John Adams: Judge Vanderbilt by how it wins, not how it looks

John Adams

Kentucky and Vanderbilt brought back fond memories for Tennessee fans last Saturday. Both played dreadfully in a 22-6 Vanderbilt victory.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

psychovol2 writes:

That's just depressing...

gc_scvol writes:

Typical JA article. Dam I'll be glad when he retires.

atnvol#283282 writes:

Yeah, he is just PO that Saban punk slaps his lsu tigers on a regular basis...so he delights in antagonizing Vol fans during our down period. The worm will turn with BJ as our coach.

hdbusna72 writes:

To see this article simply as criticism of the Vols is delusional. The point is that Franklin has significantly improved Vanderbilt's competitiveness. They're now winning games they previously could not. As a Navy fan, I take satisfaction in opponents who don't give our team the respect they've earned on the field, and then find themselves on the short end of the scoreboard. Don't make the same mistake now with the Commode-doors just because of their previous reputation.

Dickattrade writes:

I really hate to admit John is almost correct in what he writes in this article but never the less I still hate Vandy and some way some how we just have to win the game. I don't think I can survive a loss to the phooey of a coach they have.

Volswin1 writes:

I wonder if johnny boy writes to give the other team bulletin board material from a Knoxville paper to motivate them to beat the Vols he does not like.

TommyJack writes:

Adams may be right on this one. But what is galling is his enjoyment in writing this scat.

bUTch__please writes:

Time to put a blow-out beat-down of historic proportions on the commode-doors and shut all this nonsense up.

Go Team #117...for the Seniors...let's make the turn.

gc_scvol writes:

I really think JA is just p o'ed because everybody at the university hasn't let him in the inner circle. The only reason he has access at all is common courtesy on the university's part. He just really doesn't like OUR VOLS, so he writes these articles just to po the readers. On another note. I do think we have hired the right coach and better times are ahead. There is already a marked improvement in our footballl program because of CBJ. We'll beat Vandy and Kentuck hands down. Lets just get to the stadium, get loud, and give an old-fashioned a whipping on Candy. ALL VOL...ALL THE TIME

SewaneeVolFan writes:

I didn't watch the Vandy-UK game, and it sounds as if it was a good thing that I didn't.

I've been very impressed with what Franklin has done at Vanderbilt. As long as they don't beat UT, I have no problem with them having success. Franklin's got a chip on his shoulder, but since he's achieved results, I can't complain about that, as I did about diNardo, and his refusal to speak the words UT or Tennessee. Perhaps if he'd won a game against the Vols, he could have done that.

However, to be all coachspeakese, for the Vols, the game has to be about them, and not VU, regardless of how the 'Dores have improved in the last couple of years. A week off -- excuse me, a bye week -- helped UT significantly against USC, and I think it'll help here. Players will have had time to rest and recover. Josh Dobbs will have had that much more time to get reps, learn the offense more fully, and work more with his receivers. You know everyone has been watching film.

Most important, if anything can keep the Vols' focus, it appears that would be the chance to get to a bowl game and get to a winning record for the year. The game could be uglier that VU/UK, and I wouldn't care less, as long as the Vols win. GBO.

OrangePride writes:

What Vandy has done these past two years is just win in spite of the stats....and win some of the unlikeliest of games as well. What's worse is that in each of the last two years Vanderbilt seems to have turned in one its best efforts of the season against the VOLS! I expect the same this year. But unlike last year, I expect the VOLS to also have one of their best games as well. The way to beat Vanderbilt is not very complicated; contain Matthews. That is easier said than done, but if Tennessee keeps him from constantly turning 4 yard catches into 12 yard first downs, they should win the game. The weather looks very ify for Saturday and that could be another unknown we have to surmount. I am REALLY pulling for a win this week because it is hard to imagine another year of listening to Vandy fans crow and Franklin being lauded as the second coming of Knute Rockney! GO VOLS!!

gc_scvol writes:

in response to OrangePride:

GOOD POST !!! GO VOLS !!!

in response to SewaneeVolFan:

Great post; agree with all. Despite the fact that they were generally overmatched in their last several games, they also didn't help themselves very much. If CBJ is to leave a lasting impression that he can indeed "coach guys up", this is a big chance to show that. If the Vols can avoid the stupid penalties and turnovers, put up some real resistance on defense, and move the ball fairly consistently, then a loss, while disappointing, would not necessarily be devastating. The reverse doesn't bear thinking about!