Bret Bielema counting on former UT assistant coaches to improve Arkansas

Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema watches his team warm up before of a spring NCAA college football game in Fayetteville, Ark., Saturday, April 20, 2013. Arkansas Red beat Arkansas White 34-27. (AP Photo/Gareth Patterson)

DESTIN, Fla. — Bret Bielema arrived at Arkansas from Wisconsin with a reputation for power football.

Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney arrived at Arkansas from Tennessee better known for passing than power.

But the offensive union doesn’t seem as odd when Arkansas’ first-year coach explains his offensive philosophy, which isn’t limited to bludgeoning an opponent into submission at the line of scrimmage.

“We had a lot of conversations about where I wanted to go (offensively),” Bielema said Tuesday at the SEC spring meetings. “I love the word ‘balance.’ We want to have balance running and throwing the football.

“I think (the players) thought we were going to be a grind-it-out running team. But they realized where we’re going together.”

While Bielema is counting on Chaney to provide balance from the passing side, he will rely on another former Tennessee assistant coach to produce the same physical running game Bielema implemented with great success at Wisconsin.

“Sam Pittman has had one of the biggest effects on our team with what he was able to bring to the table,” Bielema said of the offensive line coach under former UT coach Derek Dooley. “How we put a hat on a hat and move people off the line.

“He’s a tremendous recruiter and a great personality.”

Reshaping the offensive line in Wisconsin’s image isn’t solely a matter of coaching. It’s also about recruiting.

“We don’t have the same type of people right now, especially up front (as Wisconsin did),” Bielema said. “There hasn’t been a really huge emphasis on being big and strong up front. We’ll gradually grow that position.”

Chaney, who is a former offensive line coach, and Pittman will have a chance to expedite the growth process.

Bielema gained a respect for Chaney when Chaney was the offensive coordinator at Purdue. He became familiar with Pittman on the recruiting trail.

He liked them more after they enhanced their credentials at Tennessee.

“I loved the experience they had in the SEC already that would allow me as a rookie coach to have somebody to lean on,” Bielema said.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Voltman writes:

Still a little upset we didnt keep pittman. Coulda had 2 extra o linemen in school right now probably if he was still here

Ironcity writes:

Glad there all gone. Liked Pittman but I like the continuity this present staff brings to the table.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

They'll get you at least 5 wins..

laraccoon writes:

Pittman is a good coach , his up tempo suggestion last year vastly improved our offense from the previous year .That being said the number 1 draft pick in the NFL this year was an offensive lineman from Michigan recruited by Jones . i guess only time will tell but at the very least two teams have upgraded coaching IMO .

givehim6 writes:

He is counting on his coordinators to coach the team? Sounds like a coach we had.

vol1994 writes:

in response to Hacaf1965:

I rarely post on this site b/c of people like you. Is your life so bad that you have to make comments that make little to no sense? Seriously dude, I feel sorry for you. If you can add to a conversation then so be it. I have read your recent posts and can honestly say that you seem to be a miserble person. I hope things improve for you.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to Hacaf1965:

Toddy, you are good for some humor. You pity anyone that gets in your way. LOL

tovolny writes:

Hey, I have an idea. Wouldn't it be nice if we posters responded only to the subject or purpose of the article. I don't know about you, but I would rather not read these posters' little HIZZY-FITS.

volbike writes:

in response to tovolny:

That would be very nice but too much to expect.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to Hacaf1965:

Wait a minute, let me see if I got this right. You are questioning someone's character. LMAO...

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

As much as I detest Toddy Boy, you in all honesty cannot argue too much about what he said. Dooley was an utter failure who accepted no responsibility for his failure.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

May 29, 2013
9:11 a.m.
gc_scvol writes:
Written by shipperman on "November 24, 2012
3:09 p.m.
I agree the Dooley bashing needs to cease. The proper move was made, so leave the guy alone. He took a job any of us would have for the money.....At least I don't argue with myself.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to Hacaf1965:

I like to think so, yes. Also the sensible type. I also like to think of myself as someone who doesn't take the popular cause, however, making a statement and standing by it. You have a good day now.
...

antonio14313 writes:

in response to Hacaf1965:

what specifically can you, or anyone else in this fraudulently called "vol truth squad" do, other than post on here?? can you fire anyone? no. can you hire anyone?? no. you can talk. that's all you can do. sorry to break it to ya, but you're powerless. absolutely powerless. extremely powerless. have a nice day.

go vols.

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to Ironcity:

i agree. the coaching staff that we currently have has worked together for years. not pieced together, like most coaching staffs. i like too! UT's staff has the opportunity for success written all over it. where is september??? august 31st, actually. go vols!

t

GerryOP writes:

Good luck to Chaney and Pittman. They were good Vol coaches but now we have a team of coaches used to working together. The Vols will do well, good luck to the Hawgs!

FanNotSheep writes:

New coach gets to bring his guys. Only fair since he will be fired in two or three years if he doesn't have it turned around.

UT's offense was not the problem. Under Chaney, Tyler Bray, along with Hunter, Rodgers, Rivera and Patterson provided explosive entertainment, even as the Tennessee Titanic was sinking.