Vols offense adapts to quickened pace

Tennessee quarterbacks coach Mike Bajakian gives direction to Justin Worley on their first day of practice in pads at their indoor practice field Thursday, Mar. 14, 2013.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2013

Tennessee quarterbacks coach Mike Bajakian gives direction to Justin Worley on their first day of practice in pads at their indoor practice field Thursday, Mar. 14, 2013. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

KNOXVILLE — Mike Bajakian wants his offense to play and move quickly.

So Tennessee's offensive coordinator wants his players thinking fast.

The pace goes well beyond the practice field, too.

"We talk about it: Everything we do in the weight room, everything we do here on the field, everything we do in the meeting room is fast," Bajakian said after the Volunteers' last practice before spring break last week. "If you've had a chance to sit on my meetings, I speak very fast in meetings for a reason, because they've got to be able to process information quickly. I don't ask questions where I get a dissertation for an answer.

Continue reading at The Chattanooga Times Free Press.

CroKev writes:

It will be interesting to see which side gets tired first when we play Oregon. I remember a couple of years ago when we were putting it to Oregon in the first half that their players said that our guys were breathing hard going into the locker room at halftime. Everyone remembers how that 2nd half went.

It seems the first S&C coach we had under Dooley (Wylie I think) emphasized conditioning and the next guy focused on strength and weight gain (per Dooley's instructions). I can only assume that this guy is some kind of hybrid, maybe leaning more towards conditioning.

Anyway, I sure hope it shows up in the second half this year, esp. on the defensive side of the ball.

nocleats writes:

Fast paced offenses can put their own Defenses on the field alot. Kinda felt last year the quick 3 plays and punt or >2min possesions didnt help a vulnerable defense that much.. Hopefully we will be a little deeper on defense this year but sometimes the best defense is to keep the ball away from the other team. Boring? Yes. But effective.

rb4346 writes:

in response to nocleats:

Condition and endurance of offense and defense will be miles ahead of last year IMO. Hopefully no more being worn out by halftime for defense.
We have a winner in CBJ but it is going to take time so we have to be patient with team.
I don't think we are going to see many 6 minutes drives in this offense. !!GBO!!

TampaVol82 writes:

It's football time in Tennessee!
Received season ticket renewal yeaterday, drank some Kool Aid and signed up for another year.Anyone else notice the 2013 schedule thay sent excluded the Missouri game? Typical cutting edge marketing via Dave Hart.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

This team better click offensively because 3&outs will force the defense into extra plays on the field, and that means more time to be placed in bad situations..If the QB's make the correct reads the chains will move and rest the defense..GBO!!

VolGrad writes:

I know I've made some pretty strong statements recently against last year's defense. But to their "defense," I do recall quite a number of big plays defensively. The only problem was that we consistently gave up the big offensive play following most of those (remember allowing the first down play after all those 3rd and forever downs?). We aren't exactly scraping the bottom of the barrel with the guys we have returning. Insert these guys into a scheme that they don't have to "think" too much about..., and I think we'll see them playing much faster on that side of the ball as well.

I'm expecting much improvement on defense this year. With one of the best offensive line units in the SEC, we will find a way to score as well. The next recruiting class, however, will determine how soon our Vols will be back to those 10+ win seasons. And we have a pretty good start with that class already.

Go Vols!

bigorangebolt writes:

Vol fans:

I am very impressed with the new coaching staff, but we must give them time! Our defense last year was one of the worst ever!
It would be nice to knock off a Florida or a Georgia, but I am hoping for a winning season and a bowl game. We must support our Vols in a great way! When, we come back,the whole world is going to know it! It is great to be a TN Volunteer!

CroKev writes:

in response to bigorangebolt:

Vol fans:

Every single one of us will be expecting (or at least 'hoping for') a victory against that Saturday's opponent, no matter who it is...