Pat Summitt's 1-year contract dips from $354,375 to $85,000

Pat Summitt

Pat Summitt

Pat Summitt and the University of Tennessee have reached an agreement on a one-year extension for Summitt to continue her duties as head coach emeritus for the women’s basketball team.

The university announced Wednesday that Summitt’s salary will be $85,000, which is less than a quarter of the $354,375 earned in the role last year.

The agreement between Summitt and the university stated that she can contribute to “the continued success of the women’s basketball program but now desires to devote more time to the important work of the Pat Summitt Foundation in the fight against Alzheimer’s disease.”

Summitt and the university agreed to the original one-year deal last April when Summitt stepped down after 38 seasons as head coach. She completed her final season after announcing in August of 2011 that she had been diagnosed with early onset dementia, Alzheimer’s type.

Longtime assistant Holly Warlick replaced Summitt as coach and received a four-year deal with a base salary of $485,000.

“We are excited to have Pat Summitt continue to be affiliated with our athletics department, and specifically our women’s basketball program, which she built into the finest program in the nation,” said vice chancellor and director of athletics Dave Hart in a statement released by the university. “Her continued example of leadership and courage sends an everlasting message to our student-athletes, coaches and staff.”

At the time of the transition, Summitt described her new duties succinctly.

“If anyone asks,” she said, “you can find me observing practice or in my office.”

Summitt was a regular at Lady Vols practices. She also served as a mentor to the players and the staff.

Senior Taber Spani made a point of seeking out Summitt before the opening tip at home games this past season and giving her a hug.

“You just see how courageous she is, being in the public, being at practice,” Spani said during the season. “That takes guts, no matter what’s going on, especially with what she’s going through. I don’t know how those qualities cannot rub off on everyone on our team.”

Warlick indicated in January that she values whatever presence Summitt maintains.

“She’s a reminder of where this program is and who built this program, the great tradition and how much respect we have for her,” Warlick said.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

Before the brainless begin to try to inflame true Tennessee fans, allow those of us who see Coach Pat as the treasure that she is to say we continue to support her involvement with Lady Volunteer Basketball...until SHE chooses not to.

There is no other position that makes sense.

chrisvol95 writes:

I love Pat, but hasn't she made enough money over the years? Considering the financial situation the university is in, wouldn't it be nice if she did this pro bono?

TommyJack writes:

Her value to the UT brand is immeasurable.

KCHS63 writes:

in response to chrisvol95:

Dave should probably go pro bono, too, since he hasn't actually accomplished anything yet. $50,000.00 bonus? For what?

chrisvol95 writes:

The jury is out on Hart - I believe he has only made one hire (Jones) and we don't know how that will turn out - nice try in shifting the conversation off Pat and onto Hart....

Millisa writes:

Congrats Coach Summitt UT should Fire Hart and Make Coach Pat AD

chrisvol95 writes:

in response to Millisa:

Congrats Coach Summitt UT should Fire Hart and Make Coach Pat AD

UH, Pat has Alzheimers

huntined#565710 writes:

in response to chrisvol95:

She will only make 85000 so she is not breaking the bank

LadyA writes:

WHAT??? The university is in a financial situation??? With all the money the Haslam's giving them??? Are you kidding??? Give me a break!!!!!!!

chrisvol95 writes:

in response to LadyA:

You are obviously uninformed - very little bucks in the reserve - paying off muliple former coaches - we are near the bottom of the SEC in reserves

LadyA writes:

in response to chrisvol95:

I watch and listen. Watch the money come in and listen to all the griping, but the university still rolls on, doesn't it?

cobragolfer writes:

thevoice writes:

Looks like those who liked Dooley, but find it difficult to admit 1) they were wrong and 2) that Dooley was the problem, are now blaming Hart.

NowHearThis writes:

My sources are saying her salary has been reduced to 85K.

ROADFOREMAN_KNOWS_ALL writes:

The ROI on this investment is priceless.

SummittsCourt writes:

As long as Pat Summitt is connect to the University it is a good thing. Congrats to both Pat and UT for keeping this going.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to thevoice:

I backed Dooley and I don't find it hard to admit I was wrong, but he wasn't fully the problem. Dooley was a Hamilton hire so Hart isn't to be blamed for what happened under the Dooley era.

GerryOP writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Her value to the UT brand is immeasurable.

What TJ said.

etu_vol_fan writes:

Dave painted himself in a corner by giving her the heave ho. This $354K a year is hush money to keep her quiet and not to spill the beans on what a creep he really is. They should drop Hart and go after Charles Davis. That is a guy with integrity and has the smarts to do the job.

xanga writes:

I don't think she should be paid to be a sideline cheerleader. just my opinion..and yes I'm entitled to it.

Vol1968 writes:

in response to Fall_Creek_Vols:

There is no other position that makes sense.

I must agree. Where would women's basketball be without Pat? She changed how the game was played in TN. In the beginning they limited us to a half court. Why would we take one inch of what she has built away?

bornin47 writes:

in response to NowHearThis:

My sources are saying her salary has been reduced to 85K.

Your sources being the above article?

The_Power_T writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

What is your solution? You always ignore this question, so I will ask again. What is your solution? What is your solution? What is your solution? Have you gotten it yet? Your solution will be to call me a sycophant and ra ra shaker and say something about Dooley and Hart. All you do is complain and whine and offer nothing of any real value. So let me ask again, what is your solution?!?

P.s. if you include the terms "delusional" or "had to go" in your response, it will not be read and you will have wasted your time

Goodvol_1 writes:

I think if you are looking at this from a financial perspective, you are missing the big picture. Pat is not only a treasure to the University of Tennessee, she is a treasure to women's basketball. She belongs to us and no one else can claim her. She built women's basketball. Every decision she made was for the good of UT and also women's basketball. She encouraged Candice Parker to dunk during games because it gave good publicity to women's basketball. It was totally against her "look at me" mentality that she hates but it helps the sport so she encouraged it. When you see the number of people who watch the Baylor games, Uconn, Notre Dame and others, Coach Summitt can take some of the credit for those crowds.

I consider it an honor that Coach Summitt would accept this position and spend her time with the Lady Vols, especially with her condition. My wife tells me that where you spend the most time is what you love the most. Coach Summitt wants to spend her time with the Lady Vols. I sure wouldn't want to be the person that told her she couldn't do that anymore. We owe her that and at any cost. I very much support Coach Summitt and her role with the Lady Vols.

eb502us#225637 writes:

Hart is obviously a Democrat and Obama fan.

Bigger gov't or in this case more spending when the coffers are bare is following the plan. Fiscal responsibility be damned!!

Hart will only get fired when a real accountant gets hold of the athletic dept. books. And then we'll be up a creek without a paddle. Sad.

vols_fan_n_tx writes:

There are some pathetic posts on this thread.

Congrats Pat. Glad you are still part of the program you built from nothing and made into a national power.

volforeverandever writes:

I am cool with it if Pat is.What she has done for the university is way more than most could ever do.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to Fall_Creek_Vols:

There is no other position that makes sense.

It didn't take too long for the brainless to chime in did it?

manoffewwords writes:

Whatever we pay Pat will never be enough for what she did for UT and Womens BB.

willwiegman#1417412 writes:

Pat, NO ONE does it better! I'm thinking you have Chronic Neuro Lyme Disease. I've had it twice and it's gone now. Get some Pinella to get rid of the brain fog and get back to work! Worked for me. Miss and love you much!

xanga writes:

in response to manoffewwords:

Whatever we pay Pat will never be enough for what she did for UT and Womens BB.

really? how much money has womens basketball brought to UT? I bet it loses the university money or at best breaks even. she made millions upon millions of dollars for doing a job. just because shes a good person doesn't mean she's entitled to free money. There are tons of teachers, tutors, doctors, and many other people who do nice things everyday and don't ask for a dime. Why doesn't she do the same thing? there's no difference between what she's doing now than those other volunteers. We are the volunteers aren't we?

GerryOP writes:

in response to etu_vol_fan:

Do you have a source for that nonsense or are you just making it up? Give you guys total anonymity while you hide behind a keyboard and you grow 10 feet tall with a mouth to match your height. You probably don't even know what an AD does but you know Hart is a failure and Davis could do a better job. Suuurrre you do!

madrigal writes:

in response to GerryOP:

What TJ said.

x2.

GerryOP writes:

in response to xanga:

How old are you? Maybe 17? You have no idea what Pat Summitt contributed to UT but also to women's basketball around the world. And you know what, she's 100% Tennessee. Come back when you grow up.

GerryOP writes:

in response to xanga:

Wow! I just checked your profile ... all of 8 posts! And every one of them is mindless trash.

Your just like half of the clowns on here. Get a screen name, a keyboard, and anonymity and you become giants in your own mind. Sorry if I accused you of being 17, you're probably closer to 11.

Now quit messin' with our momma's 'puter, get out there and powerwash the trailer, and then get back in here and study your spelling words. Do you have any other homework you need to get done tonight?

underthehill writes:

in response to Goodvol_1:

I think you speak for the vast majority of women's basketball fans....women's basketball would not be what it is today without Pat setting the standard and others working to reach that level..a true UT legend..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to xanga:

We are, you ain't..

xanga writes:

in response to GerryOP:

oh no you checked my profile...scary

GerryOP writes:

in response to Goodvol_1:

Well said Vol brother, well said.

secondcreek writes:

Hopefully UT is also contributing to her healthcare with the fog of dementia coming on...it's only fair.

vols_fan_n_tx writes:

in response to secondcreek:

That's a classless redneck comment. Bet it took you hours to think of that one.

underthehill writes:

in response to GerryOP:

OP..don't always agree with you..but I just about always get a chuckle at your way with words..wouldn't happen to watch wrestling would you..

GerryOP writes:

in response to underthehill:

Thanks underthehill! Yup, we have crossed swords a few times ... no harm no foul.

No, don't watch wrestling. Do you?

I really don't watch much of anything except the Vols, the Broncos, the Yankees, and occassionally other sports. IMO, the rest is just a vast wasteland. I did watch "The Bible" series last month. Very well done.

Be well...

underthehill writes:

in response to GerryOP:

No, don't watch wrestling. Do you?

Be well...

I confess..I do watch rasslin....now back to Pat..she is a UT legend..I have a picture in my den with her arm on my shoulder..got it at a golf tourn she sponsored..every team had their picture made with her and I made it clear I was going to stand next to her..I boasted and bragged that it was her idea to stand next to me..haven't found anyone yet who believes me..

cs.vols#670063 writes:

Why do we have to keep giving money away, isn't the school in a money crunch, and just keep giving more away like it is nothing.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to chrisvol95:

UH, Pat has Alzheimers

She would still be more effective...

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to cs.vols#670063:

Uhhh, when a coach transcends their sport (some have called her the face of WBB) like Pat Summitt or John Wooden they deserve any amount of money the university can cough up..If you remember her first years at UT she was being compensated with a Master's degree. 8 titles and over 1000 victories later her contributions to UT athletics are priceless..Thank you, Pat for putting WBB&UT on the map.

ColPhorbin writes:

etu_vol_fan writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Hart was fired from FSU with allegations of academic fraud in the athletic department. Look it up.

etu_vol_fan writes:

Pat opened up doors for young women to get an education that would never had been afforded to them 30 years ago. I find it sad that she was dumped by Hart. 38 years on the job and just dumped. It's obvious she is being phased out for the fact that her income is going form $354K to $85K this year.