Baylor not the only ones 'stunned' by upset

ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Adam Brimer

ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL Baylor’s Odyssey Sims and Brittney Griner react after losing to Louisville on Sunday at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City.

Meighan Simmons on the Lady Vols' win

OKLAHOMA CITY — Dean Lockwood could have been speaking for the entire Baylor team Sunday evening.

“I’m stunned,” the Tennessee assistant coach said seconds after Louisville defeated No. 1 Baylor in the Sweet 16 round of the Oklahoma City regional at Chesapeake Energy Arena.”

“I’m just trying to process what I’ve just seen,” he added.

So was everybody else who had witnessed one of the greatest upsets in the history of the NCAA women’s basketball tournament.

No. 5 seed Louisville (27-8) made 16 of 25 3-pointers and led by 19 points with 12:14 to play, but still needed two last-second free throws by senior Monique Reid to edge the defending national champion Lady Bears, 82-81.

The Cardinals will play Tennessee on Tuesday night in the Elite Eight. The Lady Vols defeated Oklahoma 74-59 in the first half of the doubleheader.

Now, the Lady Vols are one victory away from the Final Four. And Baylor isn’t in their way.

“That’s a great illustration of why you play the game,” Lockwood said. “Everybody thought we would be playing Baylor.”

They almost were.

The Lady Bears (34-2) overcame the 19-point deficit with a furious rally, capped by a pair of free throws from All-American point guard Odyssey Sims. That gave Baylor a one-point lead with nine seconds left.

Baylor’s other All-American didn’t close out as well.

Center Brittney Griner was called for a foul as Reid drove to the basket with 2 seconds to play.

“I mean I feel like I got all ball,” a dejected Griner said when asked about the play. “But you know, it wasn’t my call.”

Louisville coach Jeff Walz saw the play differently.

“I was just thankful,” he said. “It was a late whistle.

“She got clobbered.”

Baylor coach Kim Mulkey thought Louisville was doing most of the clobbering. In fact, she challenged the media afterwards to ask her about the officiating.

“I thought the game started out way too physical,” Mulkey said. “I thought that all three of (the officials) if they go past this round, it will be sad for the game.”

The fouls actually favored Baylor. It was called for only 14 fouls, compared to 24 whistled on Louisville.

Two of the Cardinals’ best players — Shoni Schimmel (22 points) and Bria Smith (13 points and seven rebounds) — both fouled out late in the game.

Schimmel and Antonita Slaughter devastated Baylor with 3-point shooting.

Schimmel hit 5 of 8 3-point tries, and Slaughter, who scored 21 points, was 7-for-9.

Slaughter also played a prominent role in defending Griner, who was limited to 10 shots. She finished with 14 points.

Sims led the Lady Bears with 29 points.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolMoment writes:

Lost a lot of respect for Baylor coach. The officiating was the worst I had seen. The whole game it favored Baylor. The foul called against Louisville that L. coach got a technical was actually a foul by Baylor as reported by AP. So Baylor got two free throws and the ball and then a basket. Louisville should have shot 2 free throws a 6 point swing. Then the game wouldn't had Baylor leading with 9.2 seconds. The Baylor coach has no class like Pat and Holly. I am glad they got her. To claim at the press conference that the officials were bad and should not call another game. Get over it cry baby, Louisville beat your five and three officials.

MTSUVOL writes:

Great post. I agree 100%

jt45 writes:

Mulkey should go watch a replay of how she acted. It was almost like she had those refs in her pocket the whole game and when they couldnt throw the fight at the end she blamed them.
Im so glad ESPN will have to move on and talk about someone else for a change. Diggens is the last ESPN golden girl left out of the trio that espn has talked about non stop.

JimmyJoe writes:

griner did get all ball on that last foul... Then fouled the phooey out of her with her body... How can mulkey whine about officiating in this game... It was bad alright... But not Louisville's way... They called 10 more fouls on Louisville. And honestly I'm surprised they called a foul on that last play... What a big crybaby...then she pulls her jacket off...and just about gives us all a show... And does the officials t her up like they did the other coach? Nope. What a whiner.....Griner and Whiner.

dunc writes:

Interesting that the coaches who consistently get the most favorable calls (Kim and Geno especially) also do the most whining!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to VolMoment:

Well said, Vol Moment.

Mulkey is reacting this way since she didn't count on another team stepping up to the challenge and beating her.

She, and the Baylor team have gotten a bit pompous during this long streak. Griner and all the talk about her blocking shots and dunking the ball? Well, "I reckon so." Especially when you're 6:08 and most of the shots she was blocking was with 6 feet tall or shorter girls.

Yes, the mighty have fallen off their perch.
Now, we shall see how mighty Baylor will be in the future.

Mulkey doesn't need to gripe about officiating, she got the majority of the calls all night.

As for the deciding 2 free throws, that was the same Louisville shooter who had just missed a one and one moments earlier, I believe. It was scary, because the first shot rattled around before dropping.

Anyway, Tennessee knows what to expect now.

JimmyJoe writes:

mulkey should be madder at her big stud girl who laid the biggest Easter Egg in History.... griner looked listless and just didn't bring it... You want to point fingers in a one point loss... Look at your all american who scored about 18 less than her average...I mean...Brittany was supposed to be the player that was in the process of changing the women's game... Maybe she didn't need to change it... Maybe she just needed to win it.

1vavolfan writes:

Glad I'm not the only one who thought the officiating was terrible. Mulkey goes insane and doesn't get a T. Good riddance, 63 other coaches will have their teams eliminated as well, all the rest will act with class. Loved the trash talking by the UL girls.

keepitreal4vols writes:

Quick, someone get the Lady Vols film on Louisville. I doubt they ever game planned for the Cardinals.

golfman1975 writes:

Rumor had it that Mulkey already got her new ride...a 2013 Harry Potter broom...she is going to have to give it back. It has low miles...Geno is interested.

golfman1975 writes:

My couch has more moves than Griner. The only thing she has going for her is her size...no athleticism at all.

JimmyJoe writes:

The Loiusville coach should have patted Kim on the Butt at the end of the game... That would have made the whole day priceless!

tnvol34 writes:

Mulkey crying about a foul! well there was not a charge when Lvill coach got a T! She made the basket, and would have had a free throw! Coach had right to be upset! Lvil player had position, and was run over by Baylor player, when Mulkey went off! For once the refs got it right! I want to know, if Mulkey will be diciplined for trashing refs on call! GO LADY VOLS!

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Wow never saw this coming! I'm with you CW and Dean will be up all night tonight scouting Louisville! This is it! This is our chance to have a very special year! I'm so pumped! We can take LVL! We can beat dem Dawgz if they beat Cal which I believe they will and we can get our revenge on Skylar and ND. Wouldnt it be interesting if 3 SEC teams make it to the final four?

td writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Not just 3 SEC teams -- 3 SEC East teams!!!

PabloMelton writes:

in response to JimmyJoe:

She was in the process of allowing men to play the women's game. Why did she not participate in the Olympics again?

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

in response to td:

Not just 3 SEC teams -- 3 SEC East teams!!!

They don't do divisions anymore, but your point is well taken. I will also chime in on the poor officiating that obviously favored Baylor. The refs were incompetent and have no business reffing another tourny game. the only reason I'm not going as far to say that the refs threw the game, is the fact that they did get the griner foul right that put Reid on the line to win the game..

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

On any given day . . . . Watching Mulkey's conduct gives me that much more reason to despise what she stands for and I've felt that way since Griners freshman year. Can you just imagine what Pat would have done if one of her players had broken another players nose? A one game suspension, I think not!!! And what I despise as much is this gives UConn a better chance to get # 8. I pray not !!!

PeytonWM18 writes:

I've had respect for Coach Mulkey due to her reverence toward our beloved Coach Summitt, but last night she acted like a spoiled brat and proved that you can't just throw a 6-8 giant on the floor, roll the ball out there and expect to win multiple championships. You also have to COACH!

I'm interested to see where both Baylor and ND will be next year without Griner and Diggins. It's going to be time for another Lady Vols run, with UConn right there, of course. Fun!

Everything old is new again, folks. Watch out, Geno, Holly is ready for you.

Go Lady Vols!

SummittsCourt writes:

1. Coach Kim Sulkey is one poor sport. She gets all of these bad calls which allows her team to get back in the game which includes a bogus T on Louisville's coach and then doesn't get one on her for her "manly" display of bad coaching. WOW! She ranks up there as one of the classless coaches of all time.

2. Griner, who played like watered down milk all game. Did anyone watch her reaction when the game was over? Not the bending down to consult Sims, but right as the buzzer goes off!

3. Griner, with all of the pomp and circumstance surrounding her WILL NOT go out a 2 time champion like Candace Parker and the rest of the seniors who played with her. Ha! Double HA! HA!

Candace Parker is still the greatest women's basketball player to ever step on a court in college basketball. Period!

4. Louisville will not play like that again Tuesday which leaves to door for the Lady Vols to catch them unemotional and drained. Let's hope so.

5. Coach Holly Warlick - NCAA Women's Coach of the Year! There is no contest from anyone else.

jdcdjc writes:

in response to VolMoment:

Agree 100%

drlaws#423622 writes:

I'm glad the referees finally got it halfway right with Griner and her fouls. In watching several Baylor games the past couple of years I've noticed she either fouled with her hand, arm or body when trying to block shots and almost never got called. If it had been any other player the fouls would have been called. It seemed to me that the officials were watching the games instead of watching Griner to see if she was fouling on the blocks. She also ran over a lot of girls while making her shots but because she was so tall the refs didn't seem to notice.

CrankE writes:

Having the women play the men's game? Well...Mr. Griner has played at Baylor for 4 years-is that what you mean?

Mulkey's display was unprofessional and absolutely hysterical. (Where's the T, ref!?)

I was interested to hear what she had to say post game. Predictably, the bobblehead doll whined about the officiating. Louisville got called for 10 more fouls, Baylor was in the double bonus, 3 UL players fouled out, they called a ticky technical on the UL coach. Seems to me that the refs did all they could to throw the game in Baylor's favor. All that was needed was for their SuperGreatStupendous player to actually show up and play the game.

What a game plan from coach Walz. Wow.

I doubt UL can shoot 16-23 against UT, but they are certified tough.

87and1dad writes:

in response to golfman1975:

Now that's funny!!!

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to CrankE:

What a game plan from coach Walz. Wow.

I doubt UL can shoot 16-23 against UT, but they are certified tough.

Kim Sulkey is the latest in a long line of classless coaches who get all the breaks and still whines when her team loses.

tenecvol4 writes:

Haaaaa - Couldnt happen to a better bunch- Kim Moapy showed her a-- and her true colors - what a classless display - I wish they would fine her for her comments - too physical she whines ? When she has pushin- shovin- nose breakin- elbowin Brandon plus the other thugs she has? And she whines about the two calls one which was a clear charge - and the calls went her way the whole game plus the bogus T? Then she goes off on the sidelines going nearly topless ( UGGGH) and I think I saw her hit or shove an asst - true class - glad we have Holly and have had Pat all these years to see a true classy coach -- never heard Moapy Kim give the other team any credit for outplaying- out smarting-out coaching them - just whined cause refs called em right -- Loved what our ex Lady Vol said on ESPN - when you play a bully you have to be a bully ! Good riddence Baylor and have fun in the NBA Brandon

tomkats3242 writes:

I am disappointed in the NCAA. All they are thinking about is the pay raise each gets by having us watch this type basketball. It looks like a NBA game where there are no refs unless there is blood, no ball handling, no professionalism and it is a knock down and carry off game. Where has the game gone too. The coach should be suspended for one year so others will not do the same. The refs were bad but not one sided. Basketball is a non contact sport. Maybe they should wear pads now days. GBO

MetroplexMojo writes:

Yesterday was the first time one school (Louisville) beat a men's team to advance to the Final 4 and Elite 8 in the same day

Flyfisherman writes:

Can't believe that Mulkey didn't get a T. I'm glad that she had some assistants keeping her from taking off more than her jacket. Officating was very much for Baylor. Louisville was fortunate to hang on and get the win.

richvol writes:

If the LadyVols go on to beat Louisville and reach the final four it will be a tremendous accomplishment. I have said all season that there was no way that this team could reach a final four yet they are on the brink. If UT gets control of their turnovers and shoots well they could win it all.

I am proud of them.

cheetah-vol writes:

I don't know what Walz said to get his T, but I guess it must've been worse than Mulkey's tantrum. A lot of people have said that CCM should take a T if he thought Stokes was being banged around too much. If Mulkey really thought Griner was being played too physically, then maybe she should've taken a T earlier in the game to try to send a message to the officials and support her team rather than waiting until post-game press conference to say what she had to say about the officiating.

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to JimmyJoe:

IMO it wasn't Griner that fouled the Louisville girl but the Baylor player trailing the play. She flat ran over the Louisville player. So, maybe not Griner but, definately a foul on Baylor.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Classic example of being too cocky too overconfident. I put the blame squarely on CKM. She has been overconfident all year and it has rubbed off on her players. I had mixed emotions when the buzzer went off and saw their players kicking their feet on the floor in disgust and disbelief. At first I was like look at them spoiled brats but in the end I felt sry for them because they were coached up to think they couldn't be beat except CW philosophy of one game at a time. Anyway let's bring down the Cardinal and reach the final four baby!

RLL59 writes:

It appears that a classless act by a coach brought out a group of classless posters as well.

John_10065 writes:

It was a badly called game. The refs should have gotten it under control early in the contest and put a stop to it. U of L decided their only hope was to turn it into a fight club style of game and the refs let them do it. Their coach even indicated that was what they wanted to do.

I've seen pick up games on city park courts that were less physical. I was wondering if they shouldn't have issued MMA grappling gloves for the game.

cheetah-vol writes:

in response to John_10065:

I agree that the game was pretty physical. But, if you noticed in the article, the Lady Cards had 24 fouls called to the Lady Bears' 14. At one point early in the second half, the officials had called 8 fouls on the Lady Cards and 0 on the Lady Bears. Also, the Lady Cards had 3 players foul out, which helped the Lady Bears with their comeback. So, while Walz told his team to be physical, his team came close to having it backfire on them.

I think the real bruhaha here is about the calls that were made late in the game and when Walz got a T and Mulkey did not. Those situations exposed how badly the game was officiated in its entirety.

tonyvick#213307 writes:

If she had won the game (and ref tried to give it to her) she would not have said that about the refs. I always felt she was low class and this prove it.

madrigal writes:

Lady Vol Nation, show some class and stop being hateful about Brittney Griner because of the way God made her. If you want to talk about how she didn't play well last night (mostly because she had 2-3 Louisville players hanging off her everywhere she went!) then do so, but stop being ugly about her. We are all as God made us.

As for the officiating, it was AWFUL, but it was awful on both sides. It was awful in the Duke-Nebraska game. It was awful in the Cal-LSU game. In fact, it's been pretty bad all along. I have been reminded frequently of the ref we used to love to hate, Sally Bell....who remembers her? But I was equally disturbed by the partisanship shown by ESPN and particularly Rebecca Lobo. No excuse for that!

Mulkey should have been T'd for her display, but it didn't happen. I was more appalled by her lack of class in stomping off the floor and refusing to shake hands. NO excuse for that. But I guess that's what happens when you just assume it's your RIGHT to win it all. She has till next season to think about that.

Nighthawk writes:

You little p*ss ants always attack winners. The Yankees, Saban, etc,. Mulkey IS a class coach who was fighting for, and speaking up for her team. A good coach should do nothing less. Baylor is a much smaller private school than most of their opponents and for the 1st time in decades they have a little sucess in their athletic programs. They lose and you "living in mams's basement" morons start crapping thru your keyboards. Get off your computer and go clean your rooms! GBO

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to madrigal:

We are all as God made us, huh? As Chas Bono if that is the case.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

We are all as God made us, huh? As Chas Bono if that is the case.

Ask,not as, but I think everyone gets my point.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to John_10065:

I agree. Early on it was apparent that the Louisville three on Griner were slinging arms and hands into Griner's face. The game was never brought into control. Not saying who the physical play favored, but it was out of control. Hope these officials are relieved from working any more in this tournament so the girls can play basketball.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Well said, Vol Moment.

Yes, the mighty have fallen off their perch.
Now, we shall see how mighty Baylor will be in the future.

Anyway, Tennessee knows what to expect now.

Absolutely. That freak Griner will be gone now, and Mulkey will have to try to win without him. That advantage is gone, and she just lost her best shot at another championship for a while.

John_10065 writes:

in response to cheetah-vol:

I don't think the difference in the number of fouls called between U of L and Baylor is a true reflection of who was getting calls their way.

By the very nature of the game, U of L would get less fouls on them because of the number of three pointers they put up. Baylor plays a post game and that will get more fouls called

They're was more ratchet jawing, flying elbows, hands in the face, etc. in this game that any I have seen in a long time at that level. That benefited U of L not Baylor and that was why Mulkey was POed at the end.

Mulkey was 8 foot out on the court at one time, she deserved a T at the end. Given all the physical play that went on all game, I almost agree with her about the charge call. By itself, is was a good call. In the context of the rest of the game, it should have been a no call.

And Griner did foul at the end inspite of what a few people, including Griner, are saying. You can't come over someone's back with contact against both the body and arms to block a shot and not expect a foul called. But it was a good foul ironically. It extended the game to the foul line with a 1 & 1.

emteebee writes:

I don't understand how Griner can be called the greatest player of all time when she only won one championship. Isn't that the bottom line? The game yesterday reminded me of Pat's team when Holdsclaw was going for her 4th ring. She didn't have it that night, Griner didn't have it last night.

butch31 writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

You were right about everything, with exception of CP being the best player ever. Cheryl Miller, was by far the best player ever. I haven't seen any female more skilled than her yet.

Mike_In_Storrs_CT writes:

It was the biggest upset of alltime in womens basketball. And all 8 teams left should really pat Louisville on their backs. Those girls played their hearts out. And they took care of a big problem for all the remaining teams. I know you guys are darn glad you team doesnt have to face Baylor in a couple of days. As for the refs, they have been god awfull in every game I have watched this tournament. Just god awful. I thought Geno was going to throw a chair the other night, when Kelly Faris got clobbered against Maryland and no call was made. But Mulkey should be ashamed of herself, Griner is one of the dirtiest players I have ever seen in the womens game. When Uconn played them, she threw Stef Dolson to the ground by the neck. And no call was made. By the way she had no chance of ever getting the scoring record either. The announcers kept saying she will finish second alltime now. But she needed 120 in three games (assuming they made it all the way) to even reach it. No way was she getting it. And my prediction about her almost came through. I said 4 years ago she would not win one national championship while many were saying she would win 4 in a roll. Well I was wrong, but all she got was one title. But good bye to Griner, and as for Mulkey, she can go back to being some average coach at best now that Griner is gone.

crossvoll writes:

You can't really blame Baylor, coach or players, for being shocked and disappointed. They had something like a 32-win streak snapped and they were in EVERYBODY'S bracket to win it all, I'm sure they had no doubt they would do a repeat and be going to New Orleans. They were stunned, and very few people can react immediately with grace and class right after a loss they didn't see coming. It usually takes time to get things in perspective. That being said, Holly has been a total class act this year. It would be great to go all the way, I have no doubt the LVs can do it if they take care of the basketball. Don't see L'ville making a repeat performance Tuesday night. I did want to play Baylor, though, with a healthy team, I thought we could take them.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to crossvoll:

You are wrong. Many players/coaches who were expected to win, but didn't have shown lots of class. It's only those who think they can't be beat who show out like some of baylors players and head coach.

volboy81 writes:

What a game!! I was for Louisville because it meant the Lady Vols wouldnt have to play Baylor, but when Baylor came back and it looked like they were going to win it, I figured that was okay because I'd sure rather Baylor win the NC than UConn. I just hope ND can beat them one more time this year. As for Mulkey, Ive had a like/dont like attitude about her since here LT playing days. HATED her then because she beat UT more than her share of the time when the Lady Techsters were a great program, but have liked her more as a coach the last few years, even if she is a whiner and has numerous hissy fits per game! Even though she complained about the refs (someone needs to!!!) she showed a complete lack of class last night. She deserved a T when she did her striptease act and Im pretty sure she shoved her assistant coach when he tried to calm her down. As for Griner, if I never see her play another game, it will be too soon. Great player, but Ive had about all I can take of her!! Will be glad to get rid of Skylar Diggins too. Go on to the WNBA...please! Congrats to Jeff Walz, a classy guy, but I sure hope he loses his next game!
GO LADY VOLS.........