Josh Dobb's calls now will be with Tennessee Vols

KNOXVILLE — Josh Dobbs took more than a few footballs to his spring throwing sessions.

When Tennessee's incoming freshman quarterback went to the turf field at Alpharetta High School to work on his craft, the partial playbook sent to him by the Volunteers' coaches and his cell phone weren't far away.

Thus neither were Tennessee's coaches, specifically offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian.

"I've been able to talk to them as much as needed," Dobbs told the Times Free Press last week. "Of course they're always a phone call away, and they're always willing to help. When I was out throwing at the field one day, I had a question about a progression, I picked up the phone and called Coach Jake and we talked a little bit.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

smokeylaw06 writes:

Good article on Dobbs. When I go to the Chattanooga paper's site, they have a number of good articles about Vols football. It seems the Chattanooga paper offers significantly more substantive information than KNS. Why is UT's hometown paper getting scooped by another paper? Bizarre. If anyone from KNS sports is reading this, you should look at some of the Chattanooga paper's articles. Step up your game, KNS.

tomatosoup writes:

This is it baby…with it now almost being June, football time in Tennessee is getting closer by the day!!!! I am so excited about this upcoming season I could scream, spit, or both! Yes, I think a 6 and 6 season coming up would be wonderful and a bowl win would top it off. In the 2014 season, I’m expecting even bigger and better things. The way I see it, Coach Jones has come in with a roar and is kicking butt and taking names regarding recruiting. If we do go to a bowl game this year, imagine how the following recruiting class would take shape. Prospects would see that Coach Jones has turned the UT football ship around, players would be buying into the program, and better yet….who wouldn’t want to be a part of the Big Orange Nation with everyone seeing us make a rise yet again to the top!!!! Gooooo Vooooools!!!

chipmurphy461 writes:

Good stuff

kyvol98 writes:

My take on this article is 1) Dobbs is a very intelligent kid. 2) Dobbs WANTS TO BE A LEADER.

Those are 2 intangibles it takes to be a very good / great quarterback.

Nighthawk writes:

Quarterback will be a team strength for several years to come if all our QB's stay.

cheetah-vol writes:

in response to kyvol98:

Those are 2 intangibles it takes to be a very good / great quarterback.

I definitely agree. He could be a diamond in the rough so to speak. Regardless, it's great to read how he's staying in communication with our QB coach and working hard in the off-season. Glad he's a VOL!

SewaneeVolFan writes:

Extremely impressive young man. Sounds like he'll be ready to compete sooner rather than later. Just because of the shark tank that is the SEC, I always hope that we get the luxury to develop players, especially quarterbacks. It's a measure of the maturity Peyton Manning had even as a freshman, that he was sorry Heath Shuler went pro the year Manning started at UT because Manning wanted a redshirt year behind him to learn.

Ideally to me, Worley, as the most experienced QB would win the starting position, excel to the degree that he can go pro, and then UT develop a tradition of quarterbacks not starting until they're juniors. Seems to me Fla State got a rotation going like that for years, and it worked out pretty well for them.

However, if Dobbs is as good as he sounds, he could blow that whole thing up, take the starting position against APSU, and not let go until he decides to leave.

Whether he's echoing the party line or not, I always enjoy hearing that the coaches have told him that they aren't promising him anything and that he has to earn whatever position he gets. Especially if that's true, that's the wisest course in recruiting, it seems to me; doesn't mislead the player, and covers the coaches if some five-star high school player doesn't live up to his press clippings when he arrives on campus. Majors and Fulmer used to use the line, "if you stay, you'll play," which is good for development, but not so good if you think seniors are playing because of seniority rather than talent. But if you say you'll get the position when you earn it, then you foster competition and players perceive the fairness.

MilitaryBrat writes:

in response to smokeylaw06:

The amazing thing is the Patrick Brown used to work at KNS. I wonder if he was asked to leave, because he was doing too good of a job. And he was stepping on the toes of John Adams.
I agree with you that it is sad that a Chattanooga paper has better info than the hometown paper.

hikerdude writes:

Based on very little evidence, I think this kid is going to be a great qb for us.

StoneJackBaller writes:

If he's able to come in and comptete at a high level and is equal to Worley and Peterman, I think we should start him. Why not get him the experience? But, don't forget a guy named Riley Ferguson will be competing also. Could be a very interesting summer.

laraccoon writes:

in response to MilitaryBrat:

what you say we get the ball rolling ,competition is usually a good thing .

CoverOrange writes:

I think some of you need to take you TFP colored glasses off. Patrick Brown is a good writer but he doesn't produce a UT article every day (although he had one on Riley Ferguson yesterday). Wiedmer is the only other TFP sports writer that writes about UT and he is of the same ilk as John Adams or David Climer at the Tennessean. KNS has Adams, Mike Strange and Evan Woodberry. Woodberry had a good article on James Stone last week. Strange more often covers UTBB than UTFB. Woodberry seems to put most everything in his blog rather than articles that appear here, don't know why.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

COMPETE

orangehippi writes:

Google josh dobbs and see his film,it is very exciting,he's mobile accurate,would bet he gets a real good shot,go vols

sameolvolalum writes:

Watch this young man on U-Tube. Worley and Peterman have their work cut out to keep ahead of Mr. Dobbs. Let the good times roll!

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

i like having a guy with a quarterback arm and an engineering brain coming in to run the team. A quarterback that makes good decisions and plays smart will take us a lot farther than one with a cannon arm that becomes scatterbrained once the ball is snapped.

givehim6 writes:

Yes UT will be on the green side as far as there QB's, Worley has a few games under his belt but still wet behind the ear. But I do not see this as very bad, good in fact. Only worley has any Dooley plays but few at that. Worley (or Peterman) may be the starter , but I see Dobbs seeing playing time. I think UT's QB future looking bright for 3 or 4 years.

MilitaryBrat writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

I am not saying TFP is all that, but I like Patrick Brown. Not sold on Wiedmer.
I do like Evan Woodberry, and on BB - Brendan Quinn.
But both of them are relatively new at KNS, and both actually report both the good things and bad things about our Vols.
Instead of constantly put a negative spin on everything. Like Adams used to constantly remind us that we lost to Kentucky with a receiver as QB.
Strange is okay, but he also has a tendency to slant on the negative also.
Before Woodberry, KNS reported the good things going on Alabama and Florida more than the Vols.

bUTch_please writes:

Dobbs for Heisman!

Vote early and often. Go Team #117!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Dobbs reminds me (work out wise) of Peyton. I really like this young man, not that Ferguson isn't impressive as well..But, I'm pulling for Dobbs to be UT's QB ASAP..GBO!!

Vol1983 writes:

John Adams keeps KNS the worst anywhere. It's a shame he won't leave or KNS won't get rid of him. KNS will always have a poor sports section as long as KNS is mismanaged.

jakethevolguy writes:

I hope that they are all so darn good that the coaches have a hard time picking a starter! GBO!!!

antonio14313 writes:

in response to jakethevolguy:

hopefully all these quarterbacks become extremely good!!! and, hopefully no one transfers out, which could and would likely happen. go vols!

t

EastTnVols962 writes:

Via rivals.com UT now has the #1 recruiting class in the nation for 2014!!!! I said it's great, to be, a Tennessee VOL!!!!!!!!!

murrayvol writes:

in response to EastTnVols962:

That's great news but we're a long way from the first Wednesday in Feb. GBO

dirty_don writes:

just picked up a DE from Cleveland OH and now ranked no. 1 on rivals

murrayvol writes:

As someone said earlier this kid has some of the intangibles you're looking for in a qb. Let's hope he has a few tangibles as well.

EastTnVols962 writes:

in response to murrayvol:

That's great news but we're a long way from the first Wednesday in Feb. GBO

Agreed, but it still feels good, if only for a little while.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to MilitaryBrat:

I am not saying TFP is all that, but I like Patrick Brown. Not sold on Wiedmer.
I do like Evan Woodberry, and on BB - Brendan Quinn.
Strange is okay, but he also has a tendency to slant on the negative also.

The young guys, Evan, Patrick, Brendan, seem to do all the grunt work (like actually go to practices, interview people) while the older guys take the perks (like go to Destin every year) sit back and write what they thought about rolling out of bed that morning with little research or fact finding. My point is is that it is not a KNS vs TFP thing but a young reporter vs old opinionator thing.

volprof80 writes:

He sounds like an awesome player! In other news, Rivals now has us ranked as the #1 recruiting class! Go Vols!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to murrayvol:

That's great news but we're a long way from the first Wednesday in Feb. GBO

Agreed we're a ways off from NSD..However, if you look at what Jones has done recruiting in just 5 months, it's astounding..He added another player to the 2013 class, has 14 commits for the 2014 class, has 3 for the 2015 class, and 1 for the 2016 class. Last year at this time UT had 2 commits for the 2013 class..I'd say that's reason for optimism..GBO!!

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to dirty_don:

just picked up a DE from Cleveland OH and now ranked no. 1 on rivals

Other than Kintucky, his offer list was pretty impressive.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to volprof80:

I saw the rivals recruiting list. It is so cool see Tennessee at the top of the list. G.B.O.!!!

rockypop writes:

I've got to wonder how the "other three" QBs feel about Butch Jones going all out to flip Dobbs when it looked like UT was pretty well set at QB. Surely, they have to be thinking that since Dobbs is the only purely Jones recruit, and seems to have the qualities Jones wants to run his offense, then Jones will naturally be predisposed to favor him.

Now, I'm sure no one will say this, but since Jones declared that neither Worley or Peterman emerged as the starter after spring, then I've got to believe that he said that to give himself the flexibility to seriously consider Dobbs and Ferguson. But, especially Dobbs. Worley seems to be an enigma. How can a guy so hyped, and a rising Junior with starting experience, not nail the job down?

I kinda feel for Worley and Peterson - even Ferguson, because their timing couldn't have been worse. For all to be Dooley recruits in a Jones world is not a desirable position in which to be. If both coaches ran a pro-style offense, then that would be different. But, they don't, and Jones has sent a clear message that his guy is Dobbs.

I look for turmoil and transfer at the QB position next season - maybe even the coming one.

BruisedOrange writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

...because when the old guys were young guys, they did all the leg work, and by their persistence (survival), earned a little less stress.

Sure, some of the old guys write like they know where the publisher buried all the bodies. But give those other old guys their due: they have a storehouse of memories, insights, historical perspective, and insider relationships they can call upon--and no amount of legwork and internet research can match that.

As for why the T-FP might have better quality Vol articles... they don't write as many. T-FP can not only choose which story, they don't have to publish it a day before it's polished.

I moved from Chattanooga to Knoxville for 2 years back in the '80s. "WooHoo!" I thought. "Two newspapers writing UT stories every day!" Well, yeah, kinda. But mostly, it was just wall-to-wall criticism and second-guessing. Same thing when I lived in an NFL town.

I think it's a universal rule: The most fan-satisfying team coverage begins in the newspaper that's at least two hours from the stadium.

VolGrad writes:

Despite the ones who seem to enjoy pointing out how early this is in the recruiting process for 2014, the fact that we are sitting at #1 on Rivals in that recruiting class is extremely significant. Just think about that for a minute. When was the last time we were anywhere near #1 in any recruiting class? And where have our classes been ranked in recent years at this point? Freaking crazy people.

I said, freaking crazy people!!!

Something cookin' on Rocky Top, ya'll! Go Vols!!!

VOL56 writes:

in response to Vol1983:

83 you really should check out KNSs "Go Vols 247" most informative articles about the VOLS and SEC.
I think you will enjoy!
Give it a shot - you will get all of the latest about the VOLS.

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to rockypop:

IF Dobbs comes in here and lights it up, so to speak,...then I think we will see some of the QB's moving on to another opportunity. These days coaches don't have the luxury of waiting for a QB to learn on the job. Whoever can produce results will get the job, even if he is a freshman! Just ask Texas A&M about that!

Rockypop made some good points and so did you. It is perhaps natural that a coach might favor a guy he brings in--especially a highly-ranked guy he had to pry loose from an earlier committment--over the inexperienced holdovers from a losing team. However, I do hope the actual competition for the job is a fair one, and seen as such by the whole team. Sometimes a new coach says a little too much initially about how different things will be when he gets "his" guys in. For his first year or two, most of the guys on the squad were here before the new guy was. If they don't get a sense they are being treated fairly, they could make for a sour introduction to college football for the new guys, morale gets off to a bad start, and things go downhill from there. That seems to have happened to some extent with Dooley, but I have seen no signs so far that Butch will let something like that happen. The holdovers seem to really like Butch and Co. If they can keep building a good relationship, the atmosphere will be much more favorable for a smooth integration of the existing team with the newcomers, and if THAT all happens, the quality of the incoming recruits will continue to improve.