Tennessee, Vandy game will kick off at 7 p.m.

Tennessee linebacker Jacques Smith leaves the field after the loss to Vanderbilt at Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2012. Vanderbilt defeated Tennessee 41-18. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Tennessee's game against Vanderbilt on Nov. 23 will kick off at 7 p.m. and be televised by ESPN2 or ESPNU, UT announced on Monday.

The Vols (4-6, 1-5 SEC) have a bye this week after losing to Auburn on Saturday. Vanderbilt (5-4, 2-4) plays Kentucky on Saturday after beating Florida last week.

Vanderbilt beat Tennessee 41-18 last year in Nashville. Vols coach Derek Dooley was fired the next day.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter or visit his blog.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TommyJack writes:

That blows

BrassMonkey writes:

I hate having to wait all day to watch the Vols lay an egg on the field. Hopefully Vandy beats them by less that 20 this year. Although, Tennessee hasn't competed with anyone or showed up in over a month (October 19th) so I don't expect much for this one either.

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

Come on guys the year is almost over. Has it been a bad year? Yep it has but we got to believe that brighter days are coming. Less support the kids come hell or high waters they deserve it whether we really believe it or not.

For your info Down here in Florida Ron Zook just gave Muschamp a vote of confidence if you can believe that. So smile it could be worse.

stevefromjasper writes:

The SEC wonders why sellout crowds don't show up, then they schedule games for noon in September and 7pm in November. But that's ok - piped-in noise blaring out of the Jumbotron will solve everything.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

A very good chance that this game will played in freezing weather and they wonder why attendance is down.

TNlogfire writes:

Vol fans will show up...get it now..?

psychovol2 writes:

I'll be there and this time I'll dress warm enough. If they lose I'll feel like a chump but I'll be there nonetheless. I had eight tickets for the Auburn game and took most of my family. I hated it for them the most. Fortunately the game I took my 83 year old Dad to was SC.

poppatock writes:

you have tickets and don't want to go because of the game time? let me know. we'll put vol fans in the seats.

ORboy writes:

in response to stevefromjasper:

Steve, you do realize that TV times are decided by the networks, don't you. The SEC has very little say about when their games kick-off.

southernbelle79 writes:

I watched Michigan play Ohio State in single digit weather in Michigan. The stadium was packed from start to finish.

Are you folks telling me that Tennessee fans are such wimps that they can't dress in layers for a football game?

Before I moved here, I was told TN has the best fans on the planet. I saw that at the Georgia and USC games. Saturday, I was embarrassed to call myself a Vol fan. The team ran out at the beginning of the game to an 80% full stadium. They played their hearts out and gave it their all for 4 quarters. The fans began abandoning them early in the third quarter.

I hope CBJ is talking about playing for each other and for the coaches, because I can't think of anything less motivating than playing for the fair weather Vol fans.

TommyJack writes:

Great, Belle. Nothing like a transplant telling how they did it up north.

wilk58 writes:

in response to southernbelle79:

AS a Vol fan who lives in MI 40 minutes from ANN Arbor I can tell you there stadium has empted a lot in the last few years. It was called the RichRod years and there were a whole bunch of unhappy fans up here.

It is also happening again after the last 2 weeks.

southernbelle79 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Great, Belle. Nothing like a transplant telling how they did it up north.

I am not a transplant from up north. I happened to have an opportunity to attend a great game, even though I am not a fan of either of those teams. I do appreciate supportive fans.

So now that you have taken your best, but erroneous shot at me for being a Yankee and an outsider, please defend the Vol fans for arriving late, sitting on their hands, and leaving early.

southernbelle79 writes:

in response to wilk58:

It is also happening again after the last 2 weeks.

So your defense of Vol fans is they are as fair weather as Michigan fans? I was born, bred, and educated in the south, but that sounds like a pretty weak defense.

Care to try again?

wilk58 writes:

in response to southernbelle79:

Care to try again?

You stated stadium was full from start to finish in single digit temps like there isn"t fair weather fans up here. Just saying there are fair weather fans everywhere.

BJ writes:

Fans who leave early on ANY game are not really fans just observers. FANS stay til the end and root on the team. Coach Jones has us headed in the right direction it doesn't happen overnight, look at the 2014 class he has assembled so far if that is an example of what he can do watch out Tennessee will be back competing for championships again soon

tenacvol#248890 writes:

in response to southernbelle79:

Don't blame southernbelle79. He is exactly right. I am a Tennessee guy through and through and have had season seats on the 50 for the past 25 years. I have never been so disappointed in TN fans as last Saturday vs. Auburn. I felt like I was at an away game. I was absolutely surrounded everywhere I looked by Auburn fans. Apparently the so-called TN faithful had sold their tickets to the Auburn fans. Nauseating. Our new Coach has to literally beg TN fans to come to the game. How far we have fallen as TN fans supporting our team. Never thought I would see the day that fan support would be so bad. Especially for a new Coach who is clearly giving his all for TN!

stevefromjasper writes:

in response to ORboy:

ORboy, you do realize that the SEC sold the rights to the networks and could have put stipulations in the contracts mandating when games would kick off - but that would cost the SEC some money, and they're too greedy to make that concession to the fans.