 warrant, Anderson is accused of beating his girlfriend with a cast-clad hand, throwing her into a coffee table and ripping her mother’s mailbox out of the front lawn of the home where the incident occurred.

Anderson competed at Tennessee as a freshman in 2011-12. He placed 12th in the triple jump at the SEC Indoor meet and finished ninth in the long jump at the SEC Outdoor meet.

The Hillsboro High School graduate was the 2010-11 Gatorade Tennessee Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

thevoice writes:

Sounds like a friendly guy.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to thevoice:

Sounds like a friendly guy.

LMAO! I thought the same thing!

NashvillePreds writes:

TSU took this guy???
Wow

CommodoreCapital writes:

I would like to see him try that against Chamique Holdsclaw.

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to CommodoreCapital:

I would like to see him try that against Chamique Holdsclaw.

I would like VU to field a track team.
It would be worth a laugh.

SEC__Headgear writes:

The juice turns idiots into crazy idiots

whatthe84 writes:

Where do they get these guys? I mean really...how can we miss so completely on the character of this nut. Just because he can run fast or jump high or far should not be the only consideration on bringing someone on to campus and giving him a scholarship. These thugs are all over our campuses not just at UT but all over. It really is pathetic and a situation that should be addressed with a zero tolerance rule. Any arrest, any connection with dope should ban them from any participation in sports with an NCAA school. The exception could be minor traffic offenses. If the penalty was stiff maybe they would think before they act stupid. If they don't think we don't need them. I grew up and went to college and I never got arrested, never robbed someone or smoked dope or beat up my girlfriend or stole someones property...give me a break...oh yeah I never got drunk and fought with the police either. I really don't think I was so exceptional either, I think I was the normal student.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Who will be the first idiot to blame Hamilton for this one?

johnsonfence#1416814 (Inactive) writes:

He was pre-disposed to criminal behavior.