Tennessee defensive back Daniel Gray to transfer

Tennessee wide receiver Vincent Dallas makes a catch on a pass from quarterback Nathan Peterman as defensive back Daniel Gray defends during the Orange and White game at Neyland Stadium Saturday, April 20, 2013. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer

Tennessee defensive back Daniel Gray is no longer with the football program and intends to transfer.

Gray's departure was first reported by InsideTennessee.com and was confirmed Wednesday night by Tennessee athletic department spokesman Jimmy Stanton.

Gray made six tackles at cornerback in eight games, including one start, as a freshman last season.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

OwensboroVol writes:

It seems like bad news just keeps coming. I don't know how much Daniel was expected to contribute to next years team, but the fact he played as a freshman tells me that He was probably expected to play some. Lets hope that our Defensive backfield is a WHOLE LOT BETTER than last year.

CroKev writes:

Let the rumor mills begin...

tovolny writes:

KNS holds the news until UT posters make a fool of themselves. If you will call the Collegiate Sports Department at the Columbus Dispatch, they will tell you what happened. I know they cover OSU, but they know more about what is actually going on at UT than KNS. The Atlanta Constitution also knows.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

in response to tovolny:

Thanks John (Adams)..

maciste54 writes:

Players transfer all the time for a variety of reasons. Things are looking up for football. Don't be a downer. If the team followed some of you guys lead they'd never win another game.

grandtad#1402265 writes:

in response to maciste54:

Well said my real Vol Fan Friend! Seems as though we are standing around waiting for the sky to fall on Tennessee. I for one feel very encouraged about CBJ and staff. I think we are on our way to Orange Fame again. We just have to keep hope and be the fans our team needs us to be! Go Vols!

Nighthawk writes:

in response to maciste54:

Alex Bullard comes to mind.

THEKIDWISCONSIN writes:

We should be used to this (not the bad news) by now. New coaching staff (what, is this our 7th in the last 5 years?...) and they want different types of players to fit different types of schemes. It is what it is.

jfuston writes:

I believe he transfered because he got kicked back on the depth chart. Yeah, he started a game last year and got torched. The secondary last year was the worst in Tennessee history. We got a couple of guys in this year that are simply better. He wants to play, so he is leaving.

nocleats writes:

in response to maciste54:

True, When kiffin took over about 18 players left, then when Dooley took over another 10 left. So far under Coach Jones 3 players left early for the NFL (expected) and ONE 3rd team player is going to transfer. We have seen much much worse. My guess is there will be a few more transfer before August. Its normal EVERYWHERE.

fearthehound writes:

in response to nocleats:

Please stop. You make way too much sense, and besides, you're messing with our misery.

UTvols33 writes:

No reason? What a great article. :/
"Yup, they said he is transfering. I can't believe I get paid for this." -AP

BigBadVol writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Did your puppy just die or something?

laraccoon writes:

maybe he was on this site and read some of these posts and wants to transfer to a school with brighter fans .

CoverOrange writes:

Just hold on, the Truth Squad will be here shortly to tell us what is really happening with all the innuendo, rumors, implications and inferences they can muster without any credible evidence.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Cover, and fellow Vols,

The "truth" squad may very well be back, but get this..............

2 of them will be back ( if at all ) under a new screen name. They won't be here with the silly screen names we've been seeing.

cheetah-vol writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Last night, I drank my Doolaid along with a few shots of Johnny Majors and smoked Kiffin blunts.

I listened to the Florida St./Bama version of “You Cheating Hart” while having a conspiracy plan in the form of a Gator tattooed on my Cheek.

Now I am deeply in debt and owe everyone money, and all my ex’s are filing lawsuits against me.

This morning, I read from “The Book of The Truth Squad” where the stories of The Greatest and his disciples made me realize I betrayed Coach Phil Fulmer, Coach Butch Jones is the second coming of Dooley, and I am delusional, a sunshine pumper, and a sycophant.

It is written that unless I start posting apocalyptic comments with multiple screen names about the UTAD that are totally unrelated to the GVX articles others are commenting on, then I am destined to burn in Hades along with the rest of the VOL NATION who dare to say anything constructive or positive.

Gosh, now I feel so guilty for being a supportive VOL fan all these years. I must’ve been hallucinating. Boohoohoo.

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to laraccoon:

This is the most likely to be correct.

VolsUpsetYetAnother writes:

In all honesty. We could loose all of last years DB's and be fine. There was a lack of coaching, but what hurt more was lack of speed and having a nose for the ball. There's a reason for having Div II. Good luck Gray! Go Vols!!!

kyvol98 writes:

in response to cheetah-vol:

This is a Hall of Fame post!

OrangePride writes:

There was a line on the Inside Tennessee that contended it "was not performance related but had to do with unspecified violation of team rules." To my mind it's all rumors and I'm sure there will be more "facts" released in the coming days. Whatever the real reason might be, I hate to see this young man leave. I thought with the right coaching, he had a bright future at UT. And in responding to the inference of some on here; as far as players leaving Tennessee this year, I think given the circumstances it has been extraordinarily low. Seems to me that everyone has pretty much bought in to where we are going and the new staff.

StoneJackBaller writes:

Maybe Butch decided he wasn't a fit for the team or the scheme. Maybe he hadn't bought into what Jones is doing. I think it's a good sign that the weak links are being weeded out. Jones >>> Dooley. #ButchPlease

antonio14313 writes:

thanks for your contribution. good luck to you, so long as your wishes don't cross that of the UT Vols. go vols!

t

antonio14313 writes:

coach will probably move a safety to corner, if need be. go vols!

t

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to cheetah-vol:

That was funny. Thanks for the laugh

I got a copy of "The Book of the Truth Squad" on DVD. It stars Stephen Baldwin. They were gonna get Alec Baldwin but instead they went for the non-talented sibling that rode the coattails of the talented big brother. My only issue is I need a TV to watch it. Can anyone tell me where I can find a TV?

antonio14313 writes:

in response to laraccoon:

hopefully we're not that powerful! hopefully...

go vols!

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to fearthehound:

you literally made me laugh out loud! :)

go vols

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to cheetah-vol:

you're not alone. i'm definitely with ya! i feel bad too. go vols!!!

t

Biggie writes:

WTH? I read this story here at 2:30am and have been checking back to see if there are any updates. Does KNS have a reporter on this or did they just post this blurb and move on?

gc_scvol writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

That was funny. Thanks for the laugh

Now, that right there's funny I don't care who you are.

jimr07 writes:

in response to cheetah-vol:

Not nearly as guilty as i feel reading your post...blah,blah, blah.. that would have made more sense...

volnbig11land writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

That was funny. Thanks for the laugh

New poster (ahemmmm) billyboy might be able to help......

bUTch_please writes:

Hope his angles of pursuit improved over the spring or it'll take him 3 months to get off campus.

notorange writes:

in response to bUTch_please:

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to billythekid:

still waiting Toddygurl, post the link where the Steelers said they were going to take Bray in the third round and said he was the most talented qb in the draft

CoverOrange writes:

in response to cheetah-vol:

Don't feel guilty, you have been hallucinating. And now you can be healed, yes flock, I said hee-yelled, by the power of the Book of the Truth Squad right between the eyes! Yesss, sirree bob. And unlike Alex Trebek, when they give you the answers you don't even have to come up with the questions, because you know, deep down in your heart of sin, you know you were wrong to think.

Snapshot writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Cover, and fellow Vols,

The "truth" squad may very well be back, but get this..............

Hope you are right OCVOLS. It would be nice to post an opinion without getting all the conspiracy theories in reply, in particular from the "delusional" poster who shall remain nameless. lol

Original_Witch_Doctor writes:

Witch Doctor say not a bad move. Not much playing time would be available for him this fall. Hate to lose someone. Is a third string player off last years poor defense going to be missed? Me says NO. More talent now on team.

Bones never lie.

Original_Witch_Doctor writes:

in response to bUTch_please:

Witch Doctor say best comment today.

Bones never lie.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

After this news, I'd like to revise my prediction downward, from 4-8 to 3-9.

CroKev writes:

Does this mean we now have 31 schollies available?

cheetah-vol writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Yes. Any of us who post anything should feel guilty or posting what we think or feel according to him/her/them or whatever.

I've been posting occasionally on here for a few months, and there's always some BS comments from them that have nothing to do with the article being written. So, this was my final tribute to the truth squad for all the laughs they have given me.

I believe I read a comment from Knoxvegas that was asking people to do their best to ignore them. I agree. I feel like I've summed up their chants and rants, so there's really nothing else to say to them.

On topic: I agree with those who've said that transferring this time of year isn't unusual. Players have a few months to line up going to another school. I do feel for Daniel. He, like a lot of freshman last year, were scapegoated into looking like they were the problem when it was the coaching all along.

Shake_Bake writes:

I have no idea why he left, and we may never know the reason. We don't have time to worry about it, get another player to fill the spot, (if they haven't already),...and let's move on! In 3 1/2 months it's football time in Tennessee! GBO!!!

bUTch_please writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

Thanks 88. All I know is, last year, I was one 3rd and 23 conversion away from hari kari.

Go Team #117!

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Led by their 'lustrous potentate, One Placenta... uhh I mean One Percenter.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to CroKev:

Does this mean we now have 31 schollies available?

Funny you should mention that..Apparently, UT may have up to 33 scholly's available for the 2014 class. I'll be shocked if they use 30, but it would be nice to get a lot of quality depth with CBJ's first class..GBO!!

UTvols33 writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

After this news, I'd like to revise my prediction downward, from 4-8 to 3-9.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Loser.

UTvols33 writes:

in response to jimr07:

You'll understand soon enough....

UTvols33 writes: