Shooting guard Jordan Cornish commits to Vols

(Peter Forest/NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)

Brother Martin (New Orleans, La.) Guard Jordan Cornish committed to Tennessee Monday. (Peter Forest/NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)

Tennessee men’s basketball landed its first commitment for the 2014 recruiting class Monday night.

Jordan Cornish, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Brother Martin High School in New Orleans, wrote on his Twitter account, “Just committed to the University of Tennessee!!!! #GoVols.”

Cornish is rated as a three star recruit by 247Sports and ranked as the 128th prospect overall in the class of 2014 and the No. 32 shooting guard. He told the News Sentinel he selected UT over scholarship offers from Oklahoma, Purdue, VCU, Houston, UTEP and Wake Forest.

“When I called Coach Martin tonight to tell him I committed he told me that I resemble him a lot from when he was a player,” Cornish said. “That’s what he likes about me — that toughness that I bring to the table. That’s what he bases his program on — toughness — and I want to be a part of it.”

Cornish, who plays for Team Louisiana in the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League, said he averaged 16.2 points and 10 rebounds as a junior at Brother Martin. He described himself as “a big guard who can knock down the 3, get other guys the ball and attack the basket.”

Martin offered Cornish a scholarship “three or four weeks ago,” according to Cornish, who took two unofficial visits to the Tennessee campus.

“Coach (Martin) sees me stepping in behind (Jordan) McRae to fill that scoring role after he’s gone,” Cornish said, referencing McRae, the Vols’ leading scorer as a junior last season.

Cornish plans to sign his National Letter of Intent with Tennessee during the early signing period in November.

“Tennessee started recruiting me during my freshman year, that was Coach Martin’s first year there, and they’ve been on me the whole way,” Cornish said, adding, “I’m comfortable with those guys at Tennessee and I wanted to get it (a verbal commitment) out of the way early so I can sign in November.”

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

springtx_vol writes:

I know nothing about this young man and have mostly trusted CCM. But its this the best we can get? 128th overall, 32ND guard? We are trying to compete with KY and UF who are bringing in top 10 guards.

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

Well, UK and their super uber talented roster didn't make the NCAA tourney and got beat 1st round of NIT by Robet Morris.
Florida and their top 10 guards lost to UT's "3 star rejects"
so whats your point again?

Peoplecallmestag writes:

It concerns me that this story consists of one source, and that source is a teenager. Why isn't there any supporting attribution from CM or a high school coach?

This story, while possibly true, seems shaky with its lack of support.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

You put too much into ratings. He will have a whole year to improve anyways.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

I'm not sure but I don't think a lot of people had heard a lot about Michael Jordan coming out of high school and if I'm not mistaken, Buzz Peterson was a higher rated prospect. How'd that work out. I'm not saying this kid will be a superstar but you have to trust Coach Martin's judgment.

DC82_Vol writes:

Seems like CCM wants 4-year players. Ones he can develop, not like the one and dones. He has the resources to get top talent and he has pulled 5-star players. He certainly knows more about BB than I do.

HtownVol writes:

I actually like guys like this. Not a one and done but rated high enough that he should have a lot of talent. A very good player will be just as valuable as a Junior as a one and done 17 year old.

Plus, lets be happy we get a top 150 recruit. I will be thrilled to get 4-5 of those instead of a few guys that average 2 points and 2 rebounds(pops).

Remember Hopson was a 5 star, McRae was a 4 star. I would take McRae any day. Stokes was a 5 star, Maymon was a 4 star. Woolridge was a 4 star, Richardson was a 3 star. Thats 3 examples at UT is recent years where the lower rated recruit was as good or better than the higher rated recruit.

GO VOLS... Lets sign a REAL talented big man.

underthehill writes:

It seems to me ..UT will need at least 2 or 3 bigs for 2014..that can play..not projects..got enough of these type players..

springtx_vol writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

Florida and their top 10 guards lost to UT's "3 star rejects"
so whats your point again?

Okay, if you could trade beating Florida and not making the NCAA for losing to Florida and making it to the Elite 8 three years in a row, which would you pick?

If you could pick an NCAA championship one year and not making the tournament the next versus missing the tournament 2 years in a row, which would you choose?

So what is my point? We don't get enough good players to regularly make a deep run into the tournament. I understand completely the trouble with recruiting rankings and number of stars. Not every All-American in college was a HS All-American. But just like in football, the rule is the better your players are in high school, the better they will be in college. Yes, coaching means something. Yes, male players continue to get bigger/taller in college (see David Robinson). But there is a reason that Duke, North Carolina, Indiana, Syracuse, Louisville, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan St, Ohio St, and similar schools regularly make runs deep into March/April. Yes, good coaches, but you can't argue that they also get the top players.

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to Peoplecallmestag:

This story, while possibly true, seems shaky with its lack of support.

A college coach cannot talk about any recruit until they sign the LOI. But I guess his high screwal coach could have been interviewed.

What I find funny about your post is the "shaky with its lack of support" comment. Sounds like you are referring to the Legion of the Miserable.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Peoplecallmestag:

This story, while possibly true, seems shaky with its lack of support.

Welcome Newbie poster or previous who was recently banned now with a new name to play the game. Nc2a rules don't allow coaches to comment til the ink is dry during signing period.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

If Martin's been on this kid since he was a freshman than he must be pretty good..Martin is never going to recruit on the level of Pearl or Donovan but he is good at signing what I would call "utility players" that at the least come in and give you 9 or 10 minutes and at some point more and you hope for 8PPG from them. That's the direction Chievous and Moore are heading..Richardson was a mid 3 star on nobodys radar and he may well be all SEC next year. Josh at times was unstoppable,think how good he will be as a senior. By his Junior year Moore will be a 10 point scoring; rebound machine and who knows what potential Reese has!!I agree it would be great to have a Boynton or Kidd Gilcrist but short of us making the final 4;Martin isn't going to recruit at that level

VOLet_parking writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

This is what's called seeing the big picture folks.

volpreacher writes:

Well lets see. He's the 128th best player and there are how many NCAA teams? 68 get in the tournament, I'm not sure how many overall teams there are but sounds to me like we are lucky to get someone this talented. Not everyone will get the top 10 player. In fact only 10 teams can. Sometimes someone can get two but get my point?

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

With Cornish in the fold, if CCM can get Chiozza out of Memphis (PG) and two quality Bigs the 2014 recruiting class maybe looking pretty good.

bUTch_please writes:

in response to volpreacher:

Your point is valid as can be. Add to that, UT has had a moderately successful ball program forever. As a few on here pointed out, we're a good program, just not a historical top ten. That doesn't preclude success, it's just a reflection of mens' 1A.

It might as well be said that of those top players, how many? 6? 8? 10? a year declare for the league within a year or two making a smaller pool over the next 4 years for that recruiting class to contribute.

As a fan, I'm beginning to lose a little of my enthusiasm for a bench full of projects and have a concern that Coach Zo is coaching against ghosts of the past, not towards SEC and Elite 8 demands. But....he's the man...so...hopefully we'll soon see these guys bloom. And hopefully coach Zo can continue his success in adding at least one solid 5 star a year to the roster.

born2ride writes:

Who?

murrayvol writes:

Excepting Kentucky few schools will recruit multiple Top 10 (or even Top 25) players in a given year. Committed role players are the heart and soul of any team. They will stick around and become significant contributors as upper classmen.

If CoZo can simply recruit the best (or near best) player in Tennessee every year, Vol basketball will be competitive and a regular NCAA Tourney participant.

murrayvol writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

Good post.

Unlike football Tennessee turns out more than it's share of top shelf talent in basketball. For whatever reason (I would offer too much turnover in HCs) we have not been able to attract top players to Knoxville consistently over the years. Cuonzo has recruited back to back 5 star players in Stokes and Hubbs. We'll see if he can keep it up.

alfrizzle097 writes:

My first reaction to this is wondering why you would want a guy that maybe develops into a four star or maybe turns out to be a three star with limited growth potential this early.

I mean, if a five star is walking through the door then you sign him irrespective of if its early. But do you even know what guys you're in the mix for yet?

Peoplecallmestag writes:

I wasn't aware of the no comment period. Thanks for the clarification. I just get nervous whenever I see stories with only one source.

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

Florida and their top 10 guards lost to UT's "3 star rejects"
so whats your point again?

ding ding ding ding.we have a winner...great post !!!!! GO VOLS !!!!!

oldster writes:

I am willing to bet that CCM will speak to this young man as being long and athletic. These are the attributes which he seems to look for. He is not alone in this. Many if not most coaches look for this. Evidently, they figure that they can teach people who are long and athletic to shoot. If they do, I cannot see how they keep their jobs. Get someone who can shoot who is willing to work hard. That kind of person can score, and can be taught to play defense. Shooting, shooting, shooting - if they cannot to that, they should take up another sport.

in response to springtx_vol:

The kid is going INTO his senior year in HS. If he is still the 32d-rated guard and 128th overall at this time next year you might have a point.

in response to HtownVol:

GO VOLS... Lets sign a REAL talented big man.

I agree with all of this except the implied slam at Ndiaye, who we all know was a last-second insurance policy against Stokes going pro. A big body to practice against who was available on short notice, who MIGHT be a player some day, and nothing more.

I do think you have nailed Martin's general recruiting philosophy exactly. He is a "program" coach, not a "talent" coach. A smart upperclassman with decent skills should be a match for almost any freshman. A team full of guys like that should be able to deal with almost any bunch of "one-and-dones". The right kind of talented guy should be happy to join a team made up largely of Martin's kind of player.

in response to oldster:

Are you assuming this guy can't shoot? I did a little bit of internet sleuthing and, while I didn't find any FG% number, I did see several scout comments that said he had both driving ability and a nice touch from the 3-point line. He is a career 69% FT shooter, which isn't outstanding but probably about what most pretty good HS players average these days. As you say, no substitute for putting in the practice time.

in response to Peoplecallmestag:

A bit of caution is always warranted in cases like this. I googled Cornish and found a whole BUNCH of articles stating that he had committed to UT. None of them made him out to be a world-beater, but he seems to be highly regarded by the media in New Orleans, his home town.

BTW, Htown, I completely agree that Martin needs to land some young big guys who WILL be players fairly soon. All any of us can do is cross our fingers until we get some good news on that front.

volhitman writes:

in response to volpreacher:

I agree with you vp.The 32nd best shooting guard? Let's say of the rest, 5 are 1 & done. The next year maybe 10 are gone, grades and pros. Now in his Jr. yr. he's the 17th best in his recruiting class. How many of the other 16 are in the SEC? Maybe 5? I wouldn't mind having a top 5 shooting guard in the conference for 2 yrs.

Germanicus writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

Jordan was pretty well known, actually - two time all-state in NC, a McDonald's AA as a senior, MVP of the McDonald's game, averaged a triple double as a senior (29 ppg, 12 rpg and 10 assists per game) and was recruited by UNC, Duke, UK and others.

67classut writes:

Ratings? How many 5 star basketball players did Kentucky have last year? What was the Tenn/Kentucky score? In football, how many highly recruited players did the Gators have compared to Louisville?

BolivrBob writes:

Just hope he is not someone who needs to be "run off" inn two years

miatatom writes:

I'd sure like to see us get a commit from a highly recruited POINT guard. Anyone ever wonder why we can't?

OwensboroVol writes:

One thing regarding any commitment, get them on the Tennessee Campus for a visit and I believe there is a 80% chance they will come to Tennessee. I sincerely believe that our campus is our number one (1)recruiting asset. When my wife and I were there in the early 60's it was the greatest place I had ever been. Cumberland Avenue on Friday and Saturday nights, the Student Aquatic Center in the early fall and spring, Neyland Stadium for the games, Thompson Boling Arena (Back then the games were at the old memorial gym and then they moved to Stokely Athletic Center)and the list goes on and on. I sincerely believe that if we get a kid to visit campus he will commit to Tennessee. I guess I am prejudice, but I have been to all of the other SEC Campuses and most just don't measure up to Tennessee.

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

in response to born2ride:

Who?

That's also what the Gators said when they were told they were playing Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT. Chomp, chomp?

Share your thoughts