Johnny Majors thinks UT will be more disciplined under Butch Jones

ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Adam Brimer

ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL Former Tennessee football coach Johnny Majors, left, signs an autograph for Adam Lyvers during a meet-and-greet session at the Frank R. Strang Senior Center on Thursday.

Former Tennessee player and coach Johnny Majors was on the sidelines for several UT practices this spring and has visited with new coach Butch Jones a number of times.

His evaluation of the new boss?

“I like what he has to say, and I like the way he says it,” Majors said.

Majors, who turns 78 later this month, spent 16 season as Tennessee’s head coach, winning 116 games from 1977 to 1992. He signed autographs and met with seniors on Thursday at the Frank R. Strang Senior Center in West Knoxville.

“My first impressions are that he’s a man of earnestness, enthusiasm and high energy,” Majors told the News Sentinel during a break in the signing. “I would think he’d be very believable to the players he’s coaching and the players he’s trying to recruit.”

Majors also was impressed by Jones’ practices, which incorporate some new elements like music and microphone commentary from Jones but are driven by the same fast-paced philosophy that Majors used to run his practices.

“His practices have great tempo, they’re organized to the hilt and there’s nobody standing around,” Majors said. “I used to have a saying to the coaches who worked for me: ‘Coach on the run, talk on the move.’ They are certainly emphasizing technique, effort and discipline. That’s where you start.”

Majors offered no prediction on the 2013 season, but said he wouldn’t be surprised if the Vols overachieve.

“In the first year of a new coach, whether a team wins 70 percent of their games or 50 or 30, you can tell coaching. Maybe not the first game, but in a period of a few games, you can tell coaching differences,” he said. “I’ve got a feeling that we’re going to see a team that will be disciplined and not have unnecessary penalties.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Rosie writes:

Just please tell me Majors didnt say the same thing about Dooley.

usafvol writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Shows you ignorance which we already knew was abundant..

SevenT writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

He is the former UT Coach that hung out with the "Six Million Dollar Man" star Lee Majors and invited him to sit on the sidelines during games. Yea, I can see why you forgot about him.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to SevenT:

You two are really pathetic.

volforeverandever writes:

in response to SevenT:

He beat Ky most .every year as a player and as the coach.Did that to a lot of other people too.Was 2nd in the Heisman voting his senior year.

spencer1989#206886 writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Who the h#$l are you? Obviously no one and someone behind momma's keyboard that knows nothing about college football in general or the history of it. Go back to mowing your grass for momma so you can get your weekly allowance, wash her car, pump her gas, and wash the windows on your trailer home. (Your disrespect deserves my disrespect and distaste of you and your comment)

NYCApple writes:

in response to SevenT:

Looks like SevenTeenie gulped down his big glass of bulls milk early and has hit the keyboards everybody. He loves him some of that thick, proteined bulls milk!!!

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Okay guys, I've cautioned you in the past about responding to idiots. When you do it's like throwing gas on a fire. Ignore them and they'll probably go away.

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Who are you as wipe.

commonman writes:

in response to Rosie:

Just please tell me Majors didnt say the same thing about Dooley.

Yes he did.

usafvol writes:

in response to SevenT:

You guys share a toothbrush or what? Nevermind, chances are you don't even know what a toothbrush is..

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Both you and DC desperately need some new material.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Go back and read the article. You'll find your answers there.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

He's the coach responsible for the largest beat-down over FU in school history, 45-3 in 1990..Thanks for making that memory resurface..GBO!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Jeffy, why is it you always point to the same errors in judgement in JM's past?? I know, because the great things he did for UT far outweigh the bad. Also, have you ever made a mistake?? And were you forgiven for it, where's the grace?? Forgive him, Jeff. You have been forgiven (it is written) let it go, Serenity Please.

dvols writes:

Reggie Cobb

underthehill writes:

I think Butch Jones understands the value of Johnny Majors expressing his views about what he has observed..I know I do..the Majors family..not just Johnny..are a huge part of the history of UT football..

OrangePride writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Good gracious, you're over here too with your bitter venom? Look, CJM had some bad moments and paid for them with his job, but he also had some great moments and championships, so perhaps you might take a bit more balanced look at his record. Now......here is where I actually agree with you....Fulmer. A great, great Tennessee guy who brought Tennessee to heights not seen since the great days of General Neyland. But this is now 2013 and Neyland, Majors, and Fulmer are no longer coaching. So just get over it and lets focus on returning UT football to championship form. BTW....that isn't done with continuous bashing, character assassination, and bitter comments. I'll send you some orange tinted glasses and an orange sun visor if you want them....you might enjoy the new look.

CroKev writes:

I was at UT when Majors was there and I could tell you a few stories from the residents of Gibbs Hall - even though he could be a pain, guys like Reggie White, Bill Bates, etc. played their hearts out for him.

I remember that after he won the NC at Pittsburgh, Tony Dorsett asked if he could come down to Knoxville and play for Coach Majors (he was joking as his eligibility was up and the Cowboys had come calling). Majors first day on the job meant that almost everything in the Athletic Center was turned to orange. I remember one day the rehab tables were green and the next day they were bright orange. Majors wanted everyone to "bleed orange," something some supposed fans on this site should consider.

Majors could have stayed at Pitt and his legend would have grown but he chose, instead, to come back to his first love. Now a few of you know a little bit more of who Coach Majors is.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to CroKev:

I was at the game in 82' when UT finally beat bammer (World's Fair year). The players lifted Johnny on their shoulders and carried him to greet Bear Bryant. If that doesn't show UT's love of coach Majors, nothing will. I also was the second man on the North endzone goal post before we uprooted those bad boys. UT football and the World's Fair made one heckuva weekend in 1982..Fond memories..HBTV!!

OrangePride writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Good grief, but you are a sad individual. Read some of the posts above yours for some added balance. We get it, though.....you have lots of negative stories and those dominate your thinking. You know what? Fine. But those have NOTHING TO DO WITH TODAY. And I don't know why you suggest I am whitewashing Majors' past or use him to trash Fulmer. If you read my post, it was quite positive about Fulmer. Perhaps you are referring to others. And the past four years are not at all a "testimony to stupidity." Frustrating...yes. Disappointing...yes. In many cases wrong-headed.....yes. But if you go back over all your posts, you aren't right 100% of the time either. For example, did you not tell us how we would get waxed by NC State? Hmmmmm..........think you did, think you did. Have a better day anyway. Oh yea....GO VOLS!!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to CroKev:

Well said my friend..The name Majors and Tennessee goes like PB and Jelly..Johnny didn't produce a true winner until his 5th season but I have tons of great memories of Major's teams..I'll never forget the 1989 team walking into Pasadena; Night game at UCLA and we were a big underdog!!QB Sterling Henton's long awaited debut and he has a career ending injury but we had Chuck Webb and Roland Poles in the backfield!!!Drilled UCLA 24-6 and the entire team celebrated with 200 Vol fans in the end zone..Also hugging VFL Tim Kearns on the sideline after the Miracle in South Bend!!

OrangePride writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Hey! I happen to like a good chorus of Rocky Top.....and apparently you did too once upon a time. But I am proud of you Johnny for listing a whole bunch of good things....good for you. I think your "worst in the SEC" comment is a bit over the top, but you are right in that we have been declining over these last years. And just so you know, you're not the only one who sees that or is unhappy about it. My point is simple....I don't believe the "cancer" is as aggressive and growing as you. I also don't believe belittling CBJ is the right chemo to cure it. Here is what I wish we would all do.....you too Johnny......get some orange on, get over to the stadium whenever our pocketbooks and time allow, yell like heck (a phrase from someone we adore) for our Vols, and try to muster as much enthusiasm for going forward as we can. Oh....one last thing since we are having this love-in..... If you have been following Coach Fulmer's take on Jones and his renewed sense of pride, you might just consider following his lead. I saw him at Sami's not long ago and he was absolutely fully on board for what Jones is doing. GO VOLS!!

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Simply put, you are a buttwipe.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Keep on feeding the fire and you'll never get the flames put out. May I suggest that a lot of these posterd just exchange e-mail addresses and theuy can badger each other without having to subject serious people to their childish stupidity.

CroKev writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I was at that game as well during the World's Fair days. I didn't get to the goal posts until well after you did but I did eventually make it down there. Wasn't it Mike Terry and Lee Jenkins, who came up with the tip and interception in the endzone to seal Bama's fate? Now Lee's son is coming to play here next year. Good times in the past and good times ahead!

CroKev writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Thanks for your post. Tell me about Tim Kearns. For some reason I have Tim Kerin on my mind - UT's Athletic Trainer who died unexpectedly in the early 90's. Tim applied miles of tape to my ankles and knee while I was at UT and he always had a good yarn to tell back in the day.

FWBVol writes:

in response to CroKev:

We all have heard stories, and probably seen things both good and bad about John Majors. He was a great Volunteer, but there is no denying that like all of us he had his own personal demons.

I do have to disagree with your statement about his legend would have grown had he stayed at Pitt. Majors legally took advantage of the recruiting rules that were in place when Pitt hired him in 1973 and recruited a huge class that included Dorsett and enabled the Panthers to win the national title.

Even with the national championship, Majors record as a head coach away from Tennessee was 69-75-2 and that's hardly the stuff of legends.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to underthehill:

I will never forget the 1985 team that beat Miami and Michael Irvin in the 1986 Sugar Bowl. I enjoyed watching that game as much or more as I enjoyed watching the Vols win the National Championship in 1998. I will never forget Jeff Powell's 60 yard run and what Frank Broyles said in describing it. "He just ran right by a man that has world class track speed". Also don't forget the miracle at South Bend.

SewaneeVolFan writes:

As a Sewaneeian, Johnny Majors's mother was my third-grade teacher, and his father was the Sewanee football coach for the school's greatest football moments since the 1890's, when they were the "Champions of the South," and I know Johnny and his brother Larry, who was a big star during Sewanee's undefeated season in the 60's. Didn't know Bobby or Bill. Shirley Majors used the single wing up to the '70's.

Given that, I'm a Johnny Majors fan. Yeah, I've heard the stories about being rough on assistant coaches, drinking too much, and so on (hadn't heard the accusation about racial epithets, and I'm not sure I believe them, despite his good old boy past). However, his teams also provided some of the most exciting moments in UT football history, and he DID bring UT back to the point where they contended for the national championship, setting the stage for Coach Fulmer.

Furthermore, it is quite true that the basics and fundamentals were central aspects that both Shirley and Johnny emphasized to their teams -- team pursuit and gang tackling, wide receivers getting in more than one block on a play, instantaneous reaction to turnovers, and on and on.

Therefore, I believe Johnny is a good authority to comment on those aspects about Coach Jones, as well as to see the importance of a head coach to UT.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to CroKev:

That interception happened right in front of me. Terry was buried under an avalanche of UT orange (they wore all orange that day) and as soon as we could we rushed the field..

volman2008 writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

He is more of a man than you will ever be

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Its people like you that should have stupid branded on their forehead .

The_Power_T writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

"When I was coaching, you normally had four or five years to turn around a program," he said. "I still think you need that long to put a program in good shape, though fans aren't always as patient as they used to be. All these talk shows can be pretty negative, and the Internet is worse. Plus, on the Internet there's no accountability. Too many of these people can apparently say anything they want without backing it up. And there are too many people today living and dying with who wins these games."

That was the quote that most stuck out to me

underthehill writes:

in response to SewaneeVolFan:

I agree with all you say..As a player ..he more than made up for his lack of size with his courage and will to win..I think he did have a problem of being a human being and letting his drinking get out of hand at times in later years..that does nothing to lessen the impact he and his family had on the football program at UT...

underthehill writes:

in response to ModelMaker:

I was present at one of the receptions for Majors when he came back as head coach..it was a time when UT needed him ..more than he needed UT..I respect him for that..he had it made where he was...

antonio14313 writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

positive??? the only "positive" you know is puting 2 negatives together. such a waste. go vols.

t

cdldoc#211897 writes:

I would like a picture of Johnnie and Phil meeting at the center of the field in front of 110,000 applauding Vol fans at halftime before the old baztards die. They shake hands. The crowd roars. It would be legendary. It would be Vol History. Johnny would enhance his legacy 10 fold. Phil, too, would benefit. Old foes could be quieted. Butch could then proceed to win a National Championship. Old arguments could fade away.

JSmith525 writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

You know what I really don't get? I don't get why people with a persona like yours even bother to post on this site or any Vols site for that matter. Wheither it's true or not, one constant is that it's always negative. I actually laugh at the ignorance that negative people display. I actually feel sorry for negative people. But negative people do get me thinking. I think, "If these negative people had seen all the negative that I saw in my 20 yrs of military service, i'd bet that there would be a lot less negative people"!

Johnny Majors (born May 21, 1935) A standout halfback at the University of Tennessee, he was an All-American in 1956 and a two-time winner of the SEC MVP, in 1955 and 1956. He finished second in voting for the Heisman Trophy in 1956.
And should have won it!

That in itself should garnish Johnny Majors with the utmost of respect from true Vol fans.

I find that people who continue to live in the past and can't or won't look forward to and have hope for the future tend to make themself miserable and then fall into that rut of negativity. Don't you? Then when down there even, if they could make some awesome positive comments that ole negative persona just won't let them type the words! Eh?

Have a most awesome day & GO VOLS!!! Get em Butch!!!

P.S. Sometimes people get so far down there that they can't tell the difference between negativity and reality. Be careful it don't get you!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to antonio14313:

t

Antonio,

Good seeing you here my friend.

Hey.........once we saw this article was about Coach Majors, you knew what was going to follow.

Why, that would be Wilted Flowers. You see, along with Karl Kremser and Glenn Ford, this idiot includes Johnny Majors as yet another of the former great Vols with whom he is passionately jealous.

Once we saw the Coach Majors heading, you just knew the clown Wilted Flowers would pounce on the article like a fumble on the 1 yard line.

Any wagers as to how long the KNS Staff will allow the clown to spill his negativity on GVX?
If he stays much longer with his living in the past hangups, it will follow that he just must be a plant.

Do any of you Vols read his whiny posts anymore?
I assume the negativity is still there...since I don't read them anymore. Every one I used to read long ago dwelt on the insecurity with Kremser, Glenn Ford, Majors, the former coach and AD etc. So I assume nothing has changed.

Majors was THIS close to the Heisman award, should have won it, and is a big part of the great Volunteer football past.

murrayvol writes:

Agree we'll be more disciplined. Also think we've got a better chance of lining up correctly.

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

HE WAS Tennessee's coach while you had Gay Lynn Hall at University Florida At Gainesville (U.F.A.G.)

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

speaking of traitors "Packer Park Maverick"....

eVOLved writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

He was a good coach, but I don't think anybody would think better than CPF.

leedsvol2007 writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Majors like most of us has had his strengths and weaknesses.

You appear to be closer to sources than I was when he was fired but I was told by someone whom I consider reliable that his attitude regarding his salary negotiations, his speech at the Atlanta Quarterback Club after his heart surgery, and his showing up at practice without consulting with Doug Dickey & Joe Johnson that influenced all involved to decide to let his contract expire.

That said he also had a lot of pluses as a coach. He came home when Tennessee football had declined dramatically when he could have stayed at Pitt and had assured success. He campaigned and succeeded in elevating the facilities at Tennessee. And he had the uncanny ability to recognize coaching talent even if he ran many of them off with his abrasive management style.

Those who knock his overall coaching record fail to recognize that he rebuilt 3 programs that were at the bottom when he took them over in Iowa State, Pitt and us eventually rebuilding all the programs to a high degree of success.

And he would have won a national championship in 1990 with just a little luck. We had Colorado the eventual national champion on the ropes when Chuck Webb was tackled in bounds and the game ended in a tie, we dropped several game clinching interceptions and then missed what would have been the game winning field goal at Auburn, Chuck Webb got injured, Bama blocked a kick that bounced off a players helmet to field goal range in the loss to Bama, and Tom Carter made a great play on the goal line when Carl Pickens appeared to be wide open for the game winning TD against Rocket Ishmael and Notre Dame.

While his long standing feud with Phil Fulmer and his inability to see his own failings illustrates his flaws he also knows a hell of a lot about football and has meant a lot to UT as both a player and coach and deserves respect.

RedBoilingSpringsVol writes:

in response to Johnny_Aint_No_Del_Shofner:

Jeff Flowers=bitter old jock sniffing wannabe

spencer1989#206886 writes:

Did I not see a post from Walt or did I miss it? Wow, here is his golden opportunity to bash the one he hates and to promote his "idol and legend" and not a peep from him?? Like him, others cannot live in the present and realize it has taken every single thing that has happened to get where we are today. And....I live in the present not the past.

62vol writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

I agree with you. At a certain point, the responders are as much of a detraction as the original idiot posters that they feed. Just when it looks like an idiot post will be ignored, someone feeds it a response and then we are reading that stuff all over again.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Just like bringing in the former players it's good to get Johnny back in the mix too. All of us true Tennessee people need to stick together and get this freight train building momentum. Coach Jones appears to be doing all of the right things. I'm excited. I truly believe we are going to see a quick improvement.

Go Vols...former...present... and future!!!!!!!!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to CroKev:

Thanks Crok I stand corrected..Tim's name was Kerin and his dedication to the Vols was well remembered when the team honored him by wearing a clover leaf on the helmet..When the clock expired NBC panned to Johnny knocking Tim's glasses off in a hug with 2 smiles in disbelieve a mile wide..Great Vol moment