Mark Wiedmer: Butch Jones energizing Vols' big fan base

Kyle Price, 12, of Rogersville is the first one in line to receive an autograph from UT head football coach Butch Jones prior to the Orange and White game at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, April 20, 2013. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

CHATTANOOGA — Orange and white "UT" earrings dangled from her lobes. An orange No. 16 Peyton Manning jersey covered her torso. Her pants were white. Her sandals were orange and white.

So just how big a Big Orange fan is Kimberli Leffew-Kirk?

"I'm 47 years old today and I chose to spend my birthday here," she said as she stood in line for autographs during Thurday's Big Orange Caravan stop at the Chattanooga Convention Center. "What does that tell you?"

The increased numbers from last year's Caravan seem to indicate that Leffew-Kirk is far from the only person in southeast Tennessee who's crazy about her Vols at the moment.

Continue reading at the Times Free Press

Orange_Beach writes:

I bet the love fest will be over sometime around Thanksgiving when the Vols have another 2-6 SEC record to boast about.

BleednUrnge81 writes:

in response to Orange_Beach:

Are you a vol fan? i'm a bit confused about it seeing as how no real fan would be this much of a whiner over tough times, which are clearly behind us. Get your head out of your arse and support your team. If you are a troll from another fanbase in disguise, GTFO. :P Have a nice day

tomatosoup writes:

in response to BleednUrnge81:

I couldn't have said it better myself! Yes, we have a brutal schedule this year and honestly....6 and 6 would make me one happy fan! Who knows, I think we've even got a chance to knock off someone like South Carolinia this year? As you said, the tough times are behind us and I see nothing but brighter skies ahead! Go Vols!!!

UTvols33 writes:

in response to BleednUrnge81:

He's a Bama fan. There are a lot of those that like to check up on the Vols for some reason. I think they are a little scared for the future. There is also a UK fan, a couple of Vandy fans, and a Florida fan that post on this UT website more than UT fans do. They are total losers. You must ignore them.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Butch Jones may or may not turn the fb team around, however, he's already gone way above expectations recruiting and selling UT to recruits/active players & fans. The man is on a crusade that rivals Spain's march to California in search of oro.

volfan2002 writes:

We have some positions that are worse that last year QB, WR, and TE and we may or may not have a winning season this year. I do know that winning seasons are coming Jones is getting it done and we need to support him regardless of what happens this season because some great ones are up next.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to UTvols33:

UTVols33,

Hey my friend..........you nailed it. Couldn't have been any more accurate than what you said.

There is also the other group........claiming to be Tennessee "alumni" or "fans" who moan and gripe 24/7. They pretty much show their rear ends here whining about just about everything.

We can't explain it as to why the first group you mentioned hang out here so much. Insecurity, childishness, envy,.......who knows?
Not important. We just know who they are.......as you said, losers.

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

UTVols33,

Not important. We just know who they are.......as you said, losers.

you are both correct ....they either spend their time on our web site or sit and stare at their Nancy Pelosi swim suit calendar.......GO COACH JONES AND GO VOLS !!!

allvol32 writes:

There are a few trolls on this site and they post 24x7x365 - kind of shows how pitiful their lives must be. They are the Harvey Updikes of the internet world.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to allvol32:

It also shows how desperate they are to keep tabs on UT, apparently this Jones hire has them worried. Heck, they were fretting the Dooley hire until Wilcox bolted. Plus, they are socially inept and quite possibly plants by GVX.

orangecountyvols writes:

KnoxVegas and Beare,

Great comments friends. My response about the idiots is defined over on the column about Dave Hart. Check it out if you have time, and

have a great day.

Go Vols and Lady Vols !

volfan7 writes:

I know a football fan from Cincinnati who followed his team there. This person said Butch Jones was a great coach and was a proven winner. I plan to watch all the games this year, next year, and the next, until the end comes.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

KnoxVegas and Beare,

have a great day.

Go Vols and Lady Vols !

I did, OCV..Very good post and completely accurate as usual..GBO!!

usafvol writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

Hard not to be annoyed by these pathetic little girly boy trolls on here. I think they're slimy titty babies who's only purpose in life is to yap (kinda like a little yapping dog) just to get a little attention since they can't get any in real life. They should remember however that yapping little dogs eventually get the $hit slapped out of them! lol

Vol69 writes:

Yeah! Some our fans are as retarded as george bush.

grandtad#1402265 writes:

I was a Kiffin fan. Why? Because Lane Kiffin was a new Head Coach of the U.T. Vols! My team! He bolted to USC and they hired Derek Dooley. I was a Dooley fan! Why? He was the Head Coach of the U.T. Vols! My team! Yes, I agreed when they fired him. I am a Butch Jones fan! Why? He is the new Head Coach of the U.T. Vols! My team! I really feel hope and excitement for my team this year and I have great expectations from Coach Jones. I am a Tennessee fan and I love my team. Let's build the program back, brick by brick! GO Big Orange!

lstbodeanvol writes: