Tennessee at Oregon to kickoff at 3:30 p.m.

Oregon players celebrate at mid field after the Fiesta Bowl NCAA college football game, Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013, in Glendale, Ariz. Oregon won 35-17.(AP Photo/Matt York)

Those back east won’t have to wait till the wee hours to see Butch Jones make his national television debut as Tennessee head coach in 2013.

ESPN announced Wednesday that the Vols’ third game of the season — a major test at Oregon — will kickoff at 3:30 p.m. Eastern. The game will air on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2 and mark UT’s first trip to Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Ore.

The Vols open the season with home dates against Austin Peay and Western Kentucky. No times have been announced.

Oregon will face Nichols State and travel to Virginia before hosting Tennessee. The Ducks finished 12-1 last season, beating Kansas State 35-17 in the Fiesta Bowl.

The only previous meeting between UT and Oregon ended with the Ducks claiming a 48-13 victory at Neyland Stadium on Sept. 11, 2010.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

BrassMonkey writes:

First. So glad we are going to play this game instead of backing out. What Hamilton did in the past to ensure Dooley would make a bowl was a disgrace. Add to that the fact that it did not help.

bUTch_please writes:

Will be a good game. 300+ snaps between the 2 teams so...hang onto your hat.

Go Team 117!

antonio14313 writes:

here's to stealing a W! go vols.

t

MikeInTN writes:

Playing The Ducks one week, and The Gators the next...both on the road. OUCH!!!!!

ut18vols writes:

Oregon beat UT on Sept 11th in 2010.

Vol4EVA writes:

Go Vols! Beat Oregon!

I'll hang up and listen to your comments....

bbmon13#478091 writes:

Realistically, Oregon is a much better football team at this point than Tennessee - but it'll be interesting to see how the Vols respond to the adversity of playing such a talented team on the road - in a great environment - because under Dooley, the team was known for its colossal collapses....this will tell us something about coach Jones and his staff as well - it will not be a disgrace to lose this game so long as we are not disgraced in the process. Obviously, sure, you intend to win - but Tennessee is at least two full recruiting classes away from where it needs to be.

By Jones third season, we should be competing for the east - wish it would happen sooner, but with the offensive and defensive lines basically graduating....it would take a lot to make that jump by 2014.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Duck, duck, duck...

kevin151 writes:

in response to bUTch_please:

Will be a good game. 300+ snaps between the 2 teams so...hang onto your hat.

Go Team 117!

You really think the Vols will be able to move the ball? I have to see it to believe it...

antonio14313 writes:

in response to bbmon13#478091:

i doubt the score will be 48-13 again. i don't think that coach jones would allow our vols to not go out without a fight, until the clock reads 00:00. unlike coach dooley. go vols!

t

dvhill100 writes:

Really fast bathroom breaks.

bUTch_please writes:

in response to kevin151:

Yes. As a matter of fact I do. We will walk out there with 4 Senior and 1 first-round Junior offensive linemen from the SEC. With a QB who understands that handing off the ball in the 1st quarter opens holes in the 4th quarter. Plus, this will be Crooms' break out party. Will we win? Looking at last years' team, no. Looking at this years...the ducks will know we're in the stadium.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to bUTch_please:

I absolutely agree. The play of our defense will be the key. I know it will be hard to stop Oregon's fast offense, but if our offense can play ball control and keep Oregon's offense off the field, I think we can at least keep the game close. Will U.T. win? I doubt it. But if we can play a respectable game, I will be thrilled. G.B.O.!!!

brod writes:

not looking forward to this one. hope they make a good showing.

tovolny writes:

That Oregon game was a mess back in 2010. The lightning after the Vols were looking pretty good. Then Tennessee's heart was not in it. Several of our players decided to take the rest of the night off. We were out-played, out-coached, and even out-fanned. The feeling after that game was just a terrible sickness. Tennessee football was not what it used to be. I can remember being disappointed after defeats back when we were ending the single wing era, but our players fought to the end. I know football is just a game, but I don't see the character and commitment to winning we had back in the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's. College football is just a me, me, me affair and a stepping pad to the NFL.

May my Tennessee memories rest in peace...amen.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to bUTch_please:

Butch,

Well said. And, the Quacks are breaking in a new coach. Yes, the thing is feeding off the taste of a couple of wins ( granted, not against the likes of Oregon ) however, at least a lot of people will have seen acton and the added depth/experience can't hurt.

If the Vols can hang in there in this real test on the road, there won't be many places that they will see as much of a daunting challenge the rest of the way.

Vol fans will really have to try to develop a bit of patience and realism. It should be an exciting season, at least it seems to be shaping up that way.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

I wonder who will be the toughest opponent of the first three? Western, Peay, or the Ducks?

CoverOrange writes:

in response to pingkr62:

Right now I expect UT to have 10-15 play drives while Oregon has 2-5 play drives just because we lack defensive speed. Ball control doesn't matter unless you stop them scoring once or twice because they always get the ball after you do (unless Butch can onsides kick successfully and repeatedly).

pingkr62 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

I'll be the first to admit much of my prior post could be wishful thinking. I can't say I know much about Oregon's defense. But I do know something about time management. All I can hope for is that U.T. can keep the score respectable, and play hard for four quarters.

givehim6 writes:

One thing to remember is Jones is UT's new coach, but Kelly is no longer with the Duck's also. Oregon will be expecting a vanilla UT due our last meeting and UT weak past 3 years record. So we could play then a close game.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

I tend to disagree with the length of drives only because Stanford (a very well coached squad) was out-classed as far as speed was concerned. They were never too far out of position and slowed UO to a crawl offensively. I believe UT will play much tougher defense this year, the offense is the work in progress this time around..GBO!!

DonK37920 writes:

This game and our whole season will revolve around how quickly we can forget everything we learned about playing the 3-4 defense last year.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Duck, duck, duck...

Aflac...

murrayvol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

BB, if we play defense this year(and I believe we will), it will be a vast improvement. GBO

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to murrayvol:

I've got to agree with that..

4114 writes:

The rubber will definitely hit the road here. Hopefully they are a "rubber" duck we meet

underthehill writes:

Western Ky and Petrino are a much bigger concern for me than Oregon..don't have to have the Oregon game..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to underthehill:

When you are coming off of two consecutive 5 win seasons, every game is a concern.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to underthehill:

CoverOrange writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

A good point except that Stanford has been under the system for several years (changed HC but still same system). If this were Jones second year, yeah some credit, but right now we can't be sure we got Harbaugh like prowess much less team experience to throw at the Ducks.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to pingkr62:

Makes it tolerable to watch through the fourth even if they do lose, not that I would turn it off before the end.

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to underthehill:

Good point! Look...we are not going to beat Oregon unless they have six turnovers! We need those first two wins on the schedule. Regardless of his flaws, Petrino is a good coach!

iowavol writes:

Got my flights and hotel booked for the game. Still need to find a B&B or other accommodation for Willamette wine country. Go Vols - roast the duck.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to iowavol:

You could do some Squatch hunting around Mount Hood.

VolFanHoping writes:

in response to iowavol:

Stay in McMinnville. Great little town and good places to eat.

poppatock writes:

The ducks will be in VA the week before, they will get back late Saturday or sometime Sunday, then have an early game (for them) against us on Saturday. Might be an advantage for us.
GBO!!!!

orange_eVOLution writes:

The Ducks are going down.

MikeNPS writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

I totally agree. I would rather suffer the loss rather than chicken out of the game.

MikeNPS writes:

in response to DonK37920:

And our Defensive Coordinator left with a severance package. Unbelievable.

VolGrad writes:

in response to orange_eVOLution:

The Ducks are going down.

Let the SCHMACK begin, eh?!

Go Vols!

LiveFaith writes:

I like the start time of this game. The earlier the better. This is 12:30 for UO with pretty much a lost day after their East Coast trip. Never easy going 3 time zones out, but I think CBJ should try to get em' over there late and stay on Eastern time. Playing so early gives us a better shot at UO being flat IMO. Not that were good enough to beat them when flat, but I'll take every advantage.

1. Early kickoff for UO, late afternoon for UT. College kids & early performance = oxymoron.
2. Their new coach following a "superstar". If he's as good lightening strikes twice. Not likely.
3. UT will not have shown it's cards in first two (Lord, I hope not :-\) and UO should at UVA. CBJ should have plenty of suprises and more valuable tape.

Not saying we're favored, but I like some of the factors for a "duck trap" here.

Glad we're playing the game too, rather than following that Hambone Experiment.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

Austin Peay? Shameless.. Maybe trying to get even for the baseball and basketball losses to Peay in the same year. They were a non scholarship team for the last few years.

tennlions writes:

in response to antonio14313:

here's to stealing a W! go vols.

t

I would love for that to happen. I just don't see it. UT has that great O-line with no proven skill players to do anything behind it. I think it'll be 37-17. Too much Oregon talent and too much UT inexperience at the skill positions. These are the kind of lumps a program takes when the previous regime has left the cupboard bare.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Our offensive line will be the best unit on the team this year. Our defensive line will be the second best unto. When thats the case, you ALWAYS have a chance.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Unit, not unto...LOL

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to underthehill:

Many will laugh at your post. But I've felt this was a trap game from the jump. WKU had a good team last year for their standards IIRC. Didn't their coach get hired by someone? Point being, they have a decent team for their standards. Patrino basically begged for this job, so he wants this game. He also hired an excellent defensive coordinator in Nick Holt. One who Dooley should have strongly considered when he hired Sal's fat a**. Point being, Patrino has made a living winning big with inferior talent. He's never had a DC like Holt.

Will they beat us? I doubt it. But a tough game late in the 3rd into the 4th isn't what we need prior to Oregon week. Which is what could happen if we overlook them for Oregon.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Vanderbilt plays Austin Peay Sept 7. Is that shameless

dakota10902 writes:

What scares me the most is Neal. Why can he not break a tackle? The first defender to him ALWAYS gets him. If he has open space he's fine but as soon as someone gets close to him, down he goes. I cannot stand our running game. Maybe we will start a freshman, I bet we will before the season is over.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to dakota10902:

And I bet when that freshman underachieves you'll call for his head too. I mean really? What is it with Tennessee fans? Rajion Neal was leading the SEC in rushing when he got hurt. He was on pace for 1,000 yds and was having a great game at Miss St. When he got hurt. His best games were against the best competition. Marlon Lane's best games were against Candybilt and UK. Lane was mediocre at best against good comp when we desperately need him. So why it's become the "popular thing" to bash Neal by some of our fans, the FACTS actually go against what you all say. Neal isn't a power back, he's a speed back. The problem isn't Neal. The problem is that we haven't recruited a power back to offset Neal. That's what the good teams do. Lane has had every opportunity to unseat Neal, yet he's vastly underperformed, and has not been able to keep his nose clean. Lane is also a great change of pace back for Neal.

So IMO (which I actually believe to be fact), it's Tennessee that has failed Neal by not having a change of pace back. And our fans have failed him by smashing on him while he's proven to be a legit SEC back. Again, prior to injury, HE WAS LEADING THE LEAGUE IN RUSHING. What in the hell do Tennessee fans want?

Oh yeah, let's not forget. Your wonderboy Dooley also robbed him 1 year of his eligibility at RB by moving him to WR. This isn't HS where you play your best player wherever you want. this kid was a RB at birth, recruited to RB in college. Gets to Tennessee and spends his freshman year WITHOUT A RB COACH, WTF?
Then spends his second year at WR. Then goes back to RB ONLY TO LEAD THE LEAGUE before injury. Where I'm from That's an AMAZING accomplishment. What if he had a freshman and sophomore year AT RB WITH A RB COACH? Where would he be now? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he would be showing out.

Good thing is, Alden Hill is a power back if I've ever seen one. He's the perfect back to offset Neal. Lane is over rated and has underachieved. And those who favor him are still using a 3 year old ACL injury as an EXCUSE for him vastly underachieving...enough already. I hope Hill gets the second RB position for good, Lane doesn't deserve it IMO. And with Hill as a power back, you wait and see what happens. Neal will get better.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to utvolfan1955:

Vanderbilt plays Austin Peay Sept 7. Is that shameless

Candybilt boasts a bowling National Championship. They DEMAND respect!