John Adams: Butch Jones didn't need a meeting to figure out the SEC

John Adams

(Patrick Smith/Chattanooga Times Free Press)

University of Tennessee football coach Butch Jones, left, signs an autograph for Paul Finkleman during the Big Orange Caravan stop at the Chattanooga Convention Center on Thursday. (Patrick Smith/Chattanooga Times Free Press)

DESTIN, Fla. — Butch Jones attended his first SEC meeting Tuesday afternoon. But the Tennessee football coach didn’t sound like an SEC rookie.

He sounded like all the veteran coaches who have been around the conference block multiple times and know the advantages and challenges that entails.

“The SEC is different in all facets,” Jones said in the corridor of a resort hotel where the conference conducts its spring meetings. “That’s what makes it the best conference in the country.”

SEC commissioner Mike Slive couldn’t have put it better.

Jones elaborated.

“Everything is at a higher level (in the SEC),” he said. “If a young man wants to compete against the best, why would he not want to play in the SEC?

“Every day, it’s fourth-and-1 for the national championship. It doesn’t matter if it’s recruiting, practice, a caravan. Everything is at an all-time level.”

Everything includes the fan base, some of which always seems within earshot at the Sandestin Hilton.

As Jones finished his media get-together, he met the Jason Darnell family from Maryville. They were in the area and couldn’t pass up the opportunity to meet Tennessee’s first-year coach.

And Jones seemed as excited about meeting them. As he posed for pictures with the Tennessee family, he no longer reminded you of an SEC veteran.

Most fans probably wouldn’t approach the average SEC coach at this venue. But Jones always looks so accessible, almost as if he’s waiting for fans to drop by.

He talked about giving autographs to UT fans in the middle of his breakfast earlier Tuesday. He seemed to enjoy the interruption.

After all, fan passion is one of the items on his sales list to recruits. The impromptu autograph session at breakfast was just another reminder why he found this job so appealing.

He’s getting a feel for the competition, too. He might not have coached a game in the SEC, but opposing fans recognize him.

“Roll Tide,” said one.

“War Eagle,” said another.

Think he got any of that from Big East fans when he was coaching Cincinnati?

“In the SEC, there’s no offseason,” said Jones, again sounding like a league vet.

Not all of Jones’ SEC education has come in a public forum. There also has been a late-night course in the basement of his home.

“I have video in my basement,” he said. “I might get home at 10 or 11 o’clock at night. I’ll watch a quarter of (an SEC opponent’s game).”

It doesn’t take that long for a coach to figure out that — for all the similarities between SEC programs — the talent level can be drastically different from top to bottom.

After three consecutive losing seasons, Tennessee is closer to the bottom.

One preseason publication ranks the Vols fifth in the SEC East and 10th in the conference. Others might not be that optimistic about the upcoming season.

Jones’ plight is exacerbated by the competition.

“Not only are you trying to turn a program around,” he said. “You’re trying to do it in the most competitive conference in the country.

“You have to pull your head up and grind it every day.”

But even as he grinds away, he’s not oblivious to the passionate support group behind him.

So he poses for pictures and signs autographs. And he does it with a smile.

John Adams is a senior columnist. He may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com. Follow him at http://twitter.com/johnadamskns

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

PureOrange writes:

Really nice to have a coach who is real, and who has more energy than anyone else.

He represents the school, players, and fans in an extraordinary way. His actions last week in supporting our Lady Vols in the Super Regional showed a man of great character, and a real team player who has bought into everything Orange.

Glad he is our coach!

laraccoon writes:

in response to PureOrange:

Glad he is our coach!

well put .

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Jones has been so successful promoting UT because he exudes confidence. Gene Simmons once said: Even when we were nobody in the music business, we were arriving in limo's first class. The fans always thought we were somebody even though we hadn't sold any records. That's kind of like CBJ's convincing recruits, where ever he is, that's the place to be..And right now that place is Tennessee..I'm sold.

givehim6 writes:

Nice article John. I haven't heard John speak this nice about a UT coach since... well never. He is either giving Butch the benefit of the dought or just has not found anything to complain about. by Oct-Nov he will find something.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to 1-Percenter:

UT fb to the fans/alumni/former players/historians know the Vols have a great tradition..However, recruits were 3 or 4 years old when UT won the first BCSCG and crystal ball. CBJ's has to sell them on himself first and then introduce them to the traditions/world class facilities etc.

laraccoon writes:

in response to 1-Percenter:

utvolfan1955 writes:

1-percent is gone again. He'll be back until KNS bans his ip address

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to utvolfan1955:

1-percent is gone again. He'll be back until KNS bans his ip address

Yep, apparently he angered one of the editors..Because as soon as they realize he's posting again, he gets zapped..Oh well, you must play nice in the sand box..lol

orangecountyvols writes:

utvolfan,

Interesting that you mentioned the ip address. That's the million dollar qx. It's how they manage to get back here again after the banning.

Seems if those in control of this site deem someone as a trouble maker and thus remove them.....yet, they are unable to discern just how to recognize who the recent departee was.

Hence, the mythical ip addrsss. Once outa' here, it should a final movement.

Back to Butch. The Vols may not win as many as we'd like, but something suggests they will be competitive with a surprise or two along the way.

That_One_Fellar writes:

in response to PureOrange:

Glad he is our coach!

lettme say something..... I read the first sentence of your comment and nothing else and I knew them I was going to +1 it... The rest of the comment was read fer pure please....

orangehippi writes:

I think we will be just fine,being optimistic,I would hope for a 8-4 season,but really could be as bad as 6-6,either will have a bowl victory,All i want to see is a team that is really coached,i don't want to be saying oh dooley oh brey,i want to be excited with the hope back in my HEART every game,just a small request CBJ,just want to see a well coached game on both sides of the ball.not one one year and the other the next,will sit down the cry babies,just don't want to be the butt of some other teams highlight reel,i want our own highlight reel,and with CBJ it will come in TIME.I wish for great things,and don't get angry when they don't come,they will.2013 practice with some wins,2014 lookout SEC!!!

OwensboroVol writes:

One thing, you never know when that young 11-12 year old kid with that family is going to grow up and maybe want to play football at Tennessee. Years ago I was in Beaty Chevy in Knoxville. There were some 10-13 year old kids ride up on their Bikes and start looking at some SS396's. I ask the Salesman waiting on me if he needed to run the kids off? He said, "Hell No, they will be back in 10-15 years with good jobs and needing a new car. I want them to ask for Me." With that He walked over to the kids and told them to just ask if they had any questions. Maybe in 10 years some of these kids will be back as 5 star High School football Players needing a School to Play at!

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to HaplessVol:

Looks like 1percent or Jeff may be using his other user name

gc_scvol writes:

in response to HaplessVol:

Evidentially the system hasn't been perfected yet. How can you let one person completely consume your entire life. Dooley gave it a shot and missed. Get over it. You surely must be a miserable being to let this rule your life.

Henley-Street-Bridge writes:

The good thing about Coach Jones, he hasn't lost a game yet at Tennessee, something Dooley couldn't claim.

linebam writes:

in response to orangehippi:

A sports writer here in Atlanta predicted that CBJ would have the worst record (4-8) of all the new HCs in the league this year. I seriously don't think it will be that bad, but I'll be rooting for 6-6 and a bowl. Most will think that is a cop-out and that I'm settling for mediocrity, but I'm here for the long haul and I believe this is what is needed as a first step (if I'm not mistaken, that's how Saban started at Alabama). Let's get back on that winning track and be the next multi-year national champions... it CAN be done!

gbojrj writes:

"Talk is cheep, let's play ball"...

SevenT writes:

Make no mistake about it this is going to be a HORRIBLE football team. Perhaps one of the worst Tennessee teams ever.

The backwoods anti-Fulmer UT sunshine pumpers will continue their delusional dribble on these boards until the season rolls around. Then UT fan will start throwing stones at Jones and the coaching search for Jones replacement will begin.

LOCK THAT UP

dragon18 writes:

in response to Hacaf1965:

Just a thought. Not all speech is protected by the first amendment. If it is inflammatory, if it is deemed overtly offensive or if it is outside of the bounds of written guidelines on a comment page. Not sure what the post said as it was taken down, but I'm sure it had something to do with how the message was delivered rather than the message itself. I'm sure whoever it was that wrote the post could have worded it in a way that met the guidelines stipulated by KNS. I know this to be the case as I have seen so many posts that are counter to the mainstream optimistic posts that don't get taken down that it is not reasonable to think posts are taken down due to the message.

Like I said... Just a thought.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

He doesn't know jack about the SEC. On 9-21, he'll begin to understand. By halftime on 9-21, he'll have asked himself 50 times; "what the heck have I gotten myself into?"

CroKev writes:

in response to Henley-Street-Bridge:

Uhh... Neyland couldn't claim that either...

CroKev writes:

in response to SevenT:

LOCK THAT UP

I guess you could be right. I hope CBJ doesn't go become the HC at Florida. Have you guys started a short list yet?

hikerdude writes:

One of the things I really like about Coach Jones is his apparent excitement at having the chance to coach the Vols. Makes me feel good about UT football for the first time in a long time.

rbwtn writes:

We are not judging but it sure is good to see a good old down home kind of guy that that doesn't put himself above his fans. I like him. We can't be to anxious we just have to let him build His team and I feel it's going to be a fun wait.

antonio14313 writes:

hate to be the one to break this to ya, john adams, but i'm pretty sure that UT will finish better than 5th in the SEC east, and 10th in the SEC overall. coach jones has a TON of momentum, and i don't see it slowing down anytime soon. (not a bad article, by the way)

go vols!!!

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to utvolfan1955:

1-percent is gone again. He'll be back until KNS bans his ip address

oh no!!! 0.1% brain usage is gone?? :) don't worry, it'll be back with some other username. hopefully one that we can continue to bash again. (i still like whoever came up with one placenta! too funny...) and it's idiocracy is cute. but, i should stop enabling such unwarranted negativity and stupidity...

t

antonio14313 writes:

in response to givehim6:

...or his boss made him do it. ;)

t

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

If Worley mans up and the secondary pulls it together I see 7 wins here and also some demoralizing losses..Best chance for success is a Top#5 monster class for 2014.This years team looks pretty solid with only the QB and skill players in question but next year; the year fans expect progress could go very badly..It is possible we could lose most of the front seven and a big part of the OLine//We all know SEC games are won and lost in the trenches and we will be shorthanded with little depth on both sides of the lines.It will take one heck of an effort to fix that problem with one recruiting class

antonio14313 writes:

in response to orangehippi:

i can't see us being any worse than 6-6. 8-4 sounds really good. 12-0, of course, would be ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!! but, lemme attempt to break it down...

austin peay - W
western kentucky - W
oregon - L
florida - L
south alabama - W
georgia - W
south carolina - L
alabama - L
missouri - W
auburn - W
vanderbilt - W
kentucky - W

looks like 8-4, i'm hoping...

go vols!

t

FanNotSheep writes:

Hey I hope you optimists are right on target and all, but I think it's best to rein in those expectations for 2013. New QB, new WRs, new TEs, unproven defense… why go on?

New attitude is welcome but won't win games in the SEC without more talent and experience combined with lots and lots of good coaching. Keep signing those 4 and 5-star guys -- who are coachable -- and in the coming years we should see success.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see us winning more than 2 SEC games, so 5 wins is the most I can come up with.

allvol8 writes:

in response to antonio14313:

austin peay - W
western kentucky - W
oregon - L
florida - L
south alabama - W
georgia - W
south carolina - L
alabama - L
missouri - W
auburn - W
vanderbilt - W
kentucky - W

looks like 8-4, i'm hoping...

go vols!

t

I like the way you think! It would be awesome if 12-0 could happen.but 8-4 more realistic..6-6 more probable. Would be nice if we could end the BCS as Champions the way we started ..anyhow I love my Vols! GBO!

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to HaplessVol:

If Coach Jones had came out and acted in the same manner, or carried himself in the same way as Dooley, then youre argument may carry some relevance. Yet Jones has done everything better than Dooley had at this point in his career. I do not apalogize for backing Dooley. He was our coach. Was I right? No I wasn't. But I'm sick and tired of you all demeaning the characters of other people within your OWN fan base because they, God forbid, actually wanted our head coach to be successful. We can argue all day long, but the fact of the matter is, not one single person on this site is responsible for hiring Dooley. So why are you so angry at us. As far as this team goes, they SEEM to be far more enthused and motivated than last year. I will say it again, get a twitter and follow our players. As of now, we are lacking skills players, but this summer we have a good group of skill players coming in that I believe will be able to contribute more and more as the season goes on. What I don't expect is an 8-4 season, but predicting 4-8 is just as ludacris. We are one of TWO programs who have NEVER lost more than 7 games in a single season. What about this paritcular team and coaching staff makes you think we'll start now? And please be specific. What games will we lose and for what reasons do you believe that will occur?

RockyMtnVol writes:

in response to PureOrange:

Glad he is our coach!

Amen!

antonio14313 writes:

in response to EastTnVols962:

i hope i'm wrong about my loss at florida prediction (cause i simply hate florida! in my clique, we say "f*** florida" all during florida week; it has a nice ring to it!), but i'm pretty confident that this team will steal a game somewhere in this schedule (hence, my prediction of a win over georgia in knoxville). i mean, if coach jones can almost steal a game, well, hang in there against tennessee for a half, with the cincinnatti bearcats, IN knoxville, against our Vols, with the lack of talent on that bearcats squad, what can he do with a more talented Vols squad? a Vols squad that is still currently more talented, even with the departure of a few NFL guys, than that bearcats team? we'll see...

go vols.

t

Snapshot writes:

in response to SevenT:

LOCK THAT UP

Hey seventeeth, you have been reading jeffy flowers posts too much. Is that where you got "sunshine pumpers" and "delusional"? We know you are not that creative on your own!

You better just worry about getting the mildcats competitive again, it that is even possible.

LOCK THAT UP....LOSER

EastTnVols962 writes:

A few opinions on why I believe a 6-6 year and a bowl game are achievable this season.

1. I believe we have a lot better defense than what we fielded last year. I never understood the Sunseri hire, or the switch to the 3-4 scheme. We did not have the speed or talent to make that happen, and the coaches and higher ups should have seen that. But, we still have A LOT of talent on defense in AJ Johnson, B-Moore, McUllers, and more. Switching back to the 4-3 scheme will allow our defense to play a more balanced approach, and I believe will create fewer gaps in the secondary.
2. The loss of Bray and our entie recieving core is very traumatic. But we still return likely the best offensive line in the country, and with that, I believe Neal and Hill will prove to be better than expected. The QB's looked rough in the O&W game, but I'm very anxious to see what Dobbs and Ferguson can bring to the table this summer. That along with North and Lee, as well as a number of other receivers who had minor injuries this spring should enable us to field a decent offense.
3. I love the move of Devrin Young to receiver. Since day 1, he has reminded me personally of Randall Cobb. If we can establish his pressence the way Green Bay did Cobb this past season, he could be a major threat.
4. One thing in looking back at Dooley's tenure I realize is how bad of a motivator he was. He was way in over his head and knew it, but instead of admitting that, he through his players and assistants under the bus. This became obvious when his teams quit on him every November. The word on Jones is still out, but Dooley never recruited the way Jones has so far, and the players can't seem to talk up Jones and this staff up enough. I believe Jones knows football 10 times more than Dooley did. He has a winning record everywhere he's been, granted that was not in the SEC. That IS one thing neither of our 2 prior coaches could claim, and they both came from lesser conferences than Jones.

So with that, I think a 6-6 year is a very realistic goal. I believe we take our OOC games, well AP, WKU, and South Bama, plus I believe we take UK and yes, Vandy this year. That's five games. Auburn is a very winnable game. Granted, their coach knows the SEC and that team, but they still had a worst season than we did last year. Something everybody seems to have forgot. I give it to us since we have it at Neyland. Other than that, I can't make any bold predictions. I think we SHOULD beat Mizzou, but that one's on the road. Either way, that's my prediction, and my reasons for it. GO VOLS!!!

Orange_Scooter writes:

in response to Hacaf1965:

Comments are the sole responsibility of the person posting them. You agree not to post comments that are off topic, defamatory, obscene, abusive, threatening or an invasion of privacy. Violators may be banned.

- Just saying

south carolina - L
alabama - L
missouri - W
auburn - W
vanderbilt - W
kentucky - W

looks like 8-4, i'm hoping...

go vols!

t

That Oregon/UF combo will be a split. I know for which one I'm hoping.

With you on the 8-4 and no less than 3rd in the East.

Go Team #117!

JSmith525 writes:

I just LMAO at some of these stupid comments from the aka "stupid squad". Folks that live in the past and have no desire to change tend to have a miserable future. But that is the life that they want for themself. They also want others to live just as miserable as they are. Hey we have had a rough ride on the Hill for a few years now, maybe Coach Jones can make it a smoother ride, maybe not. I have no clue as to what the future for the UT football holds and neither do the "Stupid Squad" I can only hope for sunny days ahead. And while I hope, I will support the team and the coaching staff that are in place. If a future change is required, then I will support that staff as well. Now the "stupid squad" may think that I am not a true Vol Fan, because I support the coaching staff and the team. But ya know that's why they call themself the "Stupid Squad". Go Vols & Go Coach Jones and Staff. You guys are doing a A+ job IMO. Good things will come to those that work hard.

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to HaplessVol:

Can you read in fluid sentences? At what point did I ask to describe why Dooley sucked? Please point that out to me in my statement. I claimed I was wrong about Dooley, and yes it made me feel like a major chump. I don't need you to rub salt in my wounds. Simply being supportive of a team and whatever coach does not make me any less of a fan. Where is it written in Vols code that being optimistic with whatever is dumped on you is forbidden? Now back to my ACTUAL question. why do you believe THIS YEAR, let me clarify, 2013, the year we are in now, is going to go 4-8? What about JONES, he's the guy who is our coach now, something you fail to realize, makes you think we will do worse than Dooley, who you clearly hate? What about this year? THIS ONE. What about Jones do you not like? Why do you not believe he can get the job done? And I swear if you bring Hart's name up I'll lose it. Hart is not the coach. I want specifics about Jones, his staff, and his team that you think will field the worst team in UT history.

PennVol writes:

I'm not expecting much this year as far as wins, but if these guys are good coaches, we should see good adjustments within the game and from game to game. I do expect a much better team at the end of the year compared to the beginning. If we can see the progress, the 5-star recruits will want to be part of the Vols return to the elite.

MetroplexMojo writes:

I love the optimism from some of the people on here. I hope some of the projections come true. However, Jones inherited a mess and a very difficult schedule with 5 teams potentially in the Top 10. He inherited a historically bad defense, no QB/WR experience, players with 3 years of Dooley "coaching", and a shaky kicking game. Let's keep the big picture in mind if the team struggles at times this year and not try to run him out of town. The combined first year record of Saban at Bama, Petrino at Arkansas, and Spurrier at SC was 19-19 and none inherited the mess that Jones did. If the team improves as the season progresses, eliminates the boneheaded mistakes that have plauged us the past three years, and continues the recruiting momentum, the wins will come.

allvol8 writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

Great post!GBO!

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

++++1

dragon18 writes:

in response to x1PERCENTERx:

Are you a bit slow? I'm not policing your comment and really could care less about what you have to say. I even made the point to say I didn't know what was in the post as I joined the board after it was taken down. I have seen your rants before and I agree with you that as long as it fits within the constructs set by the comment site you can convey any message you see fit. My only point is that not all speech is protected by the first amendment. And instead of acting belligerent about it, you might do a little research so that you will see I am correct. Say anything you want on here, people get to choose whether they agree or disagree, but KNS gets to set that line that you're not allowed to cross when it comes to how you deliver that message.

laraccoon writes:

in response to EastTnVols962:

people like that dude have no friends in life thats why he on here day and night . none of us thought Dooley was much of a coach but were fans , what other choice did we have . That dude is the kind of dip to throw stones at Jones while he hasnt even coached a game yet is recruiting great. "I told you so" is the motto of a lonely fool, and that moron proves it !

SevenT writes:

in response to Snapshot:

LOCK THAT UP....LOSER

Hey Snapsnot:

Thanks for your reply, it is always nice to hear from a fellow troll

I am surprised you did not accuse me of being one in the same flowerchildren with one of the multiple screen names? You Doolaidists seem to be focused on that theory.

Toodles

tennlions writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

Awesome post!
I'm in the 6-6 group. I can't see the Vols realistically winning more than 6 games. They are weakest at the skill positions and that will hurt. The young players might be experienced enough by the time they go to Mizzou to win that game but the chances are good that they will drop an early winnable game to balance it out. I think 6 wins would be a good year when you take into account the mess that was left behind.

As for the CBJ discussion, I will say this. Up to this point I like what he has done as far as recruiting goes. I agree that Dooley was in way over his head. I hoped he would do well but I always felt that he was more attorney than football coach. He was obviously a scramble hire and we all saw that he was in too deep. We really only have two things to judge CBJ on..his track record and his recruiting ability. Both look favorable but time will tell.

antonio14313 writes:

in response to EastTnVols962:

i wouldn't worry about haplessvol. haplessvol is not a tennessee volunteers fan. haplessvol is, well, just that: hapless; also know as unfortunate. and a waste of time. his opinions (along with all his other usernames' opinions) doesn't matter. of course, that's just my opinion. but, if he were to ever state facts, and that's a big if, then, well, facts are facts. ;)

t

tennlions writes:

Hapless..I have a question? If previous Dooley supporters look back and acknowledge they were wrong about their assessment of him, doesn't that reflect their recognition of the truth?