Mike Strange: This basketball game was lost brick by brick

Mike Strange
Tennessee guard Quinton Chievous, left, and Xavier center Matt Stainbrook chase a loose ball in the first half of an NCAA college basketball game, Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2013, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/Al Behrman)

Photo by Al Behrman

CINCINNATI — Well, what did you expect by now?

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

atnvol#283282 writes:

SOS

gc_scvol writes:

Starting to sound a little too much like JA, Mike. You are supposed to write sports not comedy. I suggest you give up on of the two. Either would be fine.

rocket22 writes:

OVERRATED TEAM.

OVERRATED COACH.

WE NEED BRUCE!

volnsc writes:

The entire team came out tight and over anxious. I'm no expert on much of anything but this is coaching. And I don't think a team comes to peak by playing every player on the roster, espeially when each and every one of them believes they will be leaving after the season for the NBA. Sorry to break the news, but after last nite it should be obvious there is not an NBA player on this roster. Very disappointing loss and eerily like the beginning of each of CCM's seasons as head ball coach.

robert#1417579 writes:

Mike Strange is dead on in this one. This team obviously isn't ready for the big time. If they don't win some games in the upcoming tournament or games against Wichita St. and Virginia they will be left out of the NCAA tournament again.

gc_scvol writes:

Bruce

Goodgriefcharliebrown writes:

in response to rocket22:

OVERRATED TEAM.

OVERRATED COACH.

WE NEED BRUCE!

ColPhorbin writes:

Yeah, been defending Cuonzo for several years to all the naysayers, but this is getting indefensible. With all that talent, nothing smooth or confident at all about this team. They just lumber along like a bunch of hacks. I'm sick of Cuonzo, sick of his cliche's about getting better... the guy really comes across like his head's in the clouds, like he's rebuilding still. This team's loaded and yet so tentative and unsure of itself. How is it that UK, so young, can look like such vets already? That's not just talent, that's coaching

TNlogfire writes:

Bad start in the game, bad start in the season....sound familiar..? Yep, like the last 2 seasons. We better get our heads out of our butts soon.

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

Pathetic effort. Clang, another miss. Too much of the "Big Head" syndrome. Too many articles and talk about how good they are before they have proven anything.
If they only shot 63% from the line they win.
They do look like the football team, inept in all phases of the game.

BrassMonkey writes:

I am pretty sure Mike Strange just stole my comment about this game from a few weeks ago and used it as his headline.

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

For all you delusional people begging for Bruce, get a life.
When you replace the Head Coach, Board of Trustees, Athletic Board, President of the University System, Chancellor of UTK and the Athletic Director, you can get Bruce back.
Maybe he goes to Memphis some day.
Tennessee Vols, never again, mark it down.

underthehill writes:

Have to say ..I was more disappointed than Mike Strange..for a veteran team to open against an inferior talented team and look like a phys ed class should disappoint any Vol fan..1 for 13 to open the game ..nonsense..any well prepared team would have a set play ..or several set plays ..to get a high percentage shot..and kick start the offense..brick by brick is exactly what we saw..and for the basketball knowledge-less fans..the term bricks is used when throwing up shots that have no chance..the offense has to do a better job getting open looks for the shooters..and the shooters are not Maymon and Stokes..they need to get their points on offensive rebounds.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to underthehill:

Know exactly what a brick is. I've thrown up a few. My reference is to the kNS writers who would rather get a laugh than write a good article, KNS has a couple of good writers, but it is long past time for some of them to retire and ride off into the moonshine.

murrayvol writes:

Instead of reviewing this game film with the team CCM should reprise either the UK/MSU or Duke/Kansas game and say "this is how it's done."

No team at any level should shoot a higher percentage of 3s than FTs. Good grief!

Rookie2 writes:

To much experimenting with the line-up in the first half. You experiment when the game is in hand and the opponent is wore down OR against the Citadels and Tennessee States. This was too big of a game, on the road to be running a 12 man rotation with freshman playing significant minutes. The defense was abysmal. We better learn to play zone if that's the best we can defend the high pick and roll.

rbromley7#1423785 writes:

My impression was that McRae didn't get the ball or shoot enough earlier in the game. How many opportunities or shots did he actually take early in the 2nd half? At times, no offensive plan, just stand and pass until someone goes on a hard drive or throws up a trey. Xavier's center with less talent made wonderful passes within a good game plan.

stevefromjasper writes:

"Brick by brick" -- pretty funny! But, Mike, hopefully you aren't using your best material in game #1! (ha, ha) I'm afraid there will be plenty of additional games with many bricks.

RoadTrip writes:

Zo can't get the right players in the game playing the right number of minutes. There are no repercussions for missing lay-ups and FT's. SOS three years in a row. Whatever.

VERY disappointing performance. I have always been a Martin fan. I still am at least in terms of his personal qualities, but this stagnant offense just MUST get fixed if this team is to live up to what I feel are quite reasonable expectations. I have said all along that if he doesn't prove he can handle a talented team, he won't have to worry about handling one in the future. Either he will no longer be at UT or he won't get any more talented players to come here, which of course ultimately means he won't be here long.

There was literally no part of the offense that looked at all like any kind of conscious plan was being followed. I could be more specific but I don't want to write that much right now and I am certain that nobody would want to read it. The defense and rebounding, except for occasional lapses, were good enough to win, but that offense was atrocious considering the available talent. I must say that Maymon is much further from what he was two years ago than I would have thought. I can't imagine why he didn't spend hours, when he couldn't do much of anything else, perfecting his mid-range jumper and free-throws. He would have needed to do that if he ever wanted to play pro ball even if he were 100% healthy. I can cut Barton a bit of slack for not having practiced but a couple of times in the last couple of weeks, but he surely didn't bring much extra last night. The game was clearly too big for the freshmen, including Hubbs, surprisingly enough.

I don't know what I would do to fix the dysfunction I saw last night. It wouldn't necessarily help much to try to get tougher on them--they seemed almost totally intimidated as it was. I almost hate to say it, but USC-Upstate will not be quite the pushover some might think. I saw where they played some fairly big-time program to a virtual standstill last week. The Vols we saw last night could lose to almost anybody. Time to put up or shut up, guys!

volnsc writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Agree with you on almost all points, especially the upcoming USC-Upstate game. This will not be an exhibation match. Vols better come to play or they could be in a really BIG hole.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

John..I couldn't agree more..I have been a Martin supporter because I know how much his success would mean to Vol basketball being a pleasure to watch..I thought with his pro background he would bring a load of common sense to the job..it is not evident..I have a friend (former college coach) who has said over and over..I can't tell what they are trying to do on offense..neither can I...defense must use some zone in today's game or you give your opponent an advantage that UT cannot afford to give..being predictable is stupid..

psychovol2 writes:

Just another losing team for UT. Nothing to see here.

Upon rereading my post above, I realize that I may not have given Barton enough credit. I missed parts of the game, apparently the parts when he became one of the Vols' only three double-figure scorers. He may not have been capable of playing more minutes the other night after his semi-layoff, but it is clear that he needs to be on the floor every minute he can stand. I think Thompson will be a decent player in time, but it is unfair to put the burden of running the offense on him for long stretches as a freshman when Barton is available. Many others besides myself saw Barton as perhaps the indispensible man if this team is to be productive on offense this year.