John Adams: A UT senior class defined by losses can finish with winning streak

John Adams
Tennessee defensive lineman Jacques Smith (55) runs for a touchdown after making an interception against Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall (14) during the first half at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville on Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

Butch Jones can be uplifting even in the most miserable times.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

BrassMonkey writes:

It isn't going to happen. I called it early in the season when all the Butch slappers and coach lovers were calling for a 7,8,9 or 10 win season. Tennessee will be sitting at home again this year during bowl season. Vandy improved this year and Tennessee got much, much worse. Chalk that up as a loss, and Kentucky may beat this bunch of slow poke quitters too, but gosh wasn't that South Carolina game great? Oh and losing to Georgia by 3 still makes me so happy, because at the new UT second rate coaching and close losses are just like wins. Wait till next year! The rally cry of the Vols.

in response to BrassMonkey:

Blah, blah, blah. It must be a real drag to walk around with a dark gray cloud over your head all the time. Yeah, some few were saying 8 or more wins this year, but most of us were pretty sure that any more than 6 wins would be a triumph for this team. We didn't expect to get killed quite as often, but that was before we realized what the full implications of having to play one of the toughest schedules anywhere would be for a team as lacking in talent and depth as this one was.

There is no reason at all why the Vols can't win out, but even if they don't, if they can hang onto all their committed recruits and keep recruiting at that level, they will be back. It may take another year or two, but again, anybody with half a brain already knew it would take that, barring some presently unknown program-changing recruit or two. And you just never know when such a one might show up.

My question to you is this: When the Vols do get good again, where will you be? Will you change your screen name and come on here acting like you knew it all along? Or will we just not hear from you again at all? That last is my preference. There is no worse kind of fan, IMHO, than one who kicks their "favorite" team when they are down and crows about them when they are on top again. That way, you are "right" all the time, right? And after all, isn't being "right" so much important than the success of your "favorite" team? And if the Vols AREN'T your favorite team, why are you on here?

BrassMonkey writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Actually I am pretty much the only one left on GoVolsXtra because everyone else has been so wrong that they left. I also called what would happen with Kiff, Dooley, and now Butch. I will be right here when the Vols are good again, and I will also let you know when it will happen. As of now, they are a long ways off so if the Butch slappers and coach worshipers would temper the optimism before next season as well it would be helpful. I think everyone can admit that some of the problems we are having now with special teams and penalties are coaching related, and in a conference as tough as the SEC it will not translate into a long coaching career at UT if they continue, #2 recruiting class or not.

halhhaynes#364264 writes:

I am a "glass half full" find of fan and darn glad of it. I can't imagine how pathetic it would be to always go around in life as a "glass is half empty" or the "sky is falling," type of fan. GO VOLS and keep building it brick-by brick Coach Jones!

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

Fatigue = slow.

I hope the Vols can get their legs back in the off week and finish well.

psychovol2 writes:

I never thought I'd see the day that JA was more optimistic than me. I'll have some of that Kool-Aid or whatever JA is drinking, or smoking. All kidding aside, I want it bad for these seniors and I hope they do too. They've gotten a raw deal and a bunch of really bad coaches that set them up for failure. CBJ inherited this mess and didn't create it. Nevertheless, the jury is still out on the coordinators.

southernbelle79 writes:

I too hope the seniors end on a winning streak. Even if they don't, they have proven themselves to be winners in life because they have endured, and overcome obstacles, and given their all week after week. While few, and maybe none will see NFL careers, I expect many of them will use that tenacity and grit to excel throughout their lives. Lesser men would have quit.

Lesser men like the fair weather fans who agitated to have Fulmer fired, and learned the true meaning of "be careful what you wish for," and who have never played a single down of SEC football, but yet have no problem trashing young men who put on the orange and give their all for Tennessee.

in response to BrassMonkey:

That was actually a somewhat more thoughtful response than I would have expected, considering that nearly everything else you have posted on here was some kind of gratuitous slap at coaches, fans, players, etc. I would say only that a stopped clock is right twice a day. Unrelenting pessism is no more likely to accurately predict the future over the long haul than irrational exuberance.

I have no doubt that CBJ and staff have had to undergo a learning process in moving to the SEC. I'm also pretty sure they have never found themselves so under-gunned compared to the opposition. What gives me and other Vol fans hope that he will right the ship eventually is that he has a seamless basic approach that will yield results if given the time.

I was dubious about Kiffen on several levels when he was hired, but since he was the Vols' coach, I wanted him to succeed. Likewise with Dooley. I stated several positives for both of those men and offered what support I could. In both cases their basic flaws--which most recognized, even their initial supporters--prevented them from doing what had to be done to put UT back on top. However, most of us realize that everybody is a mixture of strengths and weaknesses and there is no way to predict in advance which will predominate within a particular person at a particular time.

You would seem to be one of those who put most of the blame for the recent decline at levels above mere coaches. You may have a point. I just know that I am not in a position to affect whatever happens at any such level, so I have to wait for people who are in such a position to decide what they want to do. In the meantime, I will not try to undermine those who are trying to something positive in difficult situations or others like me who support them in doing so. But perhaps you feel differently.