Tennessee named one of 'America's Ugliest College Campuses'

A look at what Travel and Leisure Magazine had to say about the University of Tennessee campus.

The University of Tennessee campus is:

See the results »

View previous polls »

While no one is advocating that the University of Tennessee's flagship campus in Knoxville is a Garden of Eden, its prominence in a new survey from Travel and Leisure Magazine is sure to strike a bit of a sour note on The Hill.

In the magazine's recent online feature on America's Ugliest College Campuses, the 'stately walls of old UT,' per the lyrics of the school's alma mater, came in as the 11th-ugliest in the nation according to the editors.

Aside from calling the John C. Hodges library an eyesore, the writers also say that with “a lack of green space and a road slicing the campus in half, the brick and concrete environs of the University of Tennessee could double as a skateboard park.”

The online feature came out of a July, 2012, article in the print edition of the magazine, and was based partly on student feedback on the site Unigo.com and on the Princeton Review, another site that delves into aspects of campus life.

Tell us your thoughts on the campus on our online poll (mobile and tablet users can click here to vote)

tl19#222666 writes:

Before or after Saturday's FB game?!

tntuba#225866 writes:

It's beautiful to me.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Lou Holtz probably help write the article.

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

Who cares what some ding bats have to say about our home on Rocky Top. It is what it is and we love it.

MikeNPS writes:

What does this have to do with sports? Why not have an article telling how the News Sentinel has some of the worst sports writers?

TommyJack writes:

BFD

bUTch__please writes:

Again. This article gets recycled yearly with the same results and headline. It's my school. I've walked the hills and sat in the classrooms. No, it's not a campus that has a cohesive architecture. It is a hodge-podge of every building being completely different. Welcome to The Hill. Ugly on the outside, all Vol on the inside. Not much different than most of us. Next year will be the same result and I'll still love it.

Alpha-Snail writes:

I grew up in Ktown but haven't lived there in years. Awhile back I returned to visit and I drove through the campus. I was shocked at it's appearance. I'm afraid the survey is right. It's no beauty queen. That said, it more than makes up for it with beautiful Rocky Top surroundings.

DroopyDrawers writes:

Who gives a phooey, win football games.

murrayvol writes:

And now this......geezus.

standfast#211788 writes:

It is somewhat odd that they drew attention to the library, which admittedly is not of particular merit, but interesting, and said nothing about the carbuncle of incongruity that is the College of Architecture and Design. Go figure.

ColPhorbin writes:

Yeah, it's dismal, stuck in the middle of the city.. I'd guess every major and minor college within 300 miles smokes this concrete jungle... for those that disagree, you've simply never been to another campus, bottom line.

oldschoolvol writes:

I am sure UTK's beauty is what is attracting all of the highly rated recruits that Coach Jones is bringing in. Not. I am a graduate of UT and frankly I don't care what the campus looks like now as long as we continue to give our students a great education and we begin to win the right way.VFL

psychovol2 writes:

As long as it has a Krystal on the strip I'm good. Screw White Castle.

anne.luck.williams#1425744 writes:

I graduated in '78 and now have children who have recently graduated and some who are students there. I think the campus is prettier now than when I was a student and I had no complaints then. Some people just look for reasons to be unhappy - nobody tries to make their campus home ugly. We might as well have Miss Ugly America pageants. Good Grief! I love Rocky Top so it's beautiful to me - end of story!

KevDVol writes:

But she has a great personality and her "daddy" is loaded.