Iowa finalizes field of Battle 4 Atlantis; UT now waiting on bracket

The field for the Battle 4 Atlantis was finalized Thursday with Iowa joining a field consisting of Tennessee, Kansas, Southern Cal, UTEP, Villanova, Wake Forest and Xavier.

The Hawkeyes had been scheduled to play in the Great Alaska Shootout

The Vols will have to wait until the 2013-14 season creeps closer before a bracket in the men’s basketball tournament is unveiled. The field boasts two teams — UT and Kansas — appearing in most projected preseason top 25 rankings.

The Battle 4 Atlantis will be held Thanksgiving weekend, Nov. 28-30, at the Atlantis Towers Resort in the Bahamas.

The Vols return All-SEC performers Jordan McRae and Jarnell Stokes, welcome back injured forward Jeronne Maymon, and will introduce touted freshman Robert Hubbs. Tennessee’s 2012-13 season ended with a 20-13 record, a fifth-place 11-7 finish in the SEC and a trip to the NIT.

UT also traveled to the islands last season, going 2-1 in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off. The Vols topped UNC-Asheville and Massachusetts, while falling to Oklahoma State.

As it was at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off, UT will be considered one of the favorites at the Battle 4 Atlantis.

Kansas finished 31-6 last season, reaching the Sweet 16, but loses five starters, including likely top-five NBA pick Ben McLemore.

Aside from Kansas, Villanova (20-14) was the only other school in the field to reach the NCAA tournament. Iowa (25-13) lost in the finals of the NIT.

UTEP is coming off an 18-14 season and its coach, Tim Floyd, will find himself in the same tournament as his former employer, USC. Floyd interviewed for his old job at USC after former UT coach Kevin O’Neill was relieved midseason. Floyd was passed over and USC ultimately hired Andy Enfield, who led upstart Florida Gulf Coast to the Sweet 16.

The Trojans finished with a 14-18 mark.

After reaching four Sweet 16s in a five-year span, Xavier (17-14) missed out on postseason play. The Musketeers fell to the Vols 51-47 at Thompson-Boling Arena last season and are scheduled to host UT in 2013-14.

Wake Forest (13-18) finished with a losing record for a third straight season.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Great news for UTBB..Playing a tough schedule must continue if the Vols intend on playing in the big dance..GBO!!

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Kind of wondered who we would be up against in a tourney. Good to see this one consist of some quality teams with Xavier, 'Nova, and Kansas. Just hope and pray we can keep our guy's injury free. Also hope Maymon picks up where he left off before his injury. Ready for the season to start tomorrow. As always, IT IS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE. Class of 83

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to LSG410EC83:

Agreed, Maymon was UT's best all around player before that injury. We'll see, but I'm kind of hoping we get the toughest bracket..GBO!

alfrizzle097 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Yeah. Would love to see them play a couple of games against some recognizable competition. They generally play quite a few quality teams from lower tier conferences, but that isn't how you change perception.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Me too! To be the best ya gotta play the best. PLUS if we beat Kansas I can really give my nephew a reason to wear his UT hat more. He's lived in Kansas since he was three. BUT he still comes for visits wearing that good ole UT hat. I confess he has me wearing the jayhawk hat sometimes though. It's a healthy exchange.

I would love to play Kansas in any event because they also are a great school(that's for my nephew if he's reading this)(KU stinks if he's not reading this).hehe

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to alfrizzle097:

Yeh true but the "lower tiers" want to "change perception" as well. So I say get in some easy wins sometimes and everyone is blessed...unless we lose...or someone is injured...or a crack opens up and swallows everyone in the gym.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

If you want to reach the big time you have to do as Pat Summit always did. Play anybody anytime anywhere. We are going to have a very good team next year. We might even beat Ole Miss and Georgia.

Go Vols! Make us proud!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Your son is a KU fan?? Your family must be a trip during bb season..Too funny.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

We have been fortunate to have some good early season tourneys and also the Big East challenge..I live in Miami and the Atlantis is one of the few things in the Bahamas worth seeing..Pretty easy to catch a cruise ship there for some excellent BBall..I would urge any fan to go to one of these tourneys because your guaranteed at least 3 games and you sit practically courtside

If I hit that big Powerball jackpot that is now up to about $190 million, it strikes me that a trip to watch the Vols at the Atlantis resort might be a nice way to spend a Thanksgiving(;-P)!

volcraze writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Well, I live about 25 mins from Nova and have had to listen to these fans for way too long. Although we did beat them not long ago. That was more than enjoyable. Winning this tournament would be huge.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

That's ironic, I retired from the Palm Beach County S.O. in the early 2000's. I lived in the Jupiter area which at the time was rather sparsely populated. It's not that way anymore, especially in Broward/Dade counties.

brod writes:

in response to johnlg00:

i've been looking at the rates. it is not all that expensive. haven't checked airfare yet. 3 games in 4 days, what a way to spend turkey day.