Tyler Summitt to interview at Coastal Carolina

In this photo taken, Dec. 3, 2012, Marquette assistant women's basketball coach Tyler Summitt poses for a picture at the Al McGuire Center in Milwaukee. Summitt has been preparing for this role all of his life. Yes, the lessons he learned watching his mother, Pat, at Tennessee got him ready for his own coaching career. (AP Photo/Morry Gash)

Tyler Summitt will interview next week with Coastal Carolina about its women’s basketball head coaching vacancy.

A source familiar with the situation confirmed the interview for Summitt, who already has spoken with a school official about the opening.

The source requested anonymity because the interview hasn’t been made public.

The 22-year-old Summitt just completed his first season as an assistant coach at Marquette. The Golden Eagles’ season ended last Friday with a 61-59 loss to Northern Iowa in the first round of the WNIT.

Summitt is the son of former Tennessee women’s basketball coach Pat Summitt, who now is the Lady Vols’ head coach emeritus.

Coastal Carolina is looking to replace Alan LeForce, who retired earlier this month after 16 seasons.

Coastal Carolina went 13-16 this season, 8-10 in the Big South Conference. Its season ended with a 64-60 loss to Gardner-Webb in the Big South Championships in Conway, S.C.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

rockypop writes:

I don't know of any Tennessee fan who isn't pulling for Tyler Summitt. But, the ranks of kids of great coaches succeeding at or near the level of their parent is slim to non-existant. Off the top of my head, I can't think of one who has even come close to their parent's success. Maybe Tyler will be the first.

Him achieving success and eventually coming home to coach the Lady Vols would be one of sports' greatest stories.

BruisedOrange writes:

Yeah. I'm ready for a little context on the realities of any 22 year old taking any head coaching job in this era.

Are there things Tyler can only learn by BEing the head coach? Or is he truly ready?

I just want to appreciate everything Tyler accomplishes, and not hold him to some impossible standard out of my own ignorance.

Tall order KNS... make me less ignorant!

givehim6 writes:

Hope Tyler the best. It ould be nice if he made hisway back to UT one day.

DC82_Vol writes:

It is not like Tyler does not have resources. He has to start somewhere like his mom did. Good luck Tyler.

SummittsCourt writes:

Good luck. I can only think of one other coach who started at 22 and went on to become an Icon!

volgrog#210164 writes:

in response to rockypop:

John Thompson (Jr. or III, I can't remember) at Georgetown. Hasn't gotten to the level of his father yet, but they were a 2 seed this year. Granted, they lost ot FGCU, but FGCU looks like the real deal.

rbwtn writes:

Believe me he comes with some good Baggage and is worth hiring. Just think when Mom visits campus!. Good Luck Kid we're pulling for you.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Head coach at 22..WOW!!! Just being considered is pretty big deal..Go for it Tyler, Jump in at the deep end

voloffaith writes:

He is no ordinary 22 yr old when comes to bball knowledge. Strange though to be potentially head coach of young ladies who are close enough to your age.

madrigal writes:

Normally my eyebrows would be somewhere up around my hairline on reading this, but Tyler isn't your ordinary 22 year old. He's been around basketball and strong young women since before he was born. He's been at practice since infancy and analyzed film with mom since middle school. He's coached AAU ball. He was a practice player for the Lady Vols (remember that?) and then a walk-on with the men's team. He's done everything most people do who want to coach college ball, he's just done it earlier. In addition he seems to be a very mature young man. I wish him the best.

CoverOrange writes:

Great experience in how to play basketball and how to coach. Unknown is his ability to recruit and his ability to put together a staff. Will be interesting to see.

HooRay_Vol writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Yeah, talk about recruting players that you can also date.......... Some players on the team may be as old as he is if they red-shirted.

BruisedOrange writes:

At 22 I'll bet Tyler would be able to out-text & out-tweet any other head coach!

-----
Me? I 'bout tore the screen off my laptop the first time I typed to the end of a line... then tried to manually return the carriage.

NOTE: mild soap and a soft rag will remove whiteout from your LCD screen.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Tyler grew up having everything, Pat grew up having little, but the genetics are there for him to be an excellent coach. I join most UT fans in wishing him a career filled with great success.

tonyvick#213307 writes:

When you do what you are born to do even yourself can't stop the success.

golfman1975 writes:

I have little doubt he will be a great coach. He studied under Bruce Pearl and his mom (since he was born). Not a bad way to learn the business.

madrigal writes:

in response to HooRay_Vol:

Tyler is already engaged, in case you didn't know.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Tyler, if you're half the coach your mother was you'll amass over 500 wins in a career..Godspeed.

NeylandWest writes:

Pat was a 22 year old coach at a little school on the Hill. History may be, in fact, repeating itself. I wonder if he'll wash the uniforms, tape up ankles and drive the team bus, too.

His mother MUST be proud. All the best, Tyler! Other 22 yr olds are still wondering why life hasn't given them another trophy while you're busy figuring out how to earn one.

whatthe84 writes:

He may have what it takes, but 22 you got to be kidding. He needs at least 5 more years of seasoning. Not yet young man...someone needs to pull back on the reigns a little he is not ready to run full tilt. Pat needs to help him with this and see that he makes the right decision.

scottvol writes:

East Tennessee State has an opening for Women's Head Coach. A good fit for Tyler and close to home. ETSU: give him a call !