Tennessee to wear 'Smokey' gray uniforms for final home game against Vanderbilt

Tennessee wide receiver Pig Howard (2) is pulled down by Georgia strong safety Corey Moore (39) as Tennessee wide receiver Marquez North (8) looks on during the second half at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

Tennessee will don its all-gray uniforms on Saturday when the Vols play Vanderbilt in the final regular season home game.

The Vols wore the uniforms -- officially dubbed "Smokey gray" -- on Oct. 5 in an overtime loss to Georgia.

Coach Butch Jones, who announced the news on Tuesday night, said seniors wanted to bring the uniforms back for a second game.

"It was their decision," he said.

The Vols (4-6, 1-5 SEC) play the Commodores (6-4, 3-4) at 7 p.m. on Saturday at Neyland Stadium (TV: ESPN2). Tennessee must win its final two games to become bowl eligible.

Originally the Vols planned to wear the gray only once per season, but Jones said he could envision the uniforms becoming a more "standard" feature of the Vols' jersey rotation.

Jones said the uniform change was not "a big deal," and repeated what he said in October: "Uniforms don't win games."

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

TNlogfire writes:

psychovol2 writes:

Yes the second time is the charm...

psychovol2 writes:

in response to psychovol2:

Yes the second time is the charm...

I figured I'd reply to myself since I've never seen this done, after all my name is psycho. Just wanted to make sure no one thought I was being sarcastic. I wasn't. I like that CBJ takes chances and this is a bold move with this rabid fan base and I include myself in that.

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

What about orange jerseys and gray pants? I like the gray uni but I am not excited about it becoming a 'standard feature' in the rotation.

Vol1968 writes:

how you look does not matter if you lose, so just focus on playing, not flinching, and just win

southernbelle79 writes:

I love these uniforms, and I love the Vols. I especially love the senior players who have persevered through so much adversity. They may not be headed for the NFL, but they will succeed in life. I am so glad they have had Butch Jones for their senior year.

oldster writes:

I saw a drawing of a gray helmet with the Orange power T on it which would really make this uniform look great. I am old, as my handle would suggest and, as a result, a lover of tradition, but sartorial excellence trumps tradition every time.

Snapshot writes:

I still think they need a different helmet with the gray uniform. A chrome with orange T and stripe would look much better than the white helmet.

Oh well, as long as they beat vandy it doesn't really matter! GBO

stevefromjasper writes:

Whatever. The "once per season" idea certainly lasted a long time. Please make sure the rap music starts 60 minutes before kickoff and blares at every time out until halftime. I just hope it doesn't rain.

tntuba#225866 writes:

I personally liked the all black better than the Grey. But at the end of the day...it's all about the players. I HATE, and I do mean HAATTTEE, the music they blast during pregame warmups but that music isn't for me, it's for the players. So as long as they win, I don't care what they wear. Part of me says this team hasn't earned, on the field, the "right" to wear a special uniform. But then I think about this Sr. Class. These Srs deserve whatever they want on Saturday. They have been through more than any other group to don the Orange and White...and if on the day they play their last game in Neyland Stadium they would rather wear "Smokey Grey" then so be it.

Go Vols.

SmokeysPup writes:

If the seniors want it, that's fine, but the VOLS are the BIG ORANGE. I know I would want to run through the T my last time wearing an orange jersey. Maybe all orange?

bUTch__please writes:

Well..maybe the Seniors see the smokey being about giving back to the team...setting a new path. They've been through he!! and not quite back yet. As fans we've watched and been disappointed...as players they've busted @ss for four years..seen dreams and desires come and go..and are now digging through another year for a new staff that can only do so much.

Just because, as Adams has and will again point out, this is the least successful class...in no way, shape or form should the Volunteer Nation allow them for one minute to feel like the least loved.
Them's our boys..if they want gray..so be it.

Slats writes:

If the players want to wear the uniforms they should be worn. I am sure BJ has consulted with the players regarding this issue!

I love the Vols and will be cheering them on regardless of what they chose to wear!!

The Seniors on this team deserve out Love, Respect, and Support! Thank you Young Men!!

Tennman78 writes:

I am good with the Gray uniforms. GBO - Put it on Vandy.

poppatock writes:

in response to Tao_of_Tennessee:

Like the idea of Orange pants/jerseys and Gray jersey/pants.

Just beat down the 'dores.

pingkr62 writes:

I don't have a problem with the Gray uniforms, but I think they should have kept it a secret until game time. G.B.O.!!!

UTANDNOBAMA writes:

Hide the women and children when Vandy comes to town. Literally.

psychovol2 writes:

in response to oldster:

Agreed. I like the idea of a flat gray helmet with the standard orange features to match the unis.