Changes don't change course for UT men's basketball

NCAA berth remains UT's primary goal

Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin calls to his players as they take on Mercer in the first half during the first round of the NIT Wednesday, March 20, 2013, at Thompson-Boling Arena. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer

Though the weight grew heavy, Tennessee men’s basketball has emerged from a week seemingly subscribed to adversity.

Veteran point guard Trae Golden isn’t returning.

One-time incoming freshman Travon Landry isn’t coming.

A scuff mark is left behind on the Vols’ public perception.

Cuonzo Martin hopes the 2013-14 season will buff it off. Golden’s departure, he says, has no effect on expectations.

It’s still NCAA tournament or bust.

“It’s very important,” Martin said. “You have the personnel to be there, so you should be there. That part should be understood. It’s a given. You have the personnel, the pieces, the returning talent and incoming talent where you should be an NCAA tournament team.”

So that’s that.

Even without Golden, Tennessee returns two All-SEC performers in Jordan McRae and Jarnell Stokes. They’ll be joined, Martin hopes, by a repaired, restored and refreshed Jerone Maymon. The 6-foot-7 senior forward lost one year to a knee injury but is, by all accounts, on pace for 2013-14.

The meat of Martin’s roster, highlighted by rising junior guard Josh Richardson and fleshed out by incoming freshmen guards Robert Hubbs III and Darius Thompson, and posts A.J. Davis and Rawane Ndiaye, offers depth.

“I feel good about it,” Martin said. “Offensively, you’ve got a lot of guys who can score the ball. Defensively, I think you’ve got two or three guys who will be fighting for defensive player of the year. Then there are some talented young freshmen coming in. It’s very exciting.”

Martin is 39-28 and 21-13 in SEC play over two seasons at UT. Both ended in the National Invitation Tournament.

The upcoming campaign is crucial. An NCAA tournament is needed on the resume. That is, though, just a dot far down the road.

While Martin is ready to move forward, progenies from the week that was persist.

It began with news that Landry, who had been committed to UT since December 2011 and signed since November 2012, was released from his National Letter of Intent.

Common sense said Landry was nudged out the door. Common sense was confirmed when Landry’s father, John Landry, told the News Sentinel his son was asked to request a release from his NLI and Martin publicly took blame for the ill-advised “talent evaluation.”

The boom of Landry’s non-arrival was followed by the thunderclap of Golden’s exit. That came on Wednesday when UT announced his transfer. Reports surfaced citing academic issues as the cause, but the rumor mill still hemorrhaged.

These were only the latest events in an offseason rooted in the nuances of scholarship shuffling. Martin’s roster contained two too many scholarship players in mid-April.

Now mid-May, it’s one under the NCAA limit of 12.

Much of the reordering, including the signings of Thompson and Ndiaye and the transfer of Yemi Makanjuola, stood vulnerable to interpretation, and attacks. Critiques and criticism have stomped around for stretches of the offseason. All the armies — media, message boards, fans — have engaged.

It’s almost forgotten that UT has seen plenty of bright spots. McRae and Stokes opted not to enter the NBA draft. Monday night brougt a verbal commitment from 2014 shooting guard Jordan Cornish from New Orleans.

But Golden’s departure scribbles a new concern — UT does not have a point guard on the roster.

Looking ahead to next season, Martin says Thompson is “the guy right now.” But Thompson, a 6-foot-4 guard from Blackman High School in Murfreesboro, is built like a pinky and has only played point for one year.

“Then you’ve got Armani (Moore) and Josh. I don’t want to have Jordan (McRae) in that position,” Martin said.

That’s a tad light for a team with NCAA tournament hopes.

Thus, there still could very well be someone else in that position. Martin holds an open scholarship and some options reside in the transfer market.

“We’re looking,” he said.

In the meantime, the current Vols are back on the floor. The goal remains unchanged.

Despite Golden.

Despite a turbulent week.

“They want to be an NCAA tournament team,” Martin said. “They’re hungry. They’ve been attacking these offseason workouts.”

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I completely forgot about AJ Davis!!

NCAAs here we come. Plenty of talent this year.
Our starting 5 will be awesome. I don't know who that'll be in a couple of places. But again I can't wait.

Go Vols. I'm also excited about football...though it is a mystery right now.

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I completely forgot about AJ Davis!!

NCAAs here we come. Plenty of talent this year.

Go Vols. I'm also excited about football...though it is a mystery right now.

Right there with ya. Season cant get here fast enough. Barring no injuries, NCAA's should be easily attained. IT IS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE.

87Volforlife writes:

Should be interesting to see how playing time is divided up. The five best players are Stokes, McRae, Maymon, Hubbs and Richardson. None of them are really point guards. Martin says no McRae at point, and that Thompson is the leader for that spot currently. So ...

First Team

Third Team
Post - Ndiaye
Post/Wing - Reese
Post/Wing - Edwards
Wing - Campbell
Point - Open Scholarship

Getting Antonio Barton would likely give us the line-up to seriously content for the SEC Championship ... both of them! If not either Hubbs, Richardson or Moore likely will see time at point. NCAA or bust is right when it comes to Martin's future; that is for sure. Can't wait!

Cornish was a good get, but Martin needs to starting looking at post and point players instead of all these wing type players, it takes all kinds.

rclarkvols#224537 writes:

Stokes, Maymon, Richardson,McRae,and Hubbs.

5 Star recruits don't come off the bench if you want to get another one. If Hubbs can handle the ball he will start at point (ala Tyreke Evans). If not Richardson will come off the bench.
Just one Vol fans opinion.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

The one PG I was hoping UT had a chance with in Chris Chiozza out of Memphis White Station (2014)appears headed to the Gators according to the Commercial Appeal.

tovolny writes:

Can you imagine Duke, North Carolina, or Louisville not having a point guard. Is it Junior College time for the Big Orange? Why was the Golden thing a surprise? I love Coach Martin, but C'MON MMAANN!

oldster writes:

It is extremely hard to win at any level of basketball without a top notch point guard. They are comparable to a football QB. You can win with competant, but it is much easier with a Manning or a Brady. UT does not have anyone comparable to them and it too much to expect a freshman to be that (there is the occassional John Wall, I admit). Therefore, doing anything much better than a 20 to 25 win season, losing in the first round of the SEC tournament (again), and winning one or two games in the NCAA is building oneself up for a big letdown. Come down to earth by reaching reasonable expectations, or come down with a thud when the team drops you and your expectations - they always, always do.

BruisedOrange writes:

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't heard any real discussion of finding PG help out of the JC ranks.

Are there any worthy (on court and off) JC candidates out there?

Is there any interest from CCM in going that route?

Seems I remember CPS went that direction one year and collected another Championship because of it. A lot of stars have to align just right, though.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to oldster:

"if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all...doom despair and agony on me"

Hee hee hee haw haw haw

It's not that you're wrong exactly...it's the attitude!! C'mon man! By the time footblall's going we'll all be ready for some BBALL!!! No offense to any first year coaches.

oldster writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Hee hee hee haw haw haw

My attitude will have zero affect on this team - or any other of which I am not a part. I choose to "prepare for the worst, but hope for the best." In this case, I predict business as usual, but I am hoping for more. Disappointment is always hard to take, but particularly hard on us elderly.

SouthPaVol writes:

Shot blocking ability is important, but doesn't seem a priority in TN recruiting. Taking a charge is a turn over. Also important.

Yemi blocked shots, several of them. He also was close to leading the team in charges taken vs minutes played. I liked Yemi's play and thought he made good progress in 1 year; sad he is gone.

I like Armani Moore. He's our best leaper and probably best shot blocker--at 6'5". The guy is very athletic, passes well, drives well, and "does something" with the basketball--besides stand there and dribble at half court. Should Moore start? Time will tell, but he will contend...somewhere.

We have some good talent this year, some of the best in years. I'm looking for which basketball player will blossom this year, kinda like D. Sapp did at LB in spring football. Let the cream rise to the top. Go Vols!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to rclarkvols#224537:

Stokes, Maymon, Richardson,McRae,and Hubbs.

Just one Vol fans opinion.

Unless the 5* in question wants the team to win as a team. BUT I think you're gonna see Hubbs a lot somewhere. Hubbs better have some defense to beat out Richardson. Believe it or not I can almost see him taking some of McRae's time if McRae doesn't produce. I hope they're all competitive. I don't personally care about the 5* thing. I think Richardson has 5 star potential if he can find a more threatening offense. This is what excites me about this year. It should be competitive just to get on the court. Moore showed signs of good play last year as well. Chievous has natural ability. Reese can get hot off the bench. Dang we're gonna win it all.

ulp

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to oldster:

lol uhhh not laughing at the old part! I turn 58 on this month. BUT my doctor 10 years ago told me I had the arteries of an 80 year old.

Sooo enough of that stuff. I DO see the need for a point guard to present himself. We'll miss Trae but he wasn't a great point. I think he could have been possibly. Injuries I suppose.

Well we just have to hope the Thompson kid stays healthy and maybe that Moore learned a bit since last year.

PS disappointment is just a small part of living. I understand though. been there many times and especially conerning sports. UT and UTC

BUT UTC has a new ladies coach that will soon be a hall of fame coach. This could be positive. Jim Foster from Oh St!!

eduardo writes:

CBP could have rolled out of bed and won 20+ games w this team from last yr and yr before. This coach aint got it people!

SevenT writes:

When you think of Tennessee think cheaters. When BBQ BP was in the house he cheated to get players and ran gang bang thugs all over Knoxville. Now that Martin is in there we find he is cheating too, this time in the classroom to keep the dumb players going. The good news at least the Basketball program is in better shape than the Football program.

Remember BBQ Pearl and hot bimbo wife No. 2 comparing Pearl to Jesus? Or what about showing up at the Dols game without a shirt? That was high comedy. But nothing compared to this joker Martin. Martin will be unemployed inside of 3 years.

Lock That Up

MetroplexMojo writes:

Help control the troll population. Keep the trolls spayed or neutered (by not responding to them)

VictorKruger writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

Amen. If you use Google or Chrome, there is a troll blocker that works for this site, knoxnews and many other Scripps newspaper sites. Pay attention to the prerequisites:

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to oldster:

Don't know about that. Alabama won several NC in football without a "name" QB.

Good to hear Martin confess a lack of evaluation on staff. I am beginning to wonder if the coaching staff evaluates properly. Case in point the signing of Ndiaye (spelling?). IMO we would have done better looking at the JC to replace Big Mac.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Third Team
Post - Ndiaye
Post/Wing - Reese
Post/Wing - Edwards
Wing - Campbell
Point - Open Scholarship

Great points about too many wing players. That's exactly why Memphis never advances in the tourney under Pastner..They have an abundance of the same player. Long athletic 3's that are not good post players and get pushed around when they play real balanced lineups. You need some offensive rebounders and real physical PG's when you get an invitation to the dance..GBO!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Don't know about that. Alabama won several NC in football without a "name" QB.

Correct, in FB college or Pro you need a great distributor at QB, not necessarily a great athlete playing QB. I think Kenny Stabler, Terry Bradshaw, Darrel Lamonica, Phil Simms, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Kurt Warner and Joe Flacco all prove that theory to be true.The same goes for the PG in BB, if he's not the greatest player he can still be a great distributor and ball protector.

claiborneh writes:

How do you suddenly evaluate incorrectly? Doesn't this simply come down to the fact his senior year he could not hit a three pointer?

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Hee hee hee haw haw haw

I agree..All the stars were aligned for a great team nex year and Golden pulled the rug out. I don't think Thompson has the talent to be at Goldens level..Only the really elite PG recruits excel as a freshman.. Not sure what speed Thompson has but a PG that's really fast off the dribble is huge asset. Lopez is fast enough and a good ball handler but is a zero scoring threat. It is safe to say CCM will adjust the offense to what works and with Stokes;Richardson;McRae;Hubbs/Thompson and Maymon on the floor scoring should not be a problem. Still it would be unheard for teams like Indy;Louisville;Duke or Kansas starting the season without a solid PG

volsxsnos writes:

in response to SouthPaVol:

I too liked Yemi's game and we could probably benefit from his presence. But, all indications are he should have kept it in his pants. Stupid decision by an obviously either immature or arrogant or both young man. I hope others will learn from this example.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to BruisedOrange:

Are there any worthy (on court and off) JC candidates out there?

Is there any interest from CCM in going that route?

It would be great to find a nice JUCO PG but this late in the game that train has left the station and we have no scholarship to give..Martin's plan was to groom Thompson under Golden but that's out the window and the pressure is really on this freshman!!!Thompson made it clear he came to UT for early playing time..He got his wish

OwensboroVol writes:

in response to eduardo:

You are so right. With the talent available this year Coach Pearl's goal would have been to make the final four not just getting into the tournament. I think that after this year, unless we are willing to accept continued mediocre Basketball teams, the University needs to make a move. We should never just hope to get into the Tournament, that is phooey. We should go into each and every season with a goal to win the National Championship.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

Third Team
Post - Ndiaye
Post/Wing - Reese
Post/Wing - Edwards
Wing - Campbell
Point - Open Scholarship

Nice post my friend..Those line ups are looking pretty good to me..Martin loves recruiting athletic SF's as opposed to a true post player which is a mistake..He absolutely must sign a 4 star post player and a true PG that has blinding speed or we will be in big trouble after Stokes and Maymon leave..Looking back Pearl won big with Chism and Williams and Martin better wise up and do the same..If Thompson can't get it done Josh and McRae will fill the role

volsxsnos writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

DITTO. But, CBP is GONE and he ain't coming back. Get used to it and get over it.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

actually we do have an extra scholarship to give. Golden opened up another scholarship.

tennlions writes:

Lopez might be the dark horse here. If he averages 8+ assists and fewer turnovers, I could care less how many points he scores.

sameolvolalum writes:

Oldster. I'm sure I'm considerably older than you are and my four MAJOR heart surgeries and a couple of dozen broken bones (from training and breaking horses), and a broken neck and back no doubt trump your misaligned menstrual cycles and tension headaches. Nonetheless, I'm still running my ranch and actively living out my retirement You'd never have made it this far being so hung up on the negative goblins one's imagination can bring up. I'll pray for you,though, as we can all continue growing up. "As for those such as the ones calling themselves Owensboro and SevenT,et al; I'm disappointed in the KNS for allowing their trailer-trash talking and for those mental midgets who can't constrain their urges to fire off idiotic retorts.....feeding those Jeff Flowers groupies their doggie treats. I know I'm not alone in looking forward to a promising fall and winter for Big Orange sports in 2013/14. GBO and may God bless you all.

kazoo writes:

The team will have talent in the front court and at wing--but UT looks weak and inexperienced at guard, and that spells trouble, especially without a point guard. Good teams start with good guards--multiple good guards. I'm not sure we have even one right now.

wayoutwill writes:

Regardless of his statement Mcrae will be the point for this team--we certainly have lil' if any choice left,I belive it's the best way to start the season,and hopefully there will be a freshman step up--got figure that Martin will dig thru the J.C. ranks in hopes of finding a P.G. but Mcrae is the only viable option at this point,feel like we have enuff talent to compete but the players got to buy in to Martin much earlier than they did last year--was a complete joke that he has not been in the NCAA tourney the last two years,the Vols have gotten a raw deal and the continued practice of leeting these lil' teams in over major conf.teams is a complete travesty of biblical proportions!

coach75 writes:

in response to SevenT:

Lock That Up

yeah and this joker as you call him only spanked your helpless 5* laden kittens all over the court. and the football team is still better than yours.

bUTch_please writes:

in response to tennlions:

Agreed. I'd like to see Lopez get the job. Last year the team seemed to be more productive when he was in there as opposed to Trae. Huge issue for Brandon is his ability to get the ball up the court under pressure. His ball handling skills must make a massive improvement this summer. He has a great intuition for the floor. If ever there is a year that we don't need the world's strongest scoring point...it will be this upcoming year.

volsmith writes:

What is the course? More NIT appearances.

orangecountyvols writes:

sameolvolalum,

Good seeing you here. I like your positive outlook, and will be looking for your comments in the future. Nice to be able to ignore the trolls and several "others". Eventually, that group will be fairly bored agreeing with each other and not having any Tennessee people playing tag with their immature posts.

Go Vols, and Lady Vols

Since the Vols have one more scholarship to give, according to the article, it is to be devoutly hoped that Martin can shake loose a serviceable JUCO PG. Nobody should get their hopes up that there is a 6'3"/190+ PG with a line of 15ppg, 8apg, 3spg, 50% FGM, 40% 3ptsM, and 85% FTM, who is also a defensive demon, just waiting for Martin's call. But just maybe he can get somebody better NOW than any of the incoming freshmen. This late in the recruiting cycle, if he can't find a REALLY strong candidate for a starting position, maybe he can pocket that scholarship if it can carry over to NEXT year, when he REALLY needs to land a young big man with some real promise.

RememberWhen writes:

It is an absolute shame that this program is in the "NCAA or bust" mode! Seriously??? Not to long ago this program argued about what seed they would be - NOT whether they would even be in it!! But let's presume that somehow somebody will bestow some actual coaching ability in ole Zo and they do make the tourney. What then? Subtract those that will leave after next season from the roster and look at what's left! NOTHING!!!! In the best of circumstances it will be back to the drawing board - and the NIT if really lucky. So somebody PLEASE tell me what this man and his staff of incompetents has done to deserve keeping this job!! Please! Make your case!

RememberWhen writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Actually you're dead wrong. First of all, the "talent" on this team is about 3 players - Maymon, Stokes and McCrae - not exactly a trio that has anybody staying up nights. If you want to include Hubbs, so be it...but an unproven freshman on a not so good team usually turns out to be a not so good freshman. After that = NOTHING! Secondly, Pearl would not have a national championship goal with this group because he would NEVER have this group! Again, the big 3 are all Pearl recruits and the rest are Zo's - slight difference I'd say. Did Pearl EVER recruit a guy from JUCO that averaged 2 freakin' points and rebounds??? I would say not. Did Pearl go into year 3 with NO PG?? I don't think so?? Bottom line this team will NOT make the tourney AGAIN and then what will all the VFL faithful be saying to justify their blindness???? I'm as orange as anybody on the planet but I'm also a realist and the reality is this was a bad hire from the start and has only gotten worse!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

lol...look who's responding to who!?? just above if you didn't read it.

We have potentially a very talented team. Maybe a couple of sad posterers on here need to just enjoy life more. Pearls gone. "yesterdays gone...Don't stop dreamin' about tomorrow". That's my philosophy. But people have every right to be unhappy if they want I guess.