Armani Moore, Josh Richardson to participate in summer events in Dominican Republic

Tennessee basketball players Armani Moore and Josh Richardson will each head to the Dominican Republic this summer on basketball trips with a bigger mission.

Richardson will be making a second trip with Athletes in Action, a global sports ministry, traveling to the Dominican Republic from Aug. 8-18. The rising junior guard toured Germany and Poland last summer, recording a 6-0 record and participating in various service activities.

“I’m really looking forward to it,” Richardson said in a school release. “These trips are a great opportunity to experience different countries and cultures. I’m trying to expand my game, and playing for teams like this can really help a player’s confidence.”

Richardson averaged 7.9 points per game while starting all of UT’s 33 games last year.

Moore, a rising sophomore guard, will join a team sponsored by SCORE International May 24-29. He and his teammates will participate in outreach projects in Dominican communities, orphanages and churches.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what it’s like over there and meeting some of the kids there,” said Moore, who was inserted in UT’s starting lineup at mid-season and scored 2.4 points in 30 games, including 16 starts. “Basketball-wise, I want to work on taking care of the ball and improving on my dribbling and ball-handling. Those are the main things I want to try and focus on.”

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

underthehill writes:

No ..Armani..your shooting is the first priority..gotta get better and hit the jumper from the free throw line area..if you shoot 45 to 50% ..you'll play a lot of minutes...

Orangeblood13 writes:

say hello to scotty hopson for us lol

The Vols need for Richardson to be a more reliable scorer next year. If he gets to the point that he can just raise up and nail a mid-range jumper, he will be impossible to stop on drives; nobody will be able to afford to drop back on him, hopefully keeping a man too occupied with him to be able to dive down into Stokes' or Maymon's laps. It will also make for better post-pass situations; the defender will be up close on him, and with his length he can "step through" the defender to deliver an authoritative scoring pass. If Richardson improves as much next season as he improved from his first season to the last one, he will be a difference-maker on a team full of them.

Glad to see Moore realizes that he needs to be a more secure and productive ball-handler. So much the better if he also develops a reliable jumper, but he would serve the team's need better by grabbing hold of the starting PG job. He can help at both ends of the floor but he will reach his highest value if he can upgrade his ball-handling. If he can improve as much for this year as Richardson did last year, he too could be an impact player.

Both of them seem to be really nice guys who are sort of the "poster children" for "Martin ball(and recruiting)". They are both outstanding athletes; if their production catches up with their athleticism, this team's potential is unlimited. It is up to the guys to show by their improvement that they have worked on the right things this summer and gotten better at them. Skeptics are free to continue to doubt. "Potential" just means it hasn't happened yet.

in response to underthehill:

The Vols will have plenty of guys who can score. Moore is already probably the team leader in "rebounds and blocks per minute". If he becomes the secure ball-handler and distributor the team needs, he won't have to be more than an adequate scorer himself. He will certainly have to develop offensively to jump up to an all-star level, but for this year and for this team, I would rather Moore get better at ball-handling than shooting, if I had to choose one. I'd rather he did both, as I'm sure you'll agree.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I think Moore will improve his ball handling..looked to me like he was having a problem this year making the adjustment from high school to UT's level and just needed a bit of experience to know how to use his speed and jumping ability ..and I agree UT should have plenty of players who can score..but you have to be able to hit a high percentage of the shots Moore is capable of getting..I like his potential..

mocsandvolsfan writes:

DON'T come back with an ...you know. Stay healthy!!

It's good to put ourselves out there I suppose.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor wonder why we never send Ramar, Bobby Maze or Tyler Smith on one of these? lol. Witch Doctor say two apparently fine young Vols. Witch Doctor say Josh has become one kid you just like as you know hes giving ALL he has..Moore will only get better with time.
Bones never lie.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Ramar? Ain't that whut cha use to built concrete block walls?

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Ramar? Ain't that whut cha use to built concrete block walls?

Witch Doctor lol. Witch Doctor wonder hows his scoring in the Brushy Mtn. league? hehe
Bones never lie.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to underthehill:

Agree, he is the one player I have felt will make that leap and become a consistent contributor. He showed flashes this season, just needs PT on the floor.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

More of Moore!!!...I'm sooorry 'bout that.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

WE will definately need WHAT you said!! He's shown a little bit of drivin' power. Let's see if he can distribute. If he can handle as you said he'll be fightin' for startin' over Thompson at point. I can't see Richardson or McRae at point very often. Maybe early on some.
Actually Lopez may start early on some. I really think it'll be Thompson though.

Thompson/Moore/Lopez
Richardson/Hubbs/Reese
McRae/Hubbs/Reese/Chievous
Maymon/Chievous/Davis
Stokes/Ndiaye/Maymon

Golly we're gonna be competitive in practices. Right now it's in the players hands. How hard will they work?

underthehill writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Thompson/Moore/Lopez
Richardson/Hubbs/Reese
McRae/Hubbs/Reese/Chievous
Maymon/Chievous/Davis
Stokes/Ndiaye/Maymon

I have not seen Thompson play..talked with a retired coach friend now living in Mid Tn who did..he says he is not ready for the SEC..not very good 3 point shooter..dribbles the ball too high..did not dominate in high school tourney..hope he is wrong..but he is not the only one saying this..looks like another project..as the roster currently stands..looks like a lot of Lopez..as for Reese..I don't see him playing much if any ..based on his lack of speed and defense..

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to underthehill:

WE just need a ball controller to get it up court. Moore and Thompson seem to be the best options. I like Lopez though and hope he develops.
Having three potential points would be awesome. I think Lopez and Moore were both a little awed by it all last year. They should have been working on their game all winter and this summer also. They have to be ready whether Thompson works out or not.imho The film I saw on Thompson looked like he could move with the ball. I hope so. All they need to do is get it to someone in the offense. What I like about Moore is his potential at drivin' the lanes and putbacks. He stays with it. I'm very hopefull for this team. If they disappoint me then so be it.lol

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Has anyone heard anything about the Davis kid? I haven't looked him up. If he's good then maybe Hubbs can take point!!? We could actually run the ball more.

ok I'll let someone else talk now. Believe it or not I'm rather quiet at home.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

He had offers from Georgia, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Clemson, UTEP, Charleston...needs work on his handle...good shooter...3* rivals.com

ok ok sounds like another project. So was Chism, Maze, and even J Smith and Lofton. I love projects. It makes the coaches earn their salaries.

OK now I'm thru.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

ok I'll let someone else talk now. Believe it or not I'm rather quiet at home.

Davis is a skinny, 6'9" post player. Don't know if he will be strong enough to be much help next year, but he has good bloodlines--his father Antonio played a good, tough 10-12 years in the NBA--and like lots of young tall guys, his body hasn't quite caught up with his arms and legs.

It also isn't necessary that Thompson be a big contributor right away, but somebody DOES have to really step up as a PG this year. In order, I would guess that Lopez, Moore, Thompson, and Hubbs will all get a chance to see who can take the job.

I don't know what to think about the team's fast-break potential. Unless Stokes and Maymon come into the season ready to let 'er rip, they may not have the overall foot-speed to run a lot, though McRae, Richardson, and Moore can take it down pretty quick on occasion. Having both Stokes and Maymon is the Vols' best chance to dominate inside; if they do that well enough, they may not have to run to have an effective offense. If some guys like Thompson, Hubbs, and Moore can run effectively, play great defense, and show they can fast-break and drive, then they could force themselves into the lineup to the extent that the Vols might go with one post and have a pretty good up-tempo team. Lots of interesting pieces; the Vols could either look like a magnificent painting or a box full of mismatched pieces to a puzzle that won't fit together.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

good analysis John00. You always say things clearly. I tend to speak too sarcastic or too humorous. Most the time I'm the only one who gets the joke. Not giving myself praise there.lol The running thought wasn't a joke but might be if we tried it. Up-tempo would be a better hope. We CAN run off of the other teams turnovers and need to. And I would like to see us on some offensive fastbreaks more. It's just more fun.

PS to anybody that likes UTC...I really like Shaka Smart's former asst. coach that just took the UTC job. Will Wade will "chaos" us to death next time UT plays them. At least in a coupla years when UTC recruits some and UT doesn't.hehe
Chaos is what Wade calls his defense since he can't use Smart's name for it.