Tennessee men's basketball looks forward to challenge of starting at Xavier

Head coach Cuonzo Martin chats with players during the men's basketball team's practice at University of Tennessee's Pratt Pavillion in Knoxville on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2013.  (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

Head coach Cuonzo Martin chats with players during the men's basketball team's practice at University of Tennessee's Pratt Pavillion in Knoxville on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2013. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Southern Indiana will have to forgive the Tennessee men’s basketball team if it seems a bit dismissive. It’s just that the Vols’ second and final exhibition game comes only a few days before the looming opener that might set the tone for the season.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

BrassMonkey writes:

I predict 11/12 will be the first brick in Martin's brick by brick campaign of his final season as UT's head coach. This guy is outclassed and tells his guys they are a tournament team every January when they are barely .500 . Martin's last season in Knoxville, book it.

RockyTop1 writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

What planet are you on?? Maymon was missing last year and we have a great incoming class...I think we are looking at a very "Special Season." GO VOLS!!

BrassMonkey writes:

in response to RockyTop1:

Of course you said the same thing about Dooley's football teams too so I'm pretty sure your opinion doesn't count.

JSmith525 writes:

in response to RockyTop1:

I really would not pay too much attention to him. He pays on this site just so he can post negative BS comments. That's his life! Just saying...

underthehill writes:

Xavier is an excellent opener..good for recruiting..good for making the big show..good for getting ready for the SEC..I like it..what I don't like is all this discussion about calling it closer to cut down on contact..this gives the refs more control of which team wins and that ain't good..expecially when you have to go to tucky..

in response to BrassMonkey:

Care to put your money where your mouth is that this will be Martin's last season? Talk is cheap, especially YOUR talk. There is no more comparison between Dooley and Martin than there is between you and, well, darned anybody with half a brain.

in response to underthehill:

No question the new rules will take a lot of getting used to by all concerned. Most teams won't be able to play as physical as they would like to or would have in the past, but at least this year the Vols have enough good offensive players to capitalize BIG time on less physical defense AGAINST them. They also have enough depth that they won't be quite as hampered by having players in early foul trouble as most opponents will be.

BTW, I just looked at the schedule, and the Xavier game is listed for a 1:00 PM start on TUESDAY, Nov. 12. What's up with that? I know Veterans' Day is Nov. 11, which is a holiday for many, but Tuesday, Nov. 12, isn't a holiday for anybody. As a retired old geezer, I'm good with that time, but that is not the case for most people. I'm confused!