Exclusive: UT, Memphis to renew basketball rivalry; football still in talks

Tennessee's Jordan McRae chases a loose ball with Memphis' Adonis Thomas during a game at Thompson-Boling Arena, Friday, Jan. 4, 2012. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Turns out January’s fuss over the death of Tennessee-Memphis wasn’t a eulogy.

Bringing order to a rivalry nearly gone awry, UT athletic director Dave Hart told the News Sentinel on Wednesday that Tennessee and Memphis have “agreed in principle to a four-year home-and-home series in men’s basketball.”

While discussions related to the universities meeting in football are ongoing, the basketball conversation has reached closure.

“We’re going to play,” Hart said. “We’re going to continue the basketball series.”

When the Vols and Tigers met on Jan. 4 at Thompson-Boling Arena, the affair was billed as the last meeting between the two for the foreseeable future. An eight-year home-and-home series beginning in 2005-06 had come to an end.

Memphis won the day, 85-80, to narrow the all-time series 14-11.

As he has been since he was a second-year coach in 2011, Memphis coach Josh Pastner outwardly objected to continuing the Tennessee series past this season. Prior to the January game he said, “We will not play Tennessee anymore as long as I’m the head coach and I’m doing my scheduling.”

Asked Wednesday about the potential of a new four-year home-and-home with the UT, Pastner, who received an extension for an undisclosed amount of years on a contract signed through 2015-16, said, “Whatever my athletic director says is what I roll with. We’re locked arm-in-arm on this one.”

In response to a request for comment, Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen said through a university spokesperson, “We have had talks and they do pertain to both football and basketball. Nothing can be scheduled until the American Athletic Conference works out its future scheduling issues.”

Hart and Bowen have spoken in the last three weeks about renewing the series.

On Wednesday, Hart said Tennessee and Memphis could return to the floor as soon as 2014-15. A meeting next season is off the table.

The schools are scheduled to meet in football in 2017. The game is left over from the previous contract between the schools — a deal signed in 2003 for five football times in a nine-year period and an eight-year home-and-home basketball series.

Hart said a basketball agreement between the schools will not be stipulated by future football games, but added, “We’re having very serious conversations about going beyond the one (2017) football commitment.”

“I think football is a little different in the sense of the variables,” he continued. “We need to see where we’re going in scheduling before we absolutely put something in stone that we can’t keep on the books. That’s not a forecast. That’s a common sense caution.”

A caution based on unpredictability. Memphis is set to embark on its new membership in the newly aligned and maligned American Athletic Conference. The league is home to the remnants of the Big East Conference and a jumble of nemcomers. Future scheduling in the AAC is tough when the future is unclear.

The same can be said for the Vols and down-the-road SEC scheduling. A switch to a nine-game league slate could trim potential non-conference scheduling opportunities.

Hart said a formal announcement will be made when a contract is agreed upon, but that “there’s no timetable.”

“I don’t want to set a false expectation there,” he said. “We’ll take that agreement in principle and turn it into a formal agreement.”

Tennessee leads the all-time football series 22-1 with the Tigers’ lone win coming in 1996 at the Liberty Bowl. The Vols have won the last seven, including the last meeting in 2010, a 50-14 thumping.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VolYork45 writes:

I think it's great the basketball rivalry is continuing. Poor Pastner can get over it. I think we have a decent fan base in Memphis, but keeping that exposure out west is important to land recruits out of Memphis, not just in basketball, but football as well. Go Vols!!

CrankE writes:

Darn, just when we'd gotten rid of them. lol

VolYork45 writes:

in response to mempuss:

+1, don't think he and Bowen are locked "arm-in-arm"..but they're sure locked somewhere else!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I would love to see a permanent bball rivalry. In-state. Both potentially perenial powers. Keep playing them at least till Paster's gone.hehe

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

We need a fb game thrown in there as well..Tyler Bray threw for half his career yds in that one game at LBS..GBO!!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I'll never forget the Cobb brothers. They should not have been at a school like Memphis. Cleveland High(where the brothers came from) could have beaten Memphis in the state champ days. They would have given UT a run for a quarter or two. The brothers did.

Virgil_Tutwiler writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Cleveland High School was not producing guys who could qualify for SEC schools at that time.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Virgil_Tutwiler:

yeh. Academics. It wasn't there abilities that kept them out. It was and is a poor attitude towards larnin'. There were some very athletic players from the state champ era. The Benny Monroe era. Like him or not he had great teams.
I think a few actually made it to college...the Cobb brothers for instance.

MikeInTN writes:

Good to hear!

John_10065 writes:

Perhaps all the bloviating about Memphis and U of L being the real rivalry from Pastner has finally met reality. After all that is what Pastner said was his reason to stop the instate games with UT.

Louisville doesn't give a hoot about Memphis. They care more about beating UK and winning their conference.

It smelled like feces then and the smell hasn't dissipated. It is about losing recruits to Knoxville. That is what Pastner is worried about. UT has made some inroads into west Tennessee and that rivalry threatens Memphis' dominance over there in the flat lands near the Big Muddy.

Snapshot writes:

I thought at the time Pastner made his comments about not playing UT he sounded a little arrogant. I guess his AD reminded him who was boss and who was the underling!

Couchdummy writes:

Good news! I think Tennessee is doing the right thing in beefing up nonconference foes on schedule. On another topic, what happened to Wes Rucker's Vol twitter postings on GoVolsXtra? Is he still with 247?

mike#208050 writes:

No so fast. Dave Hart is not getting it straight. It's both football & basketball or nothing! Clearly, Hart has a problem listening. This story rebutted in the Memphis Commercial Appeal by Tom Bowen, Memphis AD. One would think Hart would have had enough losing the last three games to the Tigers with all the talent Memphis has coming in next year.

stevefrommemphis writes:

There is absolutely NO REASON WHATSOEVER for Tennessee to ever play Memphis in football - period. Tennessee has nothing to gain and everything to lose.

I also think the same thing about basketball, but if Tennessee must throw a bone to Memphis (the town and the school), I guess giving them a basketball game is the least we can do.

If Memphis won't accept a basketball-only plan, tell them to get lost. Tennessee doesn't owe Memphis anything.

21 years, 11 months, 3 days before I escaped from that joke of a town. If heaven forbid I am ever convicted of a crime, I can say to the judge: "Your honor, I served my time in advance. I lived in Memphis."

stevefrommemphis writes:

in response to billythekid:

If Memphis, MTSU, and Chattanooga are going to be on the football schedule every year, Tennessee might as well drop out of the SEC and join the Southern Conference or OVC. It would most definitely not be good for Tennessee.

volbike writes:

Almost every UT fan hates having to play Memphis in football. We have nothing to gain but a boring rivalry?? and everything to lose. i guess I prefer the tigers though if the alternative is Buffalo or WKY.

PinballWizard writes:

A benefit of bringing back the Memphis football game is we receive a guaranteed "W" while also getting to play an in-state rival. Win-Win in my opinion.

bigsteve92 writes:

in response to billythekid:

How Is This Good. With The National Title Game Going To A PlayOff System. One IsStrength OfSchedule. That Would Put UT Out Of Any Contention WhenTheyReturn To Being Good Again.

VolYork45 writes:

in response to stevefrommemphis:

While I see where you're coming from and don't blame you, I think Tennessee has something to gain in playing Memphis in football. Recruiting. It reminds those players whose state this is. When we go to LBS, it's a chance for our coaches and players to be around Memphis recruits right there in town. It provides a greater chance for the coaches to provide the spark that eventually gets them to Knoxville for a visit, then to stay. Plus, it's way to regain ground from Ole Miss and Arkansas.

punkin writes:

in response to Couchdummy:

His woman up and left him. Can you blame her?

VolsFanInNC writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I think a few actually made it to college...the Cobb brothers for instance.

Didn't Carlos Thompson at least go to UTC? I unfortunately was at Bradley High at those times, and Cleveland was killing everyone.

rbwtn writes:

To even come up with the Idea was stupid but have to admit that Pearl put a hurt on them
and they got scared. Remember the good old days?

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to billythekid:

Because there are only 12 games in a football season. The SEC is, in my opinion, about to switch to a 9 game conference schedule. That leaves three open non-conference games. As a season ticket holder, if UT scheduled UTC, MTSU, and Memphis for those three games I would be livid. As Bigsteve92 says, just like in basketball, the out of conference strength of schedule will be a major part of choosing the play-off contenders. With those three, we would be shooting ourselves in the foot. It's great for the other three schools, because they'll financially benefit from it, where UT will not. Now basketball is a different story. Memphis is generally a decent to good team, so they don't hurt our non-conference ranking. I hope that clears it up more for you. We DO NOT need to add them in football.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to VolsFanInNC:

I didn't mean to sound like I knew a lot about the era. But occasionally I went to some games. I don't recall for sure but I think Thompson went to college on scholly. It may have been UTC. I wasn't actually going to UTC football games either. I went to mostly bball at UTC in that time frame. That's when T.O. was there if I recall. I should have watched him play football but instead I watched him play bball.funny

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to billythekid:

You're attempting to compare two incomparable sports. Baseball has many more games than football. If the football schedule allowed for it, then by all means schedule them. What I'm saying is we don't need to waste OOC games on the like of Memphis, MSTU, or UTC. And even in the midst of our terrible seasons, we've handleld all 3, or at least 2, with no worries. I would rather see Oregon on the list than MSTU or Memphis. Will we win? Well probably not, but I'd rather say at least we played the best than, oh well at least we're better than Memphis. And recruits don't need to see us play to know UT is better than Memphis in football. And all UT fans know the state of the program. We're struggling. But it SEEMS (notice the emphasis on seems) that we have a coach who can get us back to where we want to go. No realistic fan expects us to be awesome ths year. I for one believe we have the talent to pull off at least one upset this year, but only time will tell. The fact of the matter is we don't benefit from it. How does beating an in-state team seem good? So we can say "hey we're the best in Tennessee"? Well, guess what it's called the National Championship...NATIONAL, not state. So I'de rather play better teams around the nation. And I'm more enclined to think WKU would beat us this year before Memphis or MTSU would. Just saying.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I can't see UT playing 3 in-state games besides Vandy and maybe MTSU. There will soon be ETSU again. What about UT Martin? UT Nashville. Belmont. Who am I leaving out.

That said I can see us playing Memphis or MTSU(which is actually as big a school as Knoxville). We could switch them out maybe each year. Memphis will never be a real rival in football. BBALL? yes

More than one is a reach in football. More than two is impossible. imho

We also need the occasional game in the other gym. UTC, Memphis(especially), and others. Belmont. Just for state presence. Not year in and year out and not necessarily at home. We could open up maybe at home with one. Or go to their oppening. It's good for the program to be seen helping other state schools.

It all does no good though if TV doesn't carry the game. Public TV. Antenna would be great. For those games it doesn't have to be national I guess. But I really don't like the monopoly ESPN is developing. Sports South isn't much better! I want MY ANTENNA TV

Free TV. yeh. Commercials pay for it.

Did I forget anything?

The_View_From_Memphis writes:

The word here in Memphis is it's either both basketball and football, or nothing. At that point Memphis will work with another SEC program, or two, to fill the void. Ole Miss is already inked into future Tiger schedules for both sports. And it's common knowledge in Memphis that the school wants to have at least two SEC teams on the football schedule every year.

It's my guess that, if the U of M can't reach an agreement with UT, they'll rotate among Ole Miss, Miss. St. Arkansas, Vandy and/or 'Bama to fill the yearly void. All of these schools are much closer to the city, and already recruit Memphis HEAVILY. Check the rosters......

laraccoon writes:

I didnt hear anyone mention Tennesse Tech , their not above getting slapped around for a pay check, Iowa in 2011, Oregon last year and Wisconsin in 2013 . All schools play cupcakes, and some even play tiddlee winks .

bUTch_please writes:

in response to John_10065:

1,000 bonus points for using bloviating. Memphis State needs to thank their lucky stars they miss this years edition of Zo ball.

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to billythekid:

How are we scared? We've played both MSTU and Memphis within the past 3 years. Heck, we're starting out with Austin Peay this year. That's a Tennessee school. The argument you are now making has been happening already. Fact of the matter is, if we switch to the 9 game conference schedule, which I think we will, we will only have 3 available OOC games. With the exception of last season, we always have OOC in-state games. We shut out MTSU in 2011, and stomped Memphis in 2010. We also started with UT-Martin in 2010. I called you out initially because you said we should play Memphis, MTSU, and UTC each year. I can agree with playing one of those 3 each year, but they shouldn't be sought after games. There's been 5 seasons since 2002 where we haven't played either Memphis or MTSU, and each time we've played either one of them, we've stomped them. So I would say being scared is the last argument you can make.

RememberWhen writes:

Absolutely stupid! There is ZERO benefit to UT to play Memphis in ANYTHING! TN hasn't been able to get the best hoops players out of Memphis - EVER! - and CCM sure isn't going to be the first to do so. Football? Yeah right. Like a top player in Memphis is going to choose the Tigers over the SEC?? I'm sure Butch is much more worried about Memphis kids going to Bama, Ole Miss, Arkansas, etc than he is Memphis. Playing there means nothing either except a handful of fans don't have to drive 6 hours. Great...better off buying them all a bus ticket! For TN to treat Memphis as any level of rival is ridiculous - why reduce yourself to that Memphis level! Ignore them, they'll go away!

volnavy4life writes:

in response to mike#208050:

Provide the link where it is rebutted...maybe you are talking about an article written in January...well it is May now. Clearly stated, the 2 are separate negotiations. Now...I will say that if UT gets it's way in Basketball and Memphis doesn't get its way in Football...Bowen should be fired for not doing his job. I personally am happy to play Memphis in football as well as basketball...we own both series all time and gives us a extra exposure to recruit there.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

For once I agree with you..UT will never own that market bb wise, and they still get quality fb players out of Shelby County. Butch Jones has guaranteed more involvement in that area as far as recruiting Memphis. So, why play them in anything, they play in a dump (LBS) and never sell it out unless UT fans buy all the empty home seats. If UT plays horribly they end up with egg on their face (does 1996 ring a bell?). I say kick their arses to the curb, and save non-conference openings for USC, UCLA, Michigan or Ohio State..

volnavy4life writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

Stupid is as stupid posts...you are flat wrong on this RW. Tony Harris, JP Prince, Wyane Chism, Dane Bradshaw, Jarnelle Stokes ring a bell? Tony Harris broke Memphis's heart in 97 when he chose UT and then beat them 4 years in a row at UT and was All-SEC. As far as football...we aren't in Memphis to steal recruits from U of Memphis, we want to be there to steal them from Bama, Ole Miss, AR etc. As far as traveling, the teams we would replace Memphis with are teams like Wyoming...last time I checked Memphis is closer than Wyoming. Don't be so shortsighted it's a benefit to UT in many ways.

Sir_Spanky writes:

The bottom line here is that the powers that be at Tiger High are more interested in the money that can be made from prostituting themselves on the football field than any concern they might have with what Josh Pastner thinks.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to billythekid:

Is Memphis the nickname of your BFF??

in response to billythekid:

Gotta say I agree with you on this one. It is as certain as sunrise that SEC schools won't want to schedule more than one "real" out-of-conference game if they have to play nine SEC games. As long as UT continues, along with the current contending powers, to schedule non-BCS creampuffs, they might as well be against OUR state's creampuffs. As long as they are going to sell themselves as sacrificial lambs for big payouts, they might as well sell themselves to UT.

All the big state schools in the SEC could do the same. Everybody's money is tight; games against familiar schools with their own followings would boost attendance for what would otherwise be unappealing matchups. It would also help support the smaller programs and keep more of their money in-state. Any resulting good-will wouldn't hurt anybody. The home team would be more alert to the possibility of an upset to an in-state opponent, so they would presumably be more fired-up than they would against Directional-State U. from just anywhere. The Vols, for example, might keep a playing edge that they might have lost against a "weaker" opponent in a game with no emotional component. Fans of the "smaller" schools would be glad to get a chance to buy a ticket to their team v. the Vols; Vols' season-ticket holders might feel a little less exploited paying for a "low-level" game against the school your brother-in-law went to!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to billythekid:

Oh, you're a troll?? My bad, never mind..

RememberWhen writes:

in response to volnavy4life:

well you certainly proved your first phrase correct. Learn to read though. Never said TN doesn't get ANY players out of Memphis. Of course they've had a few. But the the list of those better than the ones you name is only about 10 times longer and they ALL went elsewhere. Now tell me how many Memphis kids have been great in football at TN? Again the list going elsewhere is ridiculously longer. How many Memphis kids are on the current roster? How many Memphis kids have even started for TN in the last 10 years? And scheduling? Hell, MTSU is better than Memphis! Last time I checked UAB and Troy and Monroe and Western KY and about 25 others are better than playing Memphis too! So rather than prove your stupidity, tell us FACTUALLY what all those benefits to TN are!

RememberWhen writes:

in response to billythekid:

do you really know so little about everything? Baseball isn't even a legitimate argument. First they play alot more games therefore have much greater flexibility with scheduling. Second, they have much less budget therefore travel must be managed much tighter. FYI, it costs a lot less to take a bus to Cookeville, Murfreesboro, JohnsonCity, etc. Third, the pre-conf and mid-week games are mostly in state to reduce lost class time and - at least for good programs - to rack up wins. Many more reasons yours is an idiotic comparison but given all you've posted on this topic (and others) it's apparent you have no ability to understand so we'll just continue to laugh at you.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to billythekid:

More babbling proof of your Trollness. Quit saying "we", and get a life outside of harassing Real Vol fans on VOL board.

Colliervol writes:

First strike against Dave Hart in my book if he continues playing Memphis in anything. My position on this has never changed. We gain nothing by playing them. An absolute NO to a football game. And if we want a basketball game for exposure in this area, play a non-conference foe at the Desoto Civic Center. Seats about 8,000 for basketball and that would satisfy our local alumni base.

I've lived with these sad sack fans down here for 35 years. They despise Tennessee and only like it when we add money to their budget. They contribute nothing to us and I see no reason to pad their coffers. Get rid of them.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Colliervol:

That pretty much sums it up for me. I played fb at Memphis for Richard Williamson/Rex Dockery and have always been at odds with the Memphis perception of UT. Growing up a UT backer in Jackson TN, I was not aware of the venom they have for all things UT. I can't even bring myself to pull for Memphis when they aren't opposite of the Vols. The same goes for Ole Miss, and I have some really good booster friends/family that are alumnus from there.

mike#208050 writes:

in response to volnavy4life:

Fortunately Tom Bowen doesn't work for you so he doesn't have to fear for his job based on your opinion. Let me explain the problem from UT's view, Memphis is full of talent both football & basketball and Tennessee is having a really hard time getting access. Now from Memphis's viewpoint, we don't come close to having the financial resources or the SEC membership to compete in football. UT is nothing to Memphis but a huge payday in football. In the Memphis area, UT is a basketball doesn't come close to Memphis basketball. You own us, that is laughable. Bring back Bruce & go right back on probation!

As for a link, get your Mommy to google the Commercial Appeal & you will find the article dated this past week! I think you are howling at the moon wanting to play Memphis in basketball & not football. Under the status quo, UT isn't doing well recruiting Memphis. Just look where all the best players are signing.

EarthBoundMisfit writes:

in response to bUTch_please:

'Memphis State' as you refer to them....has beaten 'Zo Ball' three straight times now.
Color us not impressed with 'Zo-Ball'

EarthBoundMisfit writes:

in response to volnavy4life:

Tony Harris was the last player that you got from Memphis that Memphis wanted.
At the time...no one knew it then....but Larry Finch's health was on the decline...and he was not recruiting as hard.
You think you people STOLE Jarnell Stokes from us??? ROFLMAO!!!
Jarnell Stokes attempted to transfer from Memphis Central to Southwind High school to play his senior season of basketball.
He had to file a appeal to do so...and he was DENIED.
Seeing as how he had enough credits to grautae early he did so.
HE WANTED to play for the Memphis Tigers....but we did not have a scholarship in the middle of our season...and UT did. THAT is why he plays for the Vols.
It is not because you out recruited us or anything.
If Memphis has a scholly...and wants a player from Memphis that UT also wants....cosider it a foregone conclusion that he will go to Memphis.

mike#208050 writes:

in response to Snapshot:

Pastner could care less about UT. That is not arrogance, that is a fact! Pastner just received a $1million per year raise, on a seven year deal making him one of the highest paid in the business and Hart still has no deal. Guess somebody reminded the Memphis AD how important it is to keep his hot Coach happy! With 6 recruits signed this year in the top 100, he ain't scared of UT either! Keep dreaming about that NCAA bid boys!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to mike#208050:

I think Pastner may be a good coach someday. Fortunately for Pastner he's at a recruiting ground that's tops in Tennessee. But as you will see Martin is making headway. I think most coaches with Pastner's talent would have done better to be honest. For UT to be considered for the tourney the past two years? Now that was good coaching. However with that said Martin's also learnings some things. I hope to see the games continue.

Who will be the best coach? I think right now it's Martin. No offense to the many wonderful Memphis fans and blue tigers.

BTW it's looking darn good in Mocs country too. Isn't basketball fun?

mocsandvolsfan writes:

It's just my opinion but I think you'd see some better recrutits out of Chattanooga and other places if the kids would make better grades in high school. Many just can't cut it to even get a scholly. It speaks well for the Memphis kids that make the grades.