Texas A&M's stadium to exceed Neyland

Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin, center, leads his team out onto the field before an NCAA college football game against Florida, Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012, in College Station, Texas. Texas A&M begins a new era with its first Southeastern Conference game after leaving the Big 12 Conference. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

COLLEGE STATION, Texas — Texas A&M’s Kyle Field will become the largest stadium in the Southeastern Conference after university regents approved a $450 million redevelopment plan.

The stadium’s capacity will increase from 82,589 to 102,500 in the expansion, making it just larger than Tennessee’s Neyland Stadium’s 102,455.

The renovation will began after the 2013 football season and should be finished for the 2015 season. The team will play in the stadium during the project, which calls for various improvements, suites and premium seating in a facility that opened in 1927.

The project will be funded by donations, seat licenses, student fees and ticket revenue, as well as a preferred facilities agreement between the Bryan-College Station convention and visitors bureau that will use hotel and tax revenue for the next 30 years.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

PumpGuy writes:

I see a 100 seat expansion very soon.

Orange_Beach writes:

I bet the Aggies can fill their stadium every Saturday.

BillsBrother writes:

in response to Orange_Beach:

I bet the Aggies can fill their stadium every Saturday.

They haven't in the recent past. I was there for a top ten match-up and found plenty of empty seats.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

in response to Orange_Beach:

I bet the Aggies can fill their stadium every Saturday.

Even the defending National Champ Gumps had trouble filling Bryant-Denny with Updikes every game last season, but everything is bigger in Texas. Maybe A&M will have better results in the age of HD television and more wins over Saban in their future?

BigOrangeFreak writes:

We should never have compromised and given up capacity for luxury expansion in the first place.

How much of the luxury box capacity is used since our renovation?

VolzsFan writes:

Why not? Their program is way better thanks to Hammy.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to WetumpkaThumpa:

Your jealousy precedes you!

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to Orange_Beach:

I bet the Aggies can fill their stadium every Saturday.

I bet they will too, for a couple of years anyway. The expansion starts after this coming season, then Johnny Football will be there for one more season. Then the excitement will start to fade a bit and they'll have a harder time putting butts on benches.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to PumpGuy:

I see a 100 seat expansion very soon.

The seats are already measured to fit a ten year old's butt. Let's hope they don't decide to increase the numbers by just making the seats even narrower. Wait! That's it! Make the seats in the visiting sections smaller and increase the number of seats that way. There. Problem solved.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

That's adding 20,000 seats to their current capacity. Let's see.....

If tickets sell for $50 each, that's $1M/game more revenue. That means 450 home games to cover the $450M investment. If they play eight home games per year, it will take them over 56 years and some change to do that. Oh yeah, and that's assuming they sell out every game. So, not counting concessions, etc, or interest on the $450M (which I'm sure they have to borrow), that's one hell of a big expense for no tangible financial return for more than half a century.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Not concerned about seating capacity, it's rears in the seats that count. UT should just worry about declining attendance and winning games this year. I was concerned about A&M being a good fit for the SEC, and from the start they appear to be a great selection to the conference. Kudos to A&M for increasing the value of the best conference in the land.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Your jealousy precedes you!

I didn't mean to offend you, I guess I forgot that there would be Bammers on a Tennessee website? My jealousy precedes me haha? lol

SevenT writes:

The last time I was in needless stadium was two seasons ago for the Kentucky game. I happened to have some connections so I scored very good seats right in the middle of the Vol people. I of course was wearing Blue. One of the Vol fans kept asking me:

"How did you get these tickets"

"You are not supposed to sit in this section"

"Did you buy them from a scalper"

etc. etc.

I finally got tired of her big nosed questions so I turned to her and her husband and said.

You know if the stupid Vol people were not completely ignorant about football and fired Fulmer this stadium would not be half filled with people in Wildcat Blue and the other 1/3 of the stadium would not be empty.

The moral of the story is of course the Vol fans are completely delusional. They like to think they can be Alabama, LSU or Tx A & M if they build enough seats. Unfortunately they stink so nobody will fork out the Cash to go to the games.

Just Saying

brod writes:

another stadium expansion. they will face the same problem as ut, georgia tech, and many nascar tracks. after the new is gone, many empty seats. nothing against a&m, but they should look at what has happened to other programs.

usafvol writes:

in response to SevenT:

"How did you get these tickets"

"You are not supposed to sit in this section"

"Did you buy them from a scalper"

etc. etc.

Just Saying

The last time you were in Neyland Stadium you were cleaning the mens room..

BlueHarley writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Your jealousy precedes you!

On a UT website at 2:27 a.m. Seriously.............

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Your jealousy precedes you!

Walmart's got a sale on Vienna Sausages going on right now. Might want to stock up for your road trips this Fall.

rbwtn writes:

How we quickly forget what a feather it was in our cap when Tennessee under AD Doug Dickie went to almost 108,000 what a tool it was in recruiting and all the publicity we received on TV. Quickly the Big stadiums upgraded to make sure they were the biggest. Then it settled down. The last AD Hamilton cared only about image not Pride and cut us even more. Frankly we should always be the Biggest in something and I'd keep our stadium the Biggest in the SEC. Most Stadiums in the SEC will be over 100 in the near future and I feel when we get back on our feet we can easily fill it at 108.000 like we use to. It was Fun and impressive for an old Southern Town like Knoxville filling a stadium with that many fans. What a Great recruiting tool. Remember Pride helps make a Team and from a School that's pro-active means a lot!

voloffaith writes:

in response to SevenT:

"How did you get these tickets"

"You are not supposed to sit in this section"

"Did you buy them from a scalper"

etc. etc.

Just Saying

Thot for the dayyy....katuns fan on ut site at 7:45am. hmmmmmmmmmm

on topic, congrats as we will concede you be bigger when all is said and done...wheeee....wait we can double deck the end zones...just bring the upper deck all the way down.That will give the people sitting below shade..especially the band...of course if they double deck we won't be able to see the band and their music will be muffled as well. Oh well there goes another 15k seats.....wah...wah...

orangepeel writes:

Thanks Mike Hamilton.

thevoice writes:

in response to brod:

+1. Thank you ESPN and HDTV.

KevDVol writes:

in response to SevenT:

"How did you get these tickets"

"You are not supposed to sit in this section"

"Did you buy them from a scalper"

etc. etc.

Just Saying

Your all time favorite coach has a Louisville Cardinal tat.

Just Sayin'

Volunatic writes:

Why would 7T be in Neyland for the UK game two seasons ago? That game was played at Commonwealth.

Vol43 writes:

in response to SevenT:

"How did you get these tickets"

"You are not supposed to sit in this section"

"Did you buy them from a scalper"

etc. etc.

Just Saying

Seven teeth, I can just see you sitting there in your little blue shirt and your little frail white arms talking smack to the Vols. Whom do you expect was gonna buy that? You're funny dude, really funny. Why do you always say "just saying"? I don't get it.

Vol43 writes:

in response to BlueHarley:

On a UT website at 2:27 a.m. Seriously.............

Blue, I was thinking the exact same thing. Incredible isn't it? Joe's got it bad.

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to SevenT:

"How did you get these tickets"

"You are not supposed to sit in this section"

"Did you buy them from a scalper"

etc. etc.

Just Saying

kentucky has a football team?

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to Vol43:

Live in TN. Read Sentinel. Didn't know time of day one reads a paper mattered! Apparently it bothers you. Repeat, you must be jealous. Article was about A&M, not Alabama, so here's my question: What does Alabama have to do with the article and why does it bother you!!!

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to SevenT:

"How did you get these tickets"

"You are not supposed to sit in this section"

"Did you buy them from a scalper"

etc. etc.

Just Saying

The Vols have twenty 10+ win seasons. The Aggies have 12. Even over the last ten years, which have included the worst run in UT history, the Vols have three 10-win seasons compared to the Aggies' one. Over the last ten years, the Vols are 72-54 compared to the Aggies' 69-56. The Vols have played in more bowl games than the Aggies have even heard of.

To imagine that we would have any reason to want to become the Aggies, just because they've had one great season (thanks to one great player) is ridiculous.

We are perfectly happy with our status as one of the top ten programs of all time. A Kentucky fan talking about football envy. That's rich!

BTW, it's those other guys all playing catch-up with us when it comes to stadium size. Only a few short years ago, Neyland was the largest in the country, just like Thompson-Boling is (I think it still is) the largest purpose-built arena in the country.

Vol43 writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Good grief joe settle down; don't have a coronary for Pete's sake. We just find it interesting, and rather amusing, that you would devote so much of your time on a Vol web site. Do feel you are an alabama crusader whose mission in life is take the battle to the enemy? You're a funny guy joe. Funny indeed

Tippet writes:

in response to Vol43:

"Just Sayin" comes from a cheerleading movie. I know this because my daughter started saying it after she watched the movie. I guess SevenT likes watching teenage cheerleading movies. I do enjoy reading his posts, every group needs a village idiot, and he's ours.

UTvols33 writes:

in response to SevenT:

"How did you get these tickets"

"You are not supposed to sit in this section"

"Did you buy them from a scalper"

etc. etc.

Just Saying

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Tool.

pcorange writes:

We need to fill the seats we have before this will matter a whole lot. Didn't we cut from north of 107,000 to the 102,455 a few years ago to build some "luxury sky boxes"?

UTvols33 writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

He was referencing the fact that even as good as UA is right now, even they can't fill every seat for every game so how does TA&M expect to. By the way, you are a loser.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to Volunatic:

That might explain why there were so many empty seats.

If he meant the 2010 game at Neyland, I hope he enjoyed watching Denarius Moore become the only UT receiver to get over 200 yards receiving in a single game. Oh, and the announced attendance for that 2010 game was 101,170. I wonder what empty seats he was looking at?

Last year there were some empty seats, and a lot of UK fans, but even 82,000 people is a huge crowd to a UK fan.

antonio14313 writes:

good for them. not big news. GO VOLS!

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

well said.

i even think that missouri was a good addition too, but not as good as texas a&m. and besides, aren't things bigger in texas anyway? ;) go vols.

t

Rookie2 writes:

Chair-back the whole stadium and quit worrying about capacity. In today's day and age if you want to fill seats (besides winning) you need to be more worried about comfort than capacity. If I'm not in a chair-back, I'm likely not going. My days of shoe horning my butt into a 12" wide seat next to some sweaty 250 pound behemoth are over.

snuffysmiff writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Don't you mean envious not jealous? Jealousy is an emotion dealing more with romance and human beings. Envious and jealous are not necessarily interchangeable.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

I here Tx A&M will use Alexis Texas in providing the dimensional seating for the new seats in their stadium...hmmm

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to pcorange:

PCOrange,

You're correct my friend. Same thing was done with TBA. We know the record crowd was over 109,000 with the Gators. I missed that one, but was there for the 1998 game, over 108,000.

This thing about 'largest stadium' is kinda' silly. If a school has the seats but don't fill them, it's pretty obvious it's a bit of an ego thing. For many years, Va Tech, for instance was in the top 10, selling out and yet their capacity was 'only' 60,000 or so. It's all about winning, actually.

Oh, and don't be surprised about the trolls still dwelling on this site. Still say people have problems to be hanging out on a rival's site, wee hours of the morning, dwelling with the same jealous rhetoric. We understand the whiners that claim to be Vol fans ( but are just gripers ) so don't read their garbage. We know who they are. The trolls on the other hand, like the kids Seven,8, and 9 etc.......... are just immature kids with nothing else to do.

Vol43, I enjoy your comments.........you are right on, but remember the several idiots with whom you've dealt, just want to play ping pong with the messages.

Go Vols !

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

You have logged onto a site called "GoVolsXtra", gone through the steps of establishing a user name that is one of the most stereotypical I could imagine for a paranoid bama fan.
And your argument is we're obsessed with bama??
Hahahahahahah

Go Vols

BigOrangeRock writes:

Alabama sucks.

UTvols33 writes:

in response to Rookie2:

Right on.

WetumpkaThumpa writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Please leave TN. I'm not jealous of anybody from a school with a fan base that poisons trees and joins other school's websites to talk trash. Football just isn't as important to me as it is to people like yourself and Harvey Updyke. Grow up.

weliketoliealot writes:

We should have offered an even trade for stadiums, we haven't filled ours in 7 years.

jaydubuc writes:

Who cares. The size of the stadium doesn't bring the team wins.

Vol43 writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

PCOrange,

Go Vols !

Yeah OC I do realize that, but I'm intrigued at the idiocy of these losers. Take rolltidejoe for example. Most people live in a house, condo or apartment. I realize we're talking about an alabubba so that could very well mean a wooden shack or tent. Anyway, most people have neighbors and from time to time may get together socially. So, here's joe yuking it up with his male neighbors and makes the mistake of telling them he likes to troll on GoVols for the purpose of jerking fans around. With no reply, they simply look at joe and then,amongst themselves, collectively wonder what kind of idiot is this? My point is people like joe don't realize that what they're doing isn't normal.

voloffaith writes:

in response to weliketoliealot:

What's this we bizness? You may like to lie alot , but not me. Yes, I have been guilty in the past,but my new nature is working on cleaning the temple til the Owner comes back to retrieve it and many others..............Stadium size really improves top 25 rankings right?

RockyTop1_old writes:

in response to WetumpkaThumpa:

Gotta watch what you say to Bammers, they may try and poison THE ROCK!!! GO VOLS!!!

Vol43 writes:

Orlando Brown commits to UT. 300 plus lb. lineman. Has offers from the whole world! Picks the Vols! Yea!