Vols' QB Nathan Peterman says he relied on faith after dismal debut, injury

Tennessee quarterback Nathan Peterman (12) and running back Rajion Neal (20) talk on the bench during the first half against Florida Saturday, Sep. 21, 2013 at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville, Fla.   (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick

Tennessee quarterback Nathan Peterman (12) and running back Rajion Neal (20) talk on the bench during the first half against Florida Saturday, Sep. 21, 2013 at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville, Fla. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee quarterback Nathan Peterman’s tenure as a starter lasted a little more than an hour.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Orange_Power_T writes:

Stay with Dobbs. He shows more promise and has an arm. As far as debuts go, seems to me Dobbs had a much more difficult stage.

SewaneeVolFan writes:

I like Peterman as a member of the Vols, and I have to believe he's overall a better quarterback than he showed at Florida. He sounds like a mature guy who is using his experience to help him get past a bad day at the office. I always hear that he's a very good teammate, and guys like that are always valuable to a team.

However, benching Worley for Peterman was one of the few coaching decisions Coach Jones has made that I thought was not a very good one, and I thought that BEFORE Peterman had his horror show experience. I'm sorry Worley got hurt, and I'm sorry that he'll probably only get his position back if Dobbs gets hurt, but as Coach Jones always says, he has to play the players who give UT the best chance to win, and right now Dobbs seems to be the QB who provides that best chance.

johndavid writes:

I hope he gets a chance somewhere to have a successful day at QB. He will be successful in life regardless. He might come in very handy in a couple of yrs when the starting QB misses a game due to injury. You never know.

STEELMAN4VOLS writes:

Great maturity & character shown in this young man,and I hope he will have productive games in his future, if even as a back-up

TNFaninFL writes:

I think it is pretty clear the coaching staff feel like Dobbs is the future and will build around him. Worley will be the backup next year which leaves Peterman and Ferguson with the decision to transfer or not. Butch better go recruit another QB based on what these two guys decide to do.

RoadTrip writes:

It is silly to say the future is Dobbs when he hasn't proven anything yet and the team has not won a game, much less consistently win games. with him at QB. This competition will continue into the spring and fall practice.

Keep your head up Nate. Make sure you are ready for when your second chance occurs.

underthehill writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

Dobbs is the qb unless he gets hurt..he is the most talented and gives the Vols the best chance to win..no question and the no competition will continue..he is the man..

psychovol2 writes:

Should have prayed before the FL game not after. Actually I hope the young man gets another shot and redeems himself righteously. No sense in pulling off another redshirt unless a bowl game is the prize. Peterman's arm has never been in question. Everyone gets one false start it's called a mulligan.

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

in response to SewaneeVolFan:

I agree with you on this decision. I like coach but I think Peterman was put in a very difficult situation. There is a whole phycology to starting versus coming off the bench. The burden weighs on a youngster for days. Especially on the road, in a position battle, at a renowned venue, only an hour drive from where the kid grew up, against a university that did not recruit you, and against one of the best defenses in the country.

wilk58 writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

A lot of confidence in a kid thats played in 3 blowout losses.