Summitt Plaza honors legend

Players, fans attend ceremony in praise of Pat Summitt

MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Michael Patrick

MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL Pat and Tyler Summitt, center, pose with current and former Lady Vol players after the unveiling of a sculpture of Summitt at the corner of Lake Loudoun Boulevard and Phillip Fulmer Way on Friday.

A crowd of more than 1,000 comes out for a ceremony unveiling Summitt Plaza at Neyland Stadium, which includes a statue of the legendary coach.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Typical_WillfullyIgnorant_Idiotic_ET_RWNJ writes:

That's nice and UT ought to be honoring her dedication and accomplishment. In fact, she ought to have the exact same treatment at UT that University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa affords Paul Bear Bryant. There's not just a statue of him but an entire museum around his coaching career (my favorite part is his old office and all the original furniture that was in it).

BUT, this is one in a very long series of contemporary naming ceremonies for athletics at UT.

Will UT ever name anything on campus for someone of scientific, academic, or research accomplishment in the modern day? Outside of Hodges Library and the accomplishment of John C. Hodges (and the library was dedicated in the late 80's) I can't think of anything they've named for someone on the academic side of the house. Most everything on campus seems to be named for dead governors, dead or soon to be dead university presidents, athletes and athletic supporters (I almost typed athletic donors but felt this was way more fitting), and a handful of other donors like McClung and Haslam.

You know, highly acclaimed and well respected universities in other parts of the country strike a balance and honor academic/scientific/research accomplishments too. About the only examples of Southern universities that I can think of that do this are the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill and UVA which are two of the finest public universities in the country.

Is it that UT just doesn't have anyone other than a single person (Bill Bass) that rises to the level of accomplishment to deserve such an honor (which wouldn't surprise me in the least given the screwed up priorities of UT and Tennessee) or is it that they aren't trying hard enough to call it out?

crob7x writes:

I tried to comment before, but something is messed up. Here we go again.

Hodges Library was completed in 1969. It was designed for expansion which was underway during the Jackson's Victory Tour at Neyland Stadium in 1984.

For other recent named buildings ...

Typical_WillfullyIgnorant_Idiotic_ET_RWNJ writes:

in response to crob7x:

I tried to comment before, but something is messed up. Here we go again.

For other recent named buildings ...

And like I said before, the ORIGINAL Hodges library was built in 1969. Every bit of it was razed except for the hole in the ground and the CURRENT Hodges library was built and then finished and rededicated in 1987.

GoodOldBoy writes:

in response to Typical_WillfullyIgnorant_Idiotic_ET_RWNJ:

You’re just being modest Anthony. You, as a highly regarded, accomplished UT graduate are well on your way to having a toilet stall in one of the West Stand men’s room named after you. It will be glorious; 'Howard’s Privy'!

atnvol#283282 writes:

in response to Typical_WillfullyIgnorant_Idiotic_ET_RWNJ:

How about Johnny Knoxville? Would he suit you Anthony.....Jackbutt.

crob7x writes:

in response to Typical_WillfullyIgnorant_Idiotic_ET_RWNJ:

The only thing you said before was "... the library was dedicated in the late 80's ..."

My wife and I stood on the second floor of the original library footprint catching some of the sound of the Jacksons. It was most assuredly not reduced to a hole in the ground. It was expanded up and out. I was part of the construction team making it happen.

You are either seriously misinformed or stubbornly stupid. Your choice.

Typical_WillfullyIgnorant_Idiotic_ET_RWNJ writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

How about Johnny Knoxville? Would he suit you Anthony.....Jackbutt.

I didn't know Johnny Knoxville was on the faculty at UT. An adjunct appointment perhaps?

Whether it suits me isn't the point.

But, since you brought it up, name a more famous or accomplished Knoxvillian who's alive today besides Johnny Knoxville. Dolly Parton maybe (and that's a little bit of a stretch across the county line)? Not easy huh.

So I guess all those other universities can take their nobel laureates, presidents, astronauts, Fortune 500 CEOs, Supreme Court justices, National Academies members, and stuff 'em cause Knoxville's got Johnny and Dolly!

Typical_WillfullyIgnorant_Idiotic_ET_RWNJ writes:

in response to GoodOldBoy:

Then I guess you and I have sunk pretty damx low in life.

I'm apparently getting a toilet named after me and you're spending all your time stalking the person getting the toilet named after him.

So I guess it's still better to be me, than the little person who constantly follows me on here.

crob7x writes:

in response to Typical_WillfullyIgnorant_Idiotic_ET_RWNJ:

Then I guess you and I have sunk pretty damx low in life.

For someone who won't admit he's wrong, that's setting the bar pretty low.

Typical_WillfullyIgnorant_Idiotic_ET_RWNJ writes:

in response to crob7x:

For someone who won't admit he's wrong, that's setting the bar pretty low.

what was I wrong about? I said the library was dedicated in 1987 and it was, rededicated that is. I don't much respond to the little fact checking nimrods on here who make it their life's contribution to split hairs.