Butch Jones stays on go in rebuilding Vols

Tennessee head football coach Butch Jones.

Tennessee head football coach Butch Jones.

Butch Jones says his job is nonstop.

Even during the slowest time on the college football calendar, when there's a break between spring and summer classes and some brief down time for players after spring practice and before the summer workout program, Tennessee's first-year coach is constantly on the go.

Yet even amid his travels to various speaking arrangements, fan and alumni events and booster receptions, and his long hours in the offices in Knoxville, Jones takes time to review the work he's done running the Volunteers' program.

"I evaluate myself hour by hour, minute by minute," the coach said before Thursday night's Big Orange Caravan stop at the Chattanooga Convention Center. "Every night when I kind of slow down a little bit, I always replay the day over in my mind. What would you have done differently? How could you have done it better?

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

apostolicman writes:

I think we have the makings of a great coach!!!!

voloffaith writes:

At this point in his brief tenure can't fault effort. Yes we all know the program is judged by the on the field results. That being said, also a builder understands about having a solid foundation so his work will not suffer due to shortcuts taken to get the product out there quickly. In today's society of quick fix,fast food mentality most fan bases want the quick fix and forget that foundation stuff. Somewhat the mentality of a former coach here now on the west coast. "The wise man built his house on the rock." Not on the sinking sand. Are we as fans in it for the long haul or short term gratification that will most likely have a repeating cycle of disappointment due to shoddy base/foundation? I'll take steady growth that points toward future quality versus the give me now or I go home mentality.

wigmeister writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Excellent post.

Original_Witch_Doctor writes:

Witch Doctor says this man has the makings of a great tribe leader. Beat the drums... we going to war starting this fall.

allvol8 writes:

in response to voloffaith:

A+

gc_scvol writes:

Really , Vicki?

ancientvolfan2 writes:

I'm a long time fan, but no real qualifications to judge a football program. I wouldn't be surprised if we struggle to win 6 games this year.
However, if that occurs I feel Jones should be allowed at least another two years to make his mark.
I hope I'm wrong, but I believe it will take time to rebuild.

SavTnVol writes:

Am really liking CBJ more everyday. Like his outlook and drive. Am hoping for the best outcome even if there has to be a bad start. I don't know if it's just me, but he sure does give me the impression that he truly wants to be here. Didn't get that from the prior two..I just hope he doesn't start wearing those gawd awful orange pants

OrangePride writes:

This coach continues to impress. I just luv the pride and passion he has for Tennessee. That first spring after our last coach arrived seemed like a news blackout. Nothing on recruiting. Nothing on team building. Nothing on summer workouts. And the more it went along, the worse it seemed to get. What a breath of fresh air it is to see so much fire in this coach and staff. How glad I am for all the news and information we are getting! I am really looking forward to Foooootballll Time in Tennessee!!

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

We have 1 of the toughest schedules in the country this season.

We also lack any proven QB's, WR's, TE's or a Defense that's proven they can stop anyone.

We're also short of solid SEC type depth.

If buTch can get 6 Wins and a Bowl game this season that's a win and proof of a small step in the right direction and a Bowl game Win is some extra motivation our fans should take with them.

I hate it but I still think it's going to take at least 4 years of good recruiting and good coaching to get our Vols back to the top level of SEC/National football.

Being patient is the hardest thing in the world for me but OVERexpecting is just as bad and hurts our recruiting when dumb people post really dumb things on message boards.

Take time to chill out and THINK before you post hurtful things on any message board if you're really a VFL my friends.

VFL...GBO!!!

OwensboroVol writes:

I cannot understate how impressed I have been by Butch Jones. I really believe this guy is the real deal and he is out there proving it on the recruiting trail. I understand that our Recruiting Class for 2014 has moved up to #3 in the Country. That should tell everyone something. This guy must really be selling the University of Tennessee. I know that its not a hard product to sell, but also the kids who are committing to come to Tennessee wouldn't be doing so unless they seen a winner in Butch Jones. I know that the proof is in the pudding, but so far I think We have us one great coach!

shorttail writes:

in response to voloffaith:

A++

Flyfisherman writes:

I don't see how anyone can NOT be impressed by Coach Butch and his assistants work ethic. I know proof's in the W's, but I feel confident with the way he is moving these will be coming. Keep it up, Coach!

Also, seems to me, that the best UT articles come from Chattanooga. Thanks Patrick Brown.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to TitanandVolfan4life:

We have 1 of the toughest schedules in the country this season.

We're also short of solid SEC type depth.

VFL...GBO!!!

Sounds about right to me..2014 plus 2 more really stellar classes will get us on the way..I think all our pass catchers will get it done but I have little confidence these 2 QB's are going to get the job done. I think the defense may surprise some people but only if the staff can miraculously fix the worst secondary in UT history..Losses across the entire 1st and 2nd team DLine may derail the 2nd year unless 2 very good Juco's are found

SevenT writes:

This Jones guy is not qualified to be Fulmer's water boy.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to SevenT:

This Jones guy is not qualified to be Fulmer's water boy.

I was tempted to respond to this idiot, but decided to not sink to that level.

RockVegas writes:

I see a young Coach Saban....GBO.

thevoice writes:

You know you've got the right guy when SevenT belittles him. Scared.

jfuston writes:

I also heard they had their highest GPA in 12 years. 46 players above 3.0. So, CBJ is affecting them off the field as well. A smarter player is a better player.

laraccoon writes:

i wont reprint your foolish comment but Fulmer aint coming back , no matter how many names you post under moron.

cincykid82 writes:

Only in America - CBJ is getting $18.2M over 6 years and almost everyone here is congratulating him for working hard.

tractoronthepole writes:

in response to voloffaith:

I suggest all true Vol Fans copy and paste this when trolls, disgruntled "Vol Fans" and the negative come on here and want to cry and talk of the days past. Our future starts now and I hope that Butch keeps the energy!

GerryOP writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Great post! Well said.

GerryOP writes:

In Butch we trust!

GerryOP writes:

Fear the Jones boy!

OrangePride writes:

in response to cincykid82:

So your point would be? Because a person earns a salary that puts him at about average in the SEC no one should take note of the great effort AND results he has gotten to date? Everyone who works for a living is paid a salary.....and in taking that salary, the company or owner EXPECTS a good effort and a reasonable return. That said, what we have seen from CBJ these last months has been well above just about everyone's expectations. So have the results been above expectation. And in a city where we have seen nothing but below expectation performance and another individual who did nothing but stop for coffee and humiliate us during his short stay, CBJ is a complete ray of sunshine. So excuse us for saying so, and you can pack up your negative attitude, your lack of enthusiasm, and your dumb comments and post them on the UK site. We'll take CBJ any day.

123forVOLS writes:

I'm liking what I'm seeing. I am a realist and know it will take time unlike many of the Negativites who float out from under rocks and from in basements. What he has accomplished so far against a lot of odds is commendable. As for his pay, GET A LIFE SNOOPY-Complainer! It's what college head football coaches make these days. If he falls on his face for say, three consecutive years, he goes elsewhere. But for now, no nega-commentary from anyone will tone down my excitement and hope for the improvement to be seen, I believe, beginning this fall.

OrangePride writes:

in response to 123forVOLS:

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

GO VOLS!!

pingkr62 writes:

A great work ethic, enthusiasm and determination are contagious. These qualities in our Head Coach and staff will show in the team next year. I agree we have a very tough schedule this year, but playing good teams will only make our VOLS better. Times will be tough, but have faith, It will pay off in time. G.B.O.!!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I have to say: I've got a man-crush on CBJ..What other coach/person could come into a down & out situation and totally resurrect a program with his charisma and non-stop working habits. The man is totally earning every nickel UT is paying him. I'm completely sold on Butch Jones as the perfect fit for our flagship university..GBJ!! & GBO!!

SevenT writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I'll take a double dose of that Big Orange koolaid.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Original_Witch_Doctor:

Bones never lie.

Witch Doctor say hard to believe a hack such as yourself...get a real pretend life other than mine?

ElizabethtonvolnNC writes:

in response to HaplessVol:

Hapless.....that suits you well.

Original_Witch_Doctor writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Witch Doctor have no idea where you coming from? Witch Doctor been Witch Doctor for years.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Original_Witch_Doctor:

Bones never lie.

Witch Doctor say sure you have(we can click your username and see.duh)..you are just another un creative poser thats quickly running out of steam as your weak postings are now showing..
yawn

Original_Witch_Doctor writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

yawn
Bones never lie.

Witch Doctor says "whatever". Witch Doctor been Witch Doctor on other sites for years. Just new here. And what up with plural "doctors"? Witch Doctor is singular. Stands on his own.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Original_Witch_Doctor:

Bones never lie.

Witch Doctor say post links of these sites.....post some of your work.
((jeopardy theme playing in the background))
see, you aint me or never can be, just saying you are as you see...makes people sleepy.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Original_Witch_Doctor:

Bones never lie.

Ps. you does it feel? you know, NOT to be me! lol

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Original_Witch_Doctor:

Bones never lie.

Witch Doctor still waiting on ANY link that you made before me...Witch Doctor say powerful wizard named Google says you are the uncreative hack you are..BUT feel free to show Witch Doctor up..
we'll wait on your proof and I will make sure I call you out every single time. as I have told all the un creative hacks that have tried this before, you can me ANYTHING, but me..but as your post show, youve figured that out.
Bones never lie.

go ahead, post a link thats not me or mine.

rbwtn writes:

All of us die hard Vols know a good thing when we see it compared the last 5 years Butch Jones is right on. I think we got ourselves a good man how do I know? You can tell by His Orange Stripes. Feeling good about our Vols again!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

What's with the imposter coming in here? We know there is only one REAL Witch Doctor.

When someone copies another's screen name, that is merely a sign of real insecurity. Trying to get attention is one thing, but the insecurity/copy cat thing is lame. I assume the imposter who just joined is the lame one.