Jordan McRae invited to Kevin Durant camp

Albert Cesare/Opelika-Auburn News$RETURN$$RETURN$

Photo by Albert Cesare/Opelika-Auburn New

Tennessee's Jordan McRae (52) drives on Auburn's Brian Greene Jr. (24) during the game Wednesday at Auburn Arena. Albert Cesare/Opelika-Auburn News$RETURN$$RETURN$

Tennessee rising senior Jordan McRae’s NBA dreams received a boost Thursday.

Considered one of the top wing players in the country, McRae received an invitation to the 2013 Kevin Durant Skills Academy, a three-day crash course on NBA-based strength and conditioning and skill development.

The camp, highly attended by NBA scouts, is scheduled for June 28-30 in Washington, D.C.

“First of all, it’s an honor just to be invited to an event like that,” McRae said in a UT release. “It’s a great opportunity. I’ll get a chance to improve my game. I look forward to seeing how I stack up against some of the best wings in the country.”

McRae led the Vols in scoring last season at 15.7 points in a team-high 33.6 minutes per game. He flirted with the option of entering the NBA draft this offseason before opting to return for his final season at UT.

The complete roster for the 2013 Kevin Durant Skills Academy has yet to be finalized.

“Jordan is most definitely deserving of this opportunity,” Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin said in the release. “As a player, it’s valuable anytime you have a chance to test yourself against the best. I know Jordan will compete at a very high level and represent Tennessee well.”

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

cheetah-vol writes:

That's great he was invited. Good for him. I wonder how that invitation thing works. I mean, isn't Kevin Durant a bit busy right now to have invited him personally?

1vavolfan writes:

Heck Jordie you may have to play the point this year. Either McRae, a walk-on, or a Freshman will.

dlobh writes:

A point guard is needed? Still got some eligibility left and experience - played the point in Knoxville City League about 30 years ago, against a team with Mike Jackson, Gary Carter, Seth McDonald, etc. We lost, but only by 8 or so . . . though the only thing I remember is Jackson pulling up from at least 30 feet, draining the shot, and looking at me like I was useless.

If anybody has been paying attention to the NBA playoffs, Durant has become the "point forward" for the Thunder in the absence of all-pro PG Russell Westbrook. Durant has exactly the same build, though he is about 5-6" taller, as McRae. Even their games are strikingly similar. Anything McRae can learn from him will only be to the good. In particular, I would like for Durant to show McRae how he can weave between defenders out on the perimeter as tall and high as his dribble is without coughing it up.

VolYork45 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Great observations, was just thinking the same thing! Idk if I see McRae going to the 1, but I could definitely see something like how Durant and the Thunder are running. Stokes, Hubbs, McRae, Maymon, and probably Richardson. That's a talented group to have on the floor. Hate to lose Golden, but very excited about the group we'll have next season, and if McRae can take his game to even the next level, look out! Go Vols!!

in response to VolYork45:

If the Vols were running the true motion offense Martin has promised, it truly WOULDN'T matter that much whether or not they had a true PG. It is however necessary that all the guys be decent ball-handlers for their positions. A true motion offense is based on guys moving without the ball, with constant cuts through the lane. If the cutter doesn't get the ball, then he goes on through and sets a screen for somebody on the other side to cut toward the basket. You repeat that action until somebody breaks free. We haven't really seen ANY of that so far. That is one thing Martin really needs to emphasize for the upcoming season. Either that, or stop using "motion offense" to describe what the Vols are doing when they have the ball. Next year's talent is too good to waste even without Golden. They had better kick some butt, or Martin may well lose what appeal he may currently have with top-level prospects for the future.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

So far very good comments. I like it. Hurry up and say some more BEFORE the gossipers come along.

This winter is looking great for UT bball. I'm mixed about Golden. I think we'll do fine wothout him really. But he could have had a great sr. year. I think so. Nevertheless we've got talent here come bball time.

UTbasketballfan writes: