John Adams: Recruiting will trump what UT does its next two games

John Adams
Tennessee wide receiver Marquez North (8) reacts after making a reception on a hail mary pass against South Carolina cornerback Ahmad Christian (4) during the fourth quarter at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville on Saturday, Oct. 19, 2013. North's reception set Tennessee up to score the game-winning field goal. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

Recruiting rarely has been so important to a Tennessee football coach in November.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

OrangePride writes:

But of course, Tennessee is NOT going to lose its next two games. And that simple fact makes this class just all the more sweet. And JA, it does not appear that CBJ is done recruiting. There may be some very important additions yet to come.

psychovol2 writes:

Hmmm... Not so sure. I don't know why we have to settle and can't have both. I'm super impressed by CBJ's staff's recruiting efforts. But you have to do more than recruit. You have to develop the players, motivate the players, put together good schemes, make second half adjustments, exploit matchups, create a winning cultural conserve, etc... I've seen some of that this year and I fully believe we'll see much more. Nevertheless, JA, I don't want to settle.

oldster writes:

in response to psychovol2:

I subscribe to the philosophy, "once bitten, twice shy." I have seen little on the field from Jones that I did not see from Dooley in his first year. The one positive exception is that he was able to pull off the upset of a ranked team while Dooley's group missed out due to an inability to count (and the officials not knowing the substitution rule).On the negative side for Jones compared to Dooley is that Dooley finished 6-6 and it does not look as if this year's Vols are going to make it. Vandy is better and the Vols are dispirited. UK has a mobile QB and, frankly, that is about all that is needed to beat the Vols.

I remember the same upbeat and hopeful words about Dooley that I am hearing about Jones. Granted the commitment list looks good on paper, but: 1) no one is signed yet, and 2) we do not know how much help any one of them will be (remember all those great recruits of Kiffin? I do. How much help were they?)

I wish Jones well, and hope for the best, but I am guarding my feelings because I have had my heart broken (so to speak) before.

wilk58 writes:

in response to oldster:

Very accurate post.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to oldster:

Worried me there for a minute. Thought you weren't going to spew your usual garbage. You are a hopelessly pathetic attention craving clown. And if you take this as a personal attack, then I have accomplished my goal. I will not argue this point with you as I and others know I'm right. We will beat candy and you shall disappear. And with that I bid you a good day. .. ALL VOL... ALL THE TIME

gc_scvol writes:

Mr. Adams I would disagree with one point you made in your article and that would be that That team in Nashville is one of the two easiest games on our schedule. We played much easier teams in a couple of game this year. As much as I hate to admit it That guy has That team in Nashville playing better than they used to.

threehundredbowler writes:

Adams said the easiest games on their SEC schedule.Read and comperhend.Adams is right once again.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to threehundredbowler:

Thanks for correcting me. My apologies, and might I say, i feel honored that you drug a name from JUNE 5,2007 to correct me. Familiar date?

OrangePride writes:

in response to oldster:

I can understand your hesitancy to jump into the orangeaide pit whole heartedly after the last three games. We are all feeling down and, to use your word, a little dispirited at this point. But make no mistake, despite any parallels you can draw over the W-L record, Jones is NOT Dooley...not even close. We have not seen the sideline moping, not had teams refusing to compete in the fourth quarter, not had field disorganization and player confusion in every game, and not had our players thrown under the bus after a loss. I also disagree that Vandy has such a "mobile quarterback" that it has "all it needs." He ain't that mobile and he ain't all that fearsome in the passing game. Nor is this an Auburn-like run game in the Vandy stable. For those reasons, I am not willing to throw in the towel. Guarded feelings? Eh...I get that. But go out and yell like h**l for our Vols anyway. We've got nothing to lose and a season to gain. GO VOLS!

in response to OrangePride:

I agree. Everything you said about the sideline demeanor and other visible morale indicators are night-and-day better under CBJ than they were under Dooley. Not only are CBJ's recruits not bailing, more seem to be buying what he is selling all the time. We couldn't really say that about, well, ANY of Dooley's classes. If present trends hold, by NSD '14, he will be about half-way toward a full signing class for NSD '15. Better days are coming! GBO!!! GO CBJ!!!

Theo writes:

Uh yea? It doesn't really matter UNLESS YOU LIVE IN NASHVILLE! What a miserable year. Revenge would be so sweet and make sure the earth is back on the correct axis.