John Adams: Butch Jones has caravan rolling and recruiting along

John Adams
Volunteer football coach Butch Jones signs a football for Mackenzie Henley of Kingsport during the UT Caravan at Kingsport's Farmers Market. Photo by Ned Jilton II/Kingsport Times News

Although you might not have noticed, Tennessee is in the midst of a successful season.

You might not have noticed because no one keeps score on a caravan. The Big Orange Caravan simply rolls along through the heartland of its fan base without a single number being logged on either side of the ledger.

Last stop: Monday in Kingsport. Next stop: Tuesday in Atlanta.

Obvious question: If no one keeps score on a caravan, how do I know it’s successful?

Obvious answer: Because Butch Jones is on it.

UT probably hasn’t had a football coach whose skills match up so well with the demands of this goodwill mission. That’s not just my opinion.

“I’ve been here for 11 football coaches,” said Gus Manning, a longtime Tennessee sports publicist and administrator. “Butch Jones is the best public-relations man of all of them.”

You got an inkling of that last December on the day Jones was introduced as Tennessee’s new football coach. And I experienced it firsthand, thanks to my dreadful sense of directions, which led me to a gathering of boosters as opposed to the room designated for media.

While some of the boosters were probably wondering about the security breach, two others greeted me with an unsolicited and glowing assessment of the new coach. Kool-Aid was the drink of the day.

It has been a suitable drink for the Big Orange caravan as well.

Jones makes you believe. This trait is as apparent in a one-on-one discussion with a dispassionate observer as it is with a throng of UT zealots.

He tells you he will build this program brick by brick as he builds believability one speech at a time.

“Team 117,” he calls it, a not-so-subtle hint to focus more on the big picture of a program that has been historically successful than one that has impugned its tradition through three consecutive seven-loss seasons.

His believability isn’t limited to fans. He also has made inroads with recruits.

May recruiting rankings might be only slightly less misleading than NFL preseason games. But Tennessee football has been down long enough that any positive recognition should be treasured.

UT’s 12 commitments for the Class of 2014 have it ranked anywhere from second to fifth nationally. That puts the Vols in the same neighborhood with Texas, Florida, LSU, Alabama, Florida State, and Notre Dame. That’s success by association.

You can’t win a game in May. You can gain momentum, though.

Tennessee’s forward progress is magnified by the previous direction of the program. It wasn’t at a standstill when Jones assumed command. It was in reverse.

You might believe all this momentum will come to an horrific halt in Eugene, Ore., in September when Tennessee plays the first of five opponents capable of being ranked in preseason top 10s.

No matter how convinced you are Jones will change that, you can’t expect him to change it in 2013. It will take more recruiting classes like the one he’s assembling this year. It will take more recruits who believe they can make a difference.

As well as Jones is selling the program, he isn’t overselling. “Brick by brick,” hardly implies overnight success.

Fans along the caravan should be as attune to that cautionary reminder as they are Jones’ enthusiasm. If so, they are thinking ahead to Teams 119 and 120.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

voloffaith writes:

Coach is building by one brick at a time as opposed some who want to thrown at the coach like in "Remmeber the Titans." Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will our former national program. I'm in for the long haul building it right with hopefully a firm fondation.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

Really proud of the work coach has done so far. He's brought so much enthusiasm to a program that desperately needed it. Hopefully this will turn into $$ from donors.

tovolny writes:

Did anybody read anything new here? Gus Manning's sense of direction paragraph was funny, but what about the rest of this John Adams' expounding. John loved marring Fulmer's ability as a coach. So, in my opinion, I believe that Fulmer's ability as a coach far exceeds Adams' sports writing abilities. John Adams will go down as the anti-UT writer. John Adams type articles will for now and forever be used to describe anti-UT bias of sportswriters to come. Fulmer, the guy John destroyed, is now in the College Football Hall of Fame.

The KNS young guys and Mike Strange are wonderful. They understand what Knoxville wants in sport publications. I don't think the KNS top brass understands that which the UT Sports Nation hungers or for what they are screaming.

You would think John might say that Jones will be judged on his ability to coach football and not for how well he does on the caravans. John's MO is to wait until our first SEC loss and smear the negativity all over Jones' positive recruiting ventures this spring.

I am very pleased with Butch Jones. But, I am here to back any coach that gets a check from UT. We have had good players with bad coaches, good coaches with bad players, and finally we have good players and above average to great coaching. One of these days Alice, one of these days.

fearthehound writes:

Where is sillythekid? We need some 'Truth Squat' here.

fearthehound writes:

in response to billythekid:

Great! So judging by this, your beef was with Dooley. Since he is, of course, gone, I guess we can expect your future posts to be positive and supportive of the program, right? I mean, you love the Vols, right? Your ready to give the new guy a shot--right Jeffy of a thousand screen names?

usafvol writes:

in response to 1Percenter:

Hey goofball; why don't you go be miserable some where else? Nothing wrong with being positive since that's all we've seen from coach Jones so far. Until there's a reason to be negative (like you) i'd rather be positive.

usafvol writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Revolving door huh? Kinda like the prison system in Fla for Gator players.

govolsn3 writes:

Heard all of this before and this time atleast for me the "proof is in the pudding". I am not going to get all hyped up for another potential let down. The recruiting better get a whole lot better than this last class to crack the top ten of the SEC much less the top ten in the nation. Good luck coach JONES. I sure hope you get more than 3 years to build this and earn your 18 million. Recruiting rankings this time a year isn't worth a penny and these kids now a days love the hype and playing with these offers. I am just not going to fall for anymore hype, just looking for some wins. GO VOLS

vut5686#1405392 writes:

"Kool-Aid was the drink of the day." Really? "....And suitable for the Big Orange Caravan, too."

It was peaceful and quiet for a couple of weeks while John regrouped...but, unfortunately, he is back.

There is nothing wrong with writing an article praising anything. There is nothing wrong with being a skeptic. Many consistently do both. Few consistently mix each style and reach the sportswriters hall of fame; even in Knoxville.

Think JA really didn't link "Jones" and "Kool-Aid" on purpose?

Again, a mixed message and very poor taste. Some remember the "other Jones" and tragically, the "real Kool-Aid."

SCVFL writes:

in response to govolsn3:

You are correct that the "proof is in the pudding", but the hype is still good for the program. As for recruiting, if VOLS fall flat this season, there may be some defection, but not every single recruit is that fickle.
CBJ is playing his trump cards(tradition, make a difference, start immediately, own the State, etc.)and if he has a winning season, recruiting should go crazy.
If CBJ can convince the VOL nation that he can turn things around, he can surely convince his current squad that they can win. And confidence/over-confidence goes along way in how teams perform on the field.
CBJ is IMHO the blue collar, get your hands dirty, type of coach that is needed to turn this all around. I hope he has a very successful 20 year career as the HC of the VOLS.
GO BIG RNG
GO VOLS...GO CBJ

TommyJack writes:

The right man for the job.

fearthehound writes:

in response to billythekid:

Hee hee, this too rich and I've got to get to work, so I'll let someone else take over from here. Jeffy is bringing championships to UT.

You should see someone about the megalomania...and if you thought I was calling you the "greatest", you may have even bigger problems than that.

StoneJackBaller writes:

I honestly can't believe that anyone...ANYONE...can be as incompetent and unqualified as Derek Dooley. Period.

Jones, in my opinion, will get it done the right way.

rbwtn writes:

A little flame is beginning to build in me about our TN Nation. I know it's doing the same in others too and it Feels Good!

PHAT_VOL writes:

in response to usafvol:

I agree nothing wrong with being positive. But, what I can't get out of my head is how Dooley beat Coach Butch like a drum. After what has gone on after the firing of Fulmer I, like a lot of others, prefer to take the wait and see approach.

So I agree with 1precent.

GO VOLS!!!

usafvol writes:

in response to PHAT_VOL:

So I agree with 1precent.

GO VOLS!!!

Dooley had much better players tha Jones. As for beating him like a drum, I was there and the game was close until the second half.
Nothing wrong with being a little apprehensive about our team; my point is that Coach Jones has been a very positive affect on the team so far so why not be positive?

tennlions writes:

I read this article and was shocked. I expected JA to be raining all over the good feelings that CBJ had fostered so far. I can't believe it..JA actually thinks Coach Jones has done a good job and is advocating patience when judging the on-field performance? Holy phooey...the end must be near.
Me? I am not going to look as much at the record this fall. I am going to see HOW they play. I believe it will take another strong class in 2015 to fully see where this program is going long term. GO VOLS!!

cheetah-vol writes:

in response to tennlions:

I agree with your position in waiting to see HOW they play vs. worrying about their record this year. Motivating the fans is great, but motivating the players to improve is paramount.

A glimpse of seeing the players are more motivated was during Spring practice when one of the defensive players appreciated being told what to do instead of just being yelled at. Nice sign that these guys are actually being coached.

I want to see them playing better in November than they will playing in September instead of witnessing the same thing week after week like last year.

jmaples54 writes:

in response to tovolny:

i don't think you know for what the UT Sports Nation hungers. judging from the comments here and in the past, i certainly don't think the majority of UT fans hate john adams or his articles. please don't assume you are speaking for anyone except yourself.

bUTch_please writes:

Should be a surprisingly good year. Team #117 will win at least one game if not two that most are writing off now. We have a lot of talented players now, no need to wait for years to see results. With an improved strength program, better game day coaching, disciplined receivers, QB's who check down to a running play and tailbacks who know which gap in a Senior-laden line they are expected to hit. Lots of folks, me included, were shell shocked by last years defense. This year the same players with improved scheme, better tackling technique, and more effective matching of player strength to position played should catapult them back into defensive effectiveness.

I agree with Hart that it isn't a year to forecast a run for the NC. But that doesn't mean worse than 3rd in the east either. A couple of obvious challenges will be very difficult to overcome; rebuilt secondary and untested QB's. But truly, that's about it. Solid OL, upperclassmen RB's, depth and plenty of Seniors and Juniors on the DL, a LB corps that will bring back memories of past UT dominance and Croom at wide-out. Who knows, a couple of Freshmen may hit the field and contribute in a position of need.

I'll take my chances and enjoy my VOLS all year long.

Go Team #117.

antonio14313 writes:

finally john adams writes an article that finishes well. hope it's not a fluke. ;) go vols!

t

The_Ghost_of_Neyland writes:

From a PR standpoint, Butch Jones is just what was needed. Says the right things, does the right things, understands the importance of football in the UT universe, etc, etc. But, I don't think we will know much of his "SEC coaching fit" until after a year or two.

That being said, he can't be any worse than Dooley the tool and Kiffin the mega-tool were. Hopefully, he will be what was needed back in 2008 when the trigger was pulled on Fulmer.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

His 14-18 record after 3 seasons will have him back at a lower tier program in a lower tier conference, where he belongs.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

It's all easy when you're riding around on a bus cracking wise with reporters and adoring fans. When he rolls into the Swamp in September, he'll quickly realize this aint Cincinnati, and Florida aint Rutgers. When Muschamp lowers the BOOM, he'll be spinning in circles trying to figure out what just happened to his rear end.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

in response to rbwtn:

They make medicine for that, try Tums.

Glad y'all are national champs of riding around in Caravans during the offseason, but that wont win SEC games.

CrankE writes:

". . . thanks to my dreadful sense of directions, which led me to a gathering of boosters as opposed to the room designated for media."

What's dreadful? You pride yourself on being a columnist who writes only opinion which is somehow more holy and sanctified than a mere journ-o-list who reports facts.

As far as I'm concerned, you got it right for once and didn't associate with the media. I presume there wasn't a room for troll-feeding-UT-hating-jerkweeds at this event. It would have been so lonely in there, huh? ("Troll-feeder, party of one...")

usafvol writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

Said the spokesperson for Massengill..

usafvol writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

When he rolls into the swamp (AKA cesspool) he'll see first hand what the trash can of the south looks like and how the flip flop wearing gator fans act. Win or lose i'm sure he'll be glad to get home and take a shower just like everyone else who goes to that grungy place. Be proud TP..

Big_Orange_Aide writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

You over that Louisville loss yet?

SevenT writes:

I haven't been this excited about UT since the summer before Lane Kiffin's first season.

GO VOLS

trl_x writes:

I remain cautiously optimistic.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to usafvol:

USAF,

Exactly, friend. Actually, I didn't read what the troll....Delta Dawn said. All we know is when you see the screen name Delta dawn, plus any # of other trolls, these clowns are worried. They are drawn to our site like fly paper.

Oh, and one more thing. We can wager this troll never wore a uniform to defend his country.
Thank you for your service this Memorial Day weekend.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

in response to Big_Orange_Aide:

You over that Louisville loss yet?

Yes. Are you over that 9th straight Florida loss yet? Or was it 10?

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

USAF,

Thank you for your service this Memorial Day weekend.

You've been claiming we're worried for about 9 years now.

You claimed we were REALLY worried about last year when I stoicly told everyone this game wouldn't be close, in Florida's favor. But all y'all could focus on was tearing the goal posts down...lol

tovolny writes:

in response to jmaples54:

Dig up the JA items and read the comments. A very high percentage of the posts see right through Adams and let him know how sorry he is. Come on, do it.

And, by the way, how is your opinion of my posts represent the Vol Nation? I suggest you give your replies a little thought, or better still, would be to do a little research. My next remark is a guess, but Seems like you might be related to ole John. I know him quite well, we even play golf together; however, we spar on this site at the drop of a hat. John is a good guy, he just doesn't like UT.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to billythekid:

Must be TROLL:30 here at Trollvolsxtra.

Let me straighten you (and adams) out with the FACTS, AGAIN!

First adams, he said... "But losing by an outrageous margin to a top-10 team is no longer a disaster of biblical proportions for the Vols. It has become the norm."

2012 final rankings -
florida#10 uf37-UT20 = 17 points
uga#7 uga51-UT44 = 7 points
bama#1 bama44-UT13 = 31 points
sc#8 sc38-UT35 = 3 points

ONE out of FOUR teams is NOT the "norm" there johnny boy. In 2011 we lost to #1 bama by 21 and #2 LSU by 29, and everybody else basically did too.

adams stretches the truth for sensationalism, you just LIE for the sake of being a Troll. As usual, adams changes his earlier claims that Dooley did stabilize the program as far as recruiting and arrests go, to "it's in reverse" for the sake of this piece. adams is infamous for just that. He DID state after Dooley's firing that Dooley DID provide a boost to the roster, and drop the number of arrests. His little "reverse" remark is his usual dig he has to get in, and I believe mostly for dolts like yourself, who are the nobodies that live to stir the pot.

You're a Troll, period. every real fan on here just laughs and rolls his eyes at your little "we" and "us" blabberings. No need to bring your other screen names into this to take up for yourself, everybody knows that little BS trick too, pony boy.

MetroplexMojo writes:

This quote provides insight into people that discuss Sal, Hart, and Dooley ad nausem.

in response to MetroplexMojo:

A favorite saying of mine as well! Points to ponder for most of us.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to PHAT_VOL:

So I agree with 1precent.

GO VOLS!!!

Uhhhh, La Monroe beat Saban in his first year at Bama..So, by your logic that means whatever the coaches' name was at La Monroe, he's a better coach than Saban?? Inane..

tvol71 writes:

I hope people keep their expectations in check this year. I am expecting a 6-6, maybe 7-5 season with a little luck this year, but it could easily be worse if this team doesn't pick up the new system quickly. We have to give him 3 or four years to get the system going.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to bUTch_please:

I'll take my chances and enjoy my VOLS all year long.

Go Team #117.

Totally agree..Nice post & GBO!!

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to 1Percenter:

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; and small minds discuss people." You say quotes like this were used years ago. Nowadays some people use the thesaurus to look up words like pierrots, picadors, Punchinello, misogyny to make themselves seem intelligent and important

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to PHAT_VOL:

So I agree with 1precent.

GO VOLS!!!

I still can't get that Wyoming game out of my head from 2008. Let's agree on a couple of things. Phil Fulmer's last season was a train wreck (and part of an overall downward trend). Kiffen's one-and-done elopement was a disaster. The three Dooley years were a meltdown. Translation: Tennessee was becoming irrelevant even before Fulmer was gone, and moreso with his followers. Sorry for the reality check. Here's hoping that Jones can reverse a lousy trend, which, you have to admit, dated back to the end of Fulmer's career. It's a shame that 1 percentile and his caravan of lowbrows can't fathom the simplest facts. Perhaps I needed to write all of this a little bit slower for them.

fearthehound writes:

in response to 1Percenter:

Yes, but if one gravitates toward the more mundane, or perhaps percolates toward the less arcane, still (if one is truly transparent (but naturally most are not) one will ask), is 1Percenter full of kr@pp?

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

And Florida ain't Louisville either. Bunch of thugs (Florida's) losing their composure and coach Will nearly peeing his pants in New Oreleans was a glorious thing to behold. I don't pull against the SEC in hardly any game or sport, but I was all Louisville and Charlie Strong in this one. Your reference to Rutgers instead of Louisville was priceless. Be careful with what Big East team you talk about. Some of them, like Louisville, can beat you.

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to SevenT:

GO VOLS

If the UT-KY football series holds to previous standards, the 'Cats should be expected to beat UT once again in, I think, around 2038.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to 1Percenter:

yeah I know, you are who I meant

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to 1Percenter:

murrayvol writes:

in response to 1Percenter:

"You tell me who has the issues"

Okay....you have several....most of which flow from an inflated sense of selfworth.

Have a nice day.

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to Big_Orange_Aide:

You over that Louisville loss yet?

and what about that bladder mesh surgery for Delta Jorts LOL