John Adams: Stakes are high against Vanderbilt

John Adams
Coach James Franklin, right, shades his eyes as he has a quick sideline talk with quarterback Patton Robinette (4) during the second half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013 in Gainesville, Fla. where Vanderbilt defeated Florida 34-17. (AP Photo/Phil Sandlin)

Photo by Phil Sandlin

Too bad only Tennessee has an open date this week, and Vanderbilt has to play at Kentucky on Saturday.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

fkwiii#206198 writes:

great article. how about one going in depth on vandy's wins at georgia and florida. you have the time, i have to go to work. read where florida really stunk it up in that one.

cool writes:

Could someone clear up something for me. Is this Robinette related to my old basketball coach Pat Robinette who also played B Ball at UT? Also hope we don't allow him to be a one night Heisman candidate

Dickattrade writes:

Please do not refer to Franklin in the same breath as General Neyland!!!

bUTch__please writes:

So enjoyed these articles praising "The Ole Ball Coach" and "General" Franklin. Gosh...can't wait to read about how Coach Stoops has got Butch outflanked as well...

...and to think, some sportswriters just hack out the same perspective every time.

TommyJack writes:

in response to cool:

grandson

armydawg53 writes:

Vandy already accepted the gift from UGA, smacked down FLA and will be ready to win at Neyland....maybe since dinosaurs roamed the earth. You might be pumped, I guarantee you they will be.

underthehill writes:

in response to Dickattrade:

Please do not refer to Franklin in the same breath as General Neyland!!!

I read the article as John saying Vandy fans might call him the General..not UT fans..the General got his name for doing things at UT that had not been done before..Franklin has done the same for Vandy..Vandy is not now the same Vandy it was before Franklin..their offensive line whipped Fla and the Vandy win was no fluke..the only chance UT has to beat Vandy is to play their very best..and even that may not be good enough..

gc_scvol writes:

Franklin and Neyland in the same sentence. JA, you should be on the road. Headed anywhere out of town.

SmokeysPup writes:

in response to underthehill:

General Neyland got his name because he was a "REAL" General. Not a nickname.

bUTch__please writes:

in response to armydawg53:

My guarantee is you best get your chippy comments out before Marshall has a homecoming of his own against your pups this Saturday and welcomes them to the half-a-hundred club as well.

allvol8 writes:

in response to cool:

His grandson He was Asst Principal when I was @ Doyle

underthehill writes:

in response to SmokeysPup:

General Neyland got his name because he was a "REAL" General. Not a nickname.

You are right..but I think the comparison Adams was making had nothing to do with the military..

psychovol2 writes:

We all know about Tiny's predictions. They're punctuated by false starts and come up empty. Butch called it a maturity issue. Put up, or shut up. And no more spikes in the end zone speaking of maturity. Act like you've been there and actually do something like win before you celebrate. To all the people bemoaning the fans not being in the seats, I consider it a referendum on the product on the field and a prerogative of free speech. I'm not defending myself either because I'm there early and leave when the fat lady sings. This week I was late because I left in the fourth quarter and she sang with the 3rd quarter kick off.

in response to SmokeysPup:

General Neyland got his name because he was a "REAL" General. Not a nickname.

You're right, but I don't think he WAS a real general when he was first hired. He probably wasn't called that then, either, but if he was it was probably in the sense of "field general".

in response to underthehill:

HA! I hadn't scrolled down this far when I put up my post. Sorry, SmokeysPup, if I seemed to be piling on.