Joshua Dobbs has miscues but shows promise

Turnovers undermine Dobbs' start

Tennessee quarterback Joshua Dobbs (11) passes during the first half against Missouri at Faurot Field at Memorial Stadium in Columbia, Mo. on Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

COLUMBIA, Mo. — In his first career start, true freshman quarterback Joshua Dobbs never managed to lead Tennessee into the end zone.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

UTVOLSFAN4LIFE writes:

Dobbs has a quick release and looked very accurate for the most part today against a strong defense. He also gave an option to run at the QB position that Tennessee has been missing. He made some mistakes which you would expect in a true freshman's first start. This guy is going to be special for UT.

lonesome_dove writes:

Look, i'm all for Josh Dobbs and the Vols - truth is that the kid threw two INT's and coughed up a fumble and did not even manage one TD - this is what you call promising ??

then again, he has to play behind our "Top 5 in the country" offensive line that folds like a cheap camera at the sight of any team with a decent defense.

Plasticman85 writes:

Once Dobbs learns that taking care of the ball is the most important thing he can do, he will be fine. He shows a lot of promise with his athleticism and poise. I think he will become a special player and fits CBJ's offensive system. I hope we get to see Ferguson at some point as well but will probably be next year.

Goodgriefcharliebrown writes:

Whatever. He lost. Heh, heh!

southernbelle79 writes:

Dobbs looks promising. His receivers let him down on a number of big plays that could have set up touchdowns. We also saw why Mizzou is ranked in the top 10.

TommyJack writes:

Dobbs is clearly the future. Will develop into the perfect fit for Butch's scheme.

no1djkb#278630 writes:

You can sure tell who the fans of UT are. Dobbs looked good besides the three mistakes he made. Has the coaches ever let Justin throw that much? That should tell you something. I would like to see Riley. If he was ahead of Dobbs, he must be a real baller.

underthehill writes:

in response to no1djkb#278630:

I don't think Riley was ever ahead of Dobbs..I think they really wanted to redshirt Dobbs and give him 4 years.. I don't see any qb having more potential than Dobbs..he obviously was not properly coached and prepared to avoid unnecessary contact..if so ..the fumble would not have happened..on one interception ..the pass was on target and the defender just made a good play..the receiver did nothing to go after the ball or defender..the receivers are not being aggressive and are not making routine catches..this is on the coaches as well as the receivers..when a qb is throwing the ball before the receivers makes his break..the receiver and qb have to be on the same page..this will take time..but I like what I see in Dobbs and I hope to see him coached better and I hope to see the receivers get with it...

no1djkb#278630 writes:

in response to underthehill:

Hey I like Dobbs and agree with your post, but the coaches could not have expected him to stay four years if Riley would have came in and tore it up. Now if you are telling me they had planned on giving the offense to Dobbs next year and jumping him over Riley then I can see what you are saying. Those two negative post just caught my attention. There has not been one freshman QB that has come into a situation like that and performed like he has been at UT for four years. I thought he looked better than Justin ever look all year. If I could remember, he threw a pick six last week at bama where he looked at the receiver the whole time.

pingkr62 writes:

I think it was Paul "Bear" Bryant who once said, "For every freshman who plays, that can be counted as a loss" or something like that. Dobbs, Branisel, Harris, Johnson, North, Reves-Maybin, Smith, Sutton, Vereen, Wiesman, Carter and Croom. Combine these players with those who will likely start next year as true freshmen, Tennessee football has a long way to go before they can be competitive in the SEC. We as fans, at least the true fans, will have to wait for some time before the day comes when Tennessee football is where it was 10-15 years ago. But that day is coming. G.B.O.!!!

murrayvol writes:

Kid has all the tools and a big brain to boot. He is a bit short on experience. That will come....hopefully in time to salvage a bowl bid.

Dickattrade writes:

in response to pingkr62:

I just turned 72 0n Thursday.Will I live long enough to see us back at the top again?

pingkr62 writes:

in response to Dickattrade:

I'm sure you will, considering my father recently celebrated his 91st. You're still a young man!

STEELMAN4VOLS writes:

in response to UTVOLSFAN4LIFE:

that quick release and his ability to run give the fans some hope for brighter days ahead. Dobbs is definately getting valuable experience!

johndavid writes:

Please find Josh Smith a new place to play football until he can catch a pass. If we are that bad at wr that a true freshman that can't catch a pass plays alot........ oh my goodness. WE NEED PLAYERS I hope they are on the way!

in response to Goodgriefcharliebrown:

Whatever. He lost. Heh, heh!

Good grief, indeed! Are you trying to make up for the diminished troll population all by yourself? If so, you are making a good start since you show yourself to be a loser-troll every time you post! Dobbs will mature and get better; you--pretty much a permanently lost cause.

in response to pingkr62:

Actually, I think Bryant's comment was about SOPHOMORES, which shows how long ago he made it. Of course, I agree with the intent of your post. A good coach--and I agree that UT has a number of good ones--can TEACH a player far more than he is able to LEARN and USE in real-time game action. One thinks of the expression, "trying to drink from a firehose". There are those one-in-a-thousand freshmen who arrive on campus ready to kick butt at the college level, but most of them have almost no idea of what all there IS to learn at this level, let alone acquire USEFUL knowledge right off the bat AND have the physical ability to MAKE use of it. However, as a relatively "seasoned" fan myself, I can sympathize with the one who hoped he would live long enough to see an end to this down period in Vol fortunes.

threehundredbowler writes: