Former Tennessee cornerback Daniel Gray to transfer to Utah State

Tennesse's Pig Howard, rear and Daniel Gray, front, compete during spring NCAA college football practice at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tenn. on Saturday, March 16, 2013. (AP Photo/The Knoxville News Sentinel, Amy Smotherman Burgess)

Former Tennessee cornerback Daniel Gray plans to transfer to Utah State to reunite with old friends from south Florida.

Gray announced the news on his publicly accessible Facebook page on Wednesday morning.

Two of Gray’s teammates at Boyd Anderson High School in Lauderdale Lakes, Fla. — receivers Bruce “JoJo” Natson and Travis Reynolds — already play for Utah State.

Gray called Natson his best friend and wrote “NFL Draft 2016, here I come.”

Tennessee coach Butch Jones said last Thursday in Memphis that he believed Gray would transfer to be closer to home, although Boyd Anderson head coach Wayne Blair said Gray expected to be given a full release that would allow him to transfer anywhere.

Gray earned a start as a true freshman in 2012, but didn’t wow the new coaching staff this spring and also battled injuries.

Gray was the seventh player from the Class of 2012 to leave school without making a meaningful on-field contribution.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

voloffaith writes:

Yes Utah is close to....what Utah? Oh the friends for stability connection....ah that almost makes sense.....

Ayres_Hall writes:

Can this be the last time we speak his name?

AFL?

Prostar writes:

I really don't expect him to be missed. Whether he realizes it or not there is going to be a big culture shock after growing up in South Florida. I would give him a full release to go to Utah State and only Utah State.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

“NFL Draft 2016, here I come.”

Yeah right.

dirty_don writes:

in response to CantStandCantStandSaban:

“NFL Draft 2016, here I come.”

Yeah right.

It should be easy to get tickets to watch the 2016 NFL Draft if he starts now.

RunningWithTheVols writes:

Best of luck. Obviously, not a good fit.

Why would a player wanting to play in the NFL go to Utah St? Not impossible to play in the NFL from there, just not as likely.

DC82_Vol writes:

The one thing I thought Dooley would be good at, recruiting, and apparently, he couldn't do that too well either.

Like many people, I wanted Dooley to work out for the sake of UT FB. In hindsight, I am trying to figure out what he did well except entertain the media with his analogies.

Ironcity writes:

in response to DC82_Vol:

I agree 100% with what you said. As a UT fan we really needed him to be good if not great. What I am starting to wonder is what made Hamilton (I know he was a horrible AD)pick Dooley? Their just was nothing in the resume that suggested this guy would be even average. Oh well we will bet there soon enough. I just hope I am alive to see it.

gogovols2002#222335 writes:

in response to RunningWithTheVols:

Best of luck. Obviously, not a good fit.

Utah State had the last QB selected in this years draft.....Ahead of Tyer Bray

123forVOLS writes:

I think Daniel may be entering a Gray area in regards to his shot at the NFL. But I wish him well. The Vols will be fine...well I hope they will in the defensive secondary.

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Don't over-complicate things. With Hamilton, procuring a coach was kinda like being sent out by the wife for toilet paper. You simply go to Walmart and you get-er-done.