John Adams: Missouri looks like Alabama to Vols

John Adams

COLUMBIA, Mo. — Tennessee’s first game in the state of Missouri didn’t go much differently from its last game in the state of Alabama.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Related Stories

standfast#211788 writes:

Former Tennessee commitment Tajh Boyd broke the ACC record for touchdowns yesterday. Lane Kiffin told him he was 'not a good fit for Tennessee's offense', so he went to Clemson. Kiffin -- the gift that keeps on giving.

cltvol writes:

We were outplayed and outcoached. The GA coaches that we used to torch are running our defense. That's bugged me all year.

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

Sure hope Butch don't have a stroke before he gets this mess corrected. Don't know that I have ever seen a Tennessee team look so inept as they did yesterday.

ut_man1#1427524 writes:

IF THE VOLUNTEERS CAN MAYBE BEAT KENTUCKY AT THERE PLACE! THEN MAYBE FINISH 5-6 WOW! O LINE is just worried about maybe getting drafted, they don't care about winning for UT

brewlocal writes:

That offensive line is an embarrassment to organized football. 6 pre-snap penalties. Richardson could have been called for lining up in the backfield at any point in the game. I can't believe these guys are really pro prospects. The Missouri O line, they looked like pro prospects.

volbald writes:

How dare anyone criticize the Vols offensive line which every UT player, coach, and News Sentinel sports writer has anointed as the best in the SEC/Nation! You'd think the critics finally looked at the scoreboard and stats for each game this year. The O-line has ben mailing in its performance nearly the entire season. But the Pros will take care of the O-line. Remember that Adrian Foster couldn't get through the line without fumbling when Fulmer was coaching him and now he's All-World in the NFL.

in response to brewlocal:

I'm afraid I have to agree. Just about the only guy on the team who has anything to feel good about from last night is Palardy. Nobody else ever seemed to be in the game at all. Both lines were about as bad as I have seen in awhile. I guess this "death march" of a schedule has something to do with it, but if the guys can't get themselves under control starting right now, they can once again spend bowl season at home.

I love my Vols as if they were my family. I'm happy for them when they do well and sad for them when they don't. But if they don't feel bad enough for themselves to get some of this stuff fixed, they will deserve whatever miserable fate awaits them. If they have another performance like this against Auburn, some of that highly-touted recruiting class might start to fall away. Some of those supposed big-time O-linemen, especially, had better be hitting the books, because their chances of drawing those big NFL checks are rapidly dwindling. It also amazes me how inept the receivers are almost across the board. Sad, sad.

AtLannaVFL writes:

I don't know what game John Adams was watching but that was easily the best QB performance of the year for the Vols. One of the interceptions was caused by a d-lineman hitting Dobb's arm. He had one other int and the fumble and yeah those were mistakes made by a Qb trying to make plays for an inept offensive team. A couple of over throws by a freshman qb in his first start on the road against a top 10 team. Worley still averages 4 or 5 bad throws to open receivers per game. And if Josh Smith catches that perfect pass over the middle that's, 273 yards and 1 TD for Dobbs--very respectable.

I like Dobbs as the new face of the franchise. Smart. A good leader. and three more years of eligibility. I'm happy we've found our next 4 yr starter.
And oh yeah, the o-line is the most over rated unit since the 90's. If I'm coach Jones, I'd start working the younger kids in to get them ready for next year.
Hey Tiny, how bout a cup o shut-the-h_ll-up!

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I think you are right about the schedule. I think the team, especially the starters, have had too many reps, and more important too many HARD reps against the nations best talent. It takes a toll over time.

robert#1417579 writes:

in response to cltvol:

Good point regarding the defense. Our defense has been so soft, passive, not aggressive, whatever you want to call it. We blitzed once against bama and only once in the first half last night. Both times had positive results. As bad as our defense is why not blitz on most every play, from anywhere and everywhere? What can it hurt? If our DBs can't cover then they need help. What would help more than not letting the QB stand untouched in the pocket on most every play? Our linebackers are useless anyway, so send one or more on every play. Send a safety from time to time. Anything to give your defense a chance to succeed. Sending 3 or 4 on 99% of the plays just doesn't work.

jone8191#247590 writes:

Just returned from Columbia and if you get anything from watching this Vol team in person, it is that they are slow, slower, slowest, especially on defense. And I am tired of hearing about that great offensive line. I'd say they are in the bottom third of the SEC although I do have to give them a bit of a pass for lack of a SEC caliber tailback. I knew Doolittle left the cupboard bare but this is ridiculous. Butch probably needs a raise for beating So. Carolina but this is not going to be fun the rest of the year. Play the freshman now, play them next year and let's hope for better days ahead.

Goodgriefcharliebrown writes:

Heh, heh! Nice column JA.

in response to robert#1417579:

You might be onto something there. I have suggested the same thing several times. Playing conservative with a subpar defense just means they are on the field longer to get more beat up and worn down. If you play aggressive, you might come up with some turnovers and defensive scores. Such a strategy might have been even more effective last year when the Vols had the quick-strike offense that could score enough to stay in a high-scoring game. This year, causing turnovers would perhaps help compensate for an offense that can rarely count on making big plays. And then there is the enthusiasm factor for the defense. If they have an attacking mentality, they are at least being proactive rather than standing around to get pounded on. Oh well--what do we know? We're just internet-posting fans.