Jonathan Crompton signs with Edmonton Eskimos

Tennessee quarterback Jonathan Crompton (8) hands the ball off to running back Montario Hardesty (2) at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Oct. 31, 2009, during the Vols' 31-13 win over South Carolina.

Photo by Adam Brimer

Tennessee's seventh-leading all-time quarterback Jonathan Crompton has signed a deal with the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League, according to the Edmonton Journal's Chris O'Leary.

Crompton, who was drafted by San Diego in the fifth round of the 2010 NFL Draft before bouncing between four teams, is expected to compete for the starting job along with four other quarterbacks when Eskimos' camp opens in June.

A highly-prized recruit out of western North Carolina, Crompton completed an up-and-down career by throwing for 2,800 yards and 27 touchdowns during his 2009-10 season season, the 27 touchdowns tying him with Erik Ainge for third all-time in UT history at the time.

The Edmonton Journal story can be seen by clicking here

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

"It is Time" to get a regular job.

CroKev writes:

Anybody have an idea what a starting QB in the CFL would make? Probably still better than a "regular job" with a lot less total hours.

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to CroKev:

It's funny because I had the same thought. I have no idea what the salary might be, but I would guess low six figures. But who knows.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

Minimum wage is $45,000. I think the salary cap is 4.4 million with a 53 man roster. Average is $60,000 per year. They can get $3400 for playof games and $16,000 for a Grey Cup Championship. The players are also allowed to work in the off season at other jobs. They get 18 paychecks during the regular season which would average around $3400 per game week. Sure a starting QB makes more than the $60,000 but not much more.

cheetah-vol writes:

in response to CroKev:

I put your question into Google, and it looks like the average CFL player makes anywhere from $80,000 to $100,000 with QB's making more than that. That's enough to beat out a "regular job" and live in a comfortable igloo up there. lol

Nice gig for him.

CroKev writes:

Don't know if this is accurate but somebody posted this 6 years ago:

"An average salary is around $50,000. Starters can earn up to $120,000. The starting quarterback usually makes between $200,000 and $300,000. The CFL has implemented a salary cap for the 2007 season at $4.05 million."

laraccoon writes:

i forgot how nice the black jersey's looked , i wish U T would wear a little black more often i think it pops with the orange .

cheetah-vol writes:

in response to CroKev:

Don't know if this is accurate but somebody posted this 6 years ago:

I think I saw that post, too, when I was looking at different links. The salaries I saw were from 2011. Anyway, it was on the internet, and you know if it's on the internet it has to be true. Hah!

JSmith525 writes:

The eight-team CFL imposes a league-mandated $4.2 million salary cap for each franchise. The league minimum salary is $41,000 as compensation over a six-month season. This league minimum is scheduled to go up to $45,000 in 2013. As with the UFL, only a handful of players command six-figure salaries.

The upside of playing for the CFL is it is a stable league that has been established since 1958. Its former downside, being paid in Canadian dollars, is now a strength due to the fact that the Canadian dollar is stronger than the US dollar.

The downside of playing for the CFL is that most contracts are 2 years with a 1 year option. If a player does not have a passport, he will need to get one. Taxes may also pose an issue for the American citizen playing in the CFL. The first $80,000US made abroad is exempt from US taxes; anything above that will be taxed in the US. A common misconception is that Canadian’s taxes are higher, but if the player is making league minimum, he would be taxed at 22% in Canada, whereas in the US he would be taxed at 25%.

Another thing an agent has to keep in mind is his client’s position and unique skill. The CFL plays on a much larger field than those in the U.S. A Canadian football game is played on a 110 yard by 65 yard field, compared to an American field which is a 100 yard by 53? yard field. The CFL plays with 12 men on each side, with 1 receiver permitted to go in forward motion at the snap of the ball, similar to a rugby player taking a pitch at full speed. Because of these differences, undersized, smaller players have a greater chance for success in the CFL.

60s70s80s90s00s10sallvol writes:

Crompton was a good prospect out of N.C. He came to Tennessee during one of the toughest stretches in UT history. He must be pretty good, how many of you naysayers have every made a dime from your vast athletic talent? He kept his nose clean played hard for 3 different Coordinators and has had a not untypical attempt at living his dream of playing pro football and doing what he loves. He is a Vol for life. I respect and appreciate the kids who give it their all for Tennessee. Even Bray, not that I approve or applaud some of his actions, but for those of you who never did anything stupid in college, cast your stones, sorry for your boring life. How could anyone wish Crompton or Bray anything but the best? Most of the mouths on this site never played a down in HS let alone anything after HS. The ugliness and negativity is reflective of poor self esteem, bitterness, Godlessness, immaturity and hopelessness. This behavior is ridiculous and does nothing but negatively reflect on the program. I can barely read this site anymore. Get a clue. I cheer with bright eyes everyone who chose to wear the orange. All Vol all the time. Get real.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

Good luck in Canada, JC! Hope the Eskimos don't run the Clawfense.

OrangePride writes:

in response to 60s70s80s90s00s10sallvol:

I'm with you on everything you said. That young man was put through h**l for many, many weeks and he just took it, put on his helmet and came out and gave his all for Tennessee every Saturday. As for those recommending "regular jobs" I say, baloney! I want people to pursue their passion and their dreams with every ounce of perseverance available. ANYBODY can quit on something.....but it's the exceptional who continue thru the adversity and give it everything they have to give. Wish the kid nothing but the best. Go get the position and let the money take care of itself!

JSmith525 writes:

@ 60s70s80s90s00s10sallvol

Well said. I just ignore the worthless posts. Unless I decide to have a little fun with the naysayers/trolls. Most that post the negative BS aren't Vol fans anyway even though some say they are. They seem to want to post "their Truth" lol, I agree that those type surley must live a sad life.... GO VOLS

123forVOLS writes:

I am truly happy that Jon Crompton is getting the opportunity to possibly start as qb in professional football. So what if it's Canada? A lot of good players do well there. And who knows, he may like it or work his way back toward the NFL. Best to him as he makes this effort and thanks for the lumps he took and all he gave for the Volunteers.

Big_Orange_Aide writes:

in response to 60s70s80s90s00s10sallvol:

Nice post

I hope both guys succeed in life. VFL

jbc writes:

Article made me think of Nick Stephens. Looks like he is with the Cowboys.

KevDVol writes:

Crompton Comes Alive!

MR_VOL writes:

in response to 60s70s80s90s00s10sallvol:

Well stated! I am in complete agreement.

CoverOrange writes:

I never would have believed that JC had as many TDs as Ainge.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to 60s70s80s90s00s10sallvol:

Can you point out which posts were ugly and negative? I seemed to have missed that on this article.

OrangeCrush writes:

in response to laraccoon:

jhncpps1 writes:

in response to laraccoon:

NO...NEVER...This was awful...The win was nice but the jerseys were awful...Tennessee's colors are Orange and White ONLY (Baseball needs to figure that out)...also it was another Kiffin thing so another reason to never do it again.

kevin151 writes:

I feel bad for the eskimos, Crapton is terrible

GR82BORANGE writes:

in response to CantStandCantStandSaban:

Good luck in Canada, JC! Hope the Eskimos don't run the Clawfense.

That was so funny I had forgotten that offensive scheme, or rather I had tried to forget. Good luck Jonathan

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

I saw that too, but never fear. Look three posts AFTER yours.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to jhncpps1:

Disagree.

That particular combination looked awesome. The win was great. They were not a Kiffin thing. The players went to him and asked him if they could wear black for that Halloween game, and he gave it to them as a reward. I think it was a reward for their drubbing of Georgia. I could be wrong on that one, but it was definitely the players' idea, not Kiffin's.

UTvols33 writes:

Good for him. I always liked that kid.

kazoo writes:

Crompton was pretty much terrible at UT, though he played a little better the last half of his senior season under Kiffin. He's one of 5--count 'em 5--qbs on the Edmonton roster, and I read that two of the other QBs will compete for the starting job. So Crompton must esssentially play well enough to make the team as 2nd/3rd-team QB, depending on how many they keep. And I doubt he's making much money. Good luck to him.

murrayvol writes:

in response to laraccoon:

To each his own. I'm partial to Orange & White.

murrayvol writes:

in response to 60s70s80s90s00s10sallvol:

On this board "getting real" can go horribly wrong.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to 60s70s80s90s00s10sallvol:

Great comments.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to cheetah-vol:

Nice gig for him.

Good info, but what about the cost of living? Those giant print "Fun-n Easy" word search books I love so much are like $1.95 at the dollar store but cost up to $4.95 in Canada.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

I saw that too, but never fear. Look three posts AFTER yours.

There is always one in the crowd. Problem is the breed like flies.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

At least JC was wanted by the CFL, I don't think Tebow is even in CFL discussions these days.

eVOLved writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Wow, thanks troll. That's good info.

This reminds me of when I, as a teacher, chaperone the prom. You go and see the craziest, most immature individuals all dressed up and acting right.

antonio14313 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Disagree.

yup, totally the team's idea, and not kiffin's. and, i agree, it looked pretty good. i personally would like to have the jerseys black like they were, but the pants mainly black, but with orange stripes along the side, with white border on the orange stripes, similar to the numbers on the jerseys. oh, and with an orange T with white border on the hip of the pants. and keep it as a halloween weekend gameday uniform (which used to be south carolina every year, but this coming up year is at missouri). go vols.

t

antonio14313 writes:

...oh, and good luck CROMPTON! go vols.

t

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to 123forVOLS:

Seems to me that there was a decent QB named Holloway that had a pretty decent career up in Canada...

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say #yeasuckitnaysayersofthecromp
lol
Bones never lie.

agarn writes:

Good luck Jonathan!

iowavol writes:

in response to jhncpps1:

Disagree.

alraguc#466367 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

That's still more than the average salary for a college graduate.

alraguc#466367 writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

Do you honestly think he will stay up in Edmonton 12 months a year? My guess is he comes back "to the states" when the season is over. Even if he does stay, he can make some coin using his celebrity status.

claiborneh writes:

in response to laraccoon:

Are you kidding...I thought they looked like last minute strewn together vomit-wear.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to alraguc#466367:

Did you read the whole comment? I wasn't trying to be serious

CroKev writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say #yeasuckitnaysayersofthecromp
lol
Bones never lie.

Which is the real "Witch Doctor"?

kcbigorngX writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Disagree.

I know the students loved it...one of my daughter's first experiences in her freshman year.

jenna1009001 writes:

Hope Crompton does well in Canada. What Surprises me the most that he ranks as seventh most productive qb in Tn history. They must have not kept records for that long. I would think he is one of the least productive qb's

jjk writes:

in response to jhncpps1:

Totally disagree! Those black jerseys looked awesome! I only wish UT did the helmet to match that night, as it was Halloween. The Vols unis have been so boring over the years, and it's time they got with the times and broke out special jerseys for big games. Teams with bigger football traditions have.

steamboatticket#484773 writes: