Vandy has chance to knock Vols out of bowl for 2nd year in a row

Familiar script except new UT coach

The teams have played 107 times in their history and every season since 1945. But it wasn’t until recently that Vanderbilt and Tennessee started to feel like a rivalry.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

underthehill writes:

I am pleasantly surprised the Vols are a 3 point favorite by one early line..I see Vandy as having the edge and I think the Vols will have to play their best to win..interesting that ESPN is doing the telecast..

gc_scvol writes:

Atta Boy Evan. Nothing like a good negative article to start the week.You're catching on. You're writing more like JA everyday. There will be some who reply, "He's just stating facts", and they will be, for the most part correct. You don't have to be a homer,but it wouldn't hurt to write a little something positive into your article. You have learned well from the boys from LA. Ok everybody can start telling me how wrong I am now.

oldster writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

How can one be positive when citing facts? The facts are what they are. UT has gotten too used to losing. They have gotten to the point where getting slaughtered no longer bothers them. Listen to their interviews. It is clear that they are not embarrassed by how they have played the last three weeks.

If that does not embarrass you, you are less likely to fight hard to prevent it from happening again. I.e. the Vols have developed a loser's mentality. This is very hard to overcome. We figured that the win over SCAR would have helped in that regard, but it appears that that win satisfied the team and that they feel that they have done enough now.

All that being said, the Vols have a better chance against Vandy than UK. Not only is the former in Knoxville and the latter away, but UK has a quarterback who can run (well, at least he is more mobile than the statue of liberty) and UT has never been able to defend a quarterback run. The UK qb will run for over 150 yards and upset UT. This is even more likely if the Vols lose to Vandy which, frankly, I have come to expect (the team has infected me with their losing attitude).

psychovol2 writes:

You can tell by the look on CBJ's face that he hates losing. I hope he can translate that to the players. Another loss to Vandy or KY would be seriously bad for the program. James Franklin's arrogance is supremely annoying but he's earned his narcissism. 3 years and 3 bowls at a school like Vandy doesn't leave any room for excuses from anyone else. He's a good coach and I hope he leaves for a school in a different conference. In fact the SEC has had an influx of great coaches so there's no room for mediocrity with any coaches including coordinators and special team coaches.

OrangePride writes:

OK...well let's everyone take a breath here. Vanderbilt has won ONE game by an embarrassing score.......against Dooley in his blessedly final season. Vandy has another good team this year....OK. But I'm not buying that this team has given up or has such meager talent that it can't compete. Were that so, Georgia and South Carolina would have never happened. So my point is this.....let's get loud and behind this team on Saturday. Let's give our all for Tennessee one more time and see what happens. Frankly, I believe we match up a LOT better against Vanderbilt than just about anybody we've played since early October. We'll deal with Kentucky and their "running" QB later. GO VOLS!!

TommyJack writes:

I hope we put an arse whoopin on the scone-eaters.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to oldster:

Thanks for not disappointing me, Dr Freud. I guess I'm just too old and set in my ways to believe that a positive attitude doesn't help. Nobody has gotten used to losing. One can never become accostomed to defeat. We are dowm, yes, but a little positive thought would help.(IMHO) ALL VOL...ALL THE TIME.

jmaples54 writes:

vandy's offense doesn't scare me. if we can find the rushing "lane" we will "dobb" their pain and "neal" in victory. I also hope that palardy just kicks and punts it to or over the sideline.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

I agree with all your post except :"Nobody has gotten used to losing."

Apparently the poster calling himself "Oldster"
has not only gotten used to it, but is now wallowing in it.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

I agree with all your post except :"Nobody has gotten used to losing."

Apparently the poster calling himself "Oldster"
has not only gotten used to it, but is now wallowing in it.

Thanks, and it is good to see that not everybody has resigned themselves to defeat. I know this situation will get better. Let's just be positive like REAL fans and not give up. ALL VOL. .. ALL THE TIME

tuckandlin#1424969 writes:

Going to beat them both and if your a TRUE VOLFAN OLDSTER you wouldn't even have postedyour BULL#### ccomment sounds like your a vandyster anyway just because we're down RIGHTNOW doesn't mean we're going to stay there. There are a LOT of GOOD things going on in OUR program RIGHTNOW and you are not one of them look at our recruits this is going to be a SPECIAL TEAM in a year or two then you will be back on the BANDWAGON this comes from a TRUE VOLFAN SMOKE14

cltvol writes:

We have to beat the dung and mustard. RIP George Cafego. God Bless Joe Thompson. I will say thanks to the Vandy Hospital folks, took good care of my brother.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to oldster:

I have to say that I agree with some of your comments. I agree that there are some players that have grown accustom to losing, but I think these are mostly Juniors and Seniors. I disagree with you when you say UK will beat UT, there just isn't enough talent for that to happen. The bye-week, and two weeks to prepare for Vandy should result in a win for the Vols. If UT doesn't beat Vandy, I expect to see more under class men play against UK. So the players with the losing attitudes will watch the game from the side lines.G.B.O.!!!

oldster writes:

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

I agree with all your post except :"Nobody has gotten used to losing."

Apparently the poster calling himself "Oldster"
has not only gotten used to it, but is now wallowing in it.

If you and gc have not heard the tone of acceptance of the thrashings that the Vol players have had in interviews following things, then not only are your glasses orange, but so are your hearing aids. Perhaps they can dig themselves out of it, or perhaps the coaches can; however, losing is no longer an embarrassment to those players. It used to embarrass me, but after being disappointed by the Vols for the vast majority of the 56 years I have rooted for them, I have become somewhat inured to it.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to oldster:

That's it, when you can't make a valid point, resort to personal attacks. I don't have to attack and expose you. You've already done that
ALL VOL. .. ALL THE TIME

fannotsheep writes:

Didn't think the article was negative. Do think losing another game to Vandy would be. If the Vols were capable of beating Carolina they can beat Vandy. If the coaches and players can't handle Vandy in Neyland Stadium, we would probably get embarrassed in a bowl game anyway.

The program is headed in the right direction. If the bulk of this commitment class actually signs, Tennessee will be putting some pretty good bricks in place for the future. Hats off to Franklin and to Patton Robinette, but the Vols should win this game.

oldster writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

ALL VOL. .. ALL THE TIME

Personal attack? You took my suggestion that you were not hearing what was there to be heard simply because your love of the Vols was not only blinding you, but deafening you as a personal attack? Really? Did you not, immediately after taking offense to that suggestion not admit it by saying "ALL VOL, ALL THE TIME." That does not sound like an objective person's response to me.

wilk58 writes:

in response to jmaples54:

Vols D scares me!

gc_scvol writes:

in response to oldster:

That's quite a gift you have there. Being able to tell how someone else feels. You have your opinion. I have mine. I respect your opinion. Also, I see nothing wrong with being a fan with a positive attitude, rather than a pessimistic part time fan. Done and done. ALL VOL... ALL THE TIME

oldster writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

My "gift" is being able to read and comprehend.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to oldster:

My "gift" is being able to read and comprehend.

You really should unwrap that gift and use it. Enough. I have wasted about 7 total minutes of my life I will never recover. It is often said that with age comes wisdom, but after listening to your words of wisdom, I'm starting to doubt it. And with that I take my leave.

in response to oldster:

Dang, man! You need your antidepressant prescription adjusted! I have seen plenty of quotes from Vol players about how disappointed they were with their recent performances. Would you really feel better about them if they just said, "Well, gosh, I guess we just aren't very good. I think I'll just give up football. It's just way too much work, anyway."