Vanderbilt stuns Tennessee on late touchdown, 14-10

Vanderbilt tight end Dillon van der Wal (89) celebrates with teammate and fans after defeating Tennessee 14-10 of an NCAA college football game on Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013, in Knoxville, Tenn.  (AP Photo/Mark Zaleski)

Vanderbilt tight end Dillon van der Wal (89) celebrates with teammate and fans after defeating Tennessee 14-10 of an NCAA college football game on Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013, in Knoxville, Tenn. (AP Photo/Mark Zaleski)

Tennessee fans can go ahead and make their New Year’s Eve plans. There won’t be a bowl game to complicate things.

Patton Robinette, a graduate of Maryville High School, scored on a 5-yard run with 16 seconds to play Saturday night, lifting Vanderbilt to a 14-10 win over the Vols on Senior Night.

A stunned Neyland Stadium crowd of 97,223 watched the Commodores (7-4, 4-4 SEC) drive 92 yards in 12 plays for the go-ahead touchdown.

Tennessee (4-7, 1-6) is eliminated from bowl consideration with a season-ending game left at Kentucky.

But freshman quarterback Joshua Dobbs was ineffective. He finished 11-of-19 passing for 53 yards, 37 of which came on two last-gasp completions after the Vandy touchdown.

Video from YouTube

Tennessee’s offense generated only 237 yards of offense and one touchown, a 5-yard Rajion Neal run in the second quarter.

Vandy now has a two-game winning streak against UT for the first time since the 1920s.

The 10-7 lead was immediately in jeopardy when Vandy’s Darrius Sims returned the ensuing kickoff 71 yards to the UT 26.

But the defense came up with its fourth turnover of the night when DeVaughn Swafford stripped Robinette and Jacques Smith recovered the fumble at the 16.

Tennessee’s offense began to have modest success on the ground but the third quarter ended 10-7.

The Vols then squandered a chance to get some breathing room.

On the second play of the fourth quarter, Dobbs scored on a 13-yard keeper. But the play was nullified by an illegal block on Alton “Pig” Howard.

Butch Jones talks after UT's 14-10 loss to Vanderbilt

None

Eventually, Palardy lined up a 40-yard field goal but it was a fake. His pass was intercepted by Vandy’s Paris Head and Tennessee came away empty.

Another series of Tennessee misadventures gave the Commodores a golden opportunity with a possession starting at the UT 29. The defense hung tough and Carey Spear was short on a 42-yard field goal with 7:15 left.

Turnovers dictated the first half — three by the Commodores and two by Tennessee.

Kenny Ladler intercepted Dobbs’ first pass of the night. Vandy took over at its own 39.

Eleven plays later, Jerron Seymour scored on a 3-yard run for a 7-0 Commodore lead.

Robinette was critical to Vandy’s scoring drive, twice coming off the bench to convert third downs with quarterback runs.

Brian Randolph’s interception and 41-yard return finally accomplished what Tennessee’s offense had not: creating a scoring threat.

The Vols had first down at the Vandy 12, but lost five yards in three downs. Then Palardy’s 33-yard field-goal try was partially blocked.

It was only moments, though, before the Vols’ defense got the ball back.

A.J. Johnson recovered a Brian Kimbrow fumble at the Tennessee 47. A 14-yard run by Howard finally gave the offense a spark.

Neal ran 11 yards and fumbled but teammate Jacob Carter recovered. UT had a first down at the Vandy 16.

Dobbs scrambled for 11 and Neal scored from the 5 on the first play of the second quarter to make it 7-7.

Dobbs was soon intercepted again, by Head at the UT 39. The ‘Dores were on the verge of a go-ahead score when Jordan Matthews fumbled at the 1 after a 24-yard reception.

The initial ruling was a catch to set up first-and-goal. A review overturned the call, and Dontavis’ Sapp recovery allowed the Vols to dodge a bullet.

An exchange of punts followed and even though Vandy dominated statistically, 165 yards to 86, the half ended 7-7.

Hood says overturned spot another chapter in hard times for Vols’ seniors

John Adams: Mistakes and all, Commodores superior to Vols

Vanderbilt stuns Tennessee on late touchdown, 14-10

After Marquez North goes down, so does Vols' passing attack

Notebook: Butch Jones opts for fake that falls short

Related Stories

jandjhome#228397 writes:

We got what we deserved tonight folks.

DandridgeVol writes:

I am speechless. What a stunner.

UncleDD writes:

And my 71-year-old Momma is throwing everything she can find at the TV as Vanderbilt shows Tennessee they are the better team once again..

Esau writes:

Tough times folks, very tough times.

atnvol#283282 writes:

Coaches and team have went steadily downhill in 2nd half of season. After feeling so good about the new staff early in the season, 2nd half of the season leaves you shaking your head. I keep hearing how smart Josh Dobbs is but so far he has not transfered that to the field. Dobbs throws the ball very poorly compared to other true freshmen QB's like Ainge and Clausen. Josh Smith could not catch a cold....he may have the best hands in practice but he sure does not on Saturdays. The game was decided on TN's last series before the Vandy scoring drive at the end. We had it 3rd and 1 and we run into the teeth of the Vandy defense and lose 3 yards.....a first down there probably cinches the game. Offensive coordinators playcalling at crucial game stages just seems unimaginetive....I cannot bear the thoughts of losing to Kentucky with a lifeless team.

atnvol#283282 writes:

Oh, btw, burn those dame smoky grays.....

towmater writes:

in response to jandjhome#228397:

We got what we deserved tonight folks.

You are correct. No offense. All we had to do was make a first down when it was 3rd and 2. Game would have been over. When you have less than touchdown lead, can't give ball back to opponent with 4 minutes left to play. Same thing happened against Georgia and we lost that one, too.

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

I feel bad for the seniors.

I bet somebody will offer some big bucks to Franklin to think about this year.

Purple_at_Heart writes:

You could just see Vandy winning at the end. It was in the air. Love the new coach but we're so far down it will take ten years to recover at this rate. There goes recruiting.

atnvol#283282 writes:

I guess there is always one thing that we can count on now....that Vanderbilt kicks the sheet out of Tennessee.

Caneoverthere writes:

This one really hurts.

steve.yow#1428902 writes:

why didn't we go after james franklin last year. the guy coached circles around our staff. our guys made Les Miles look like Nick Saban tonight. embarrassing - they should give back their pay checks

steve.yow#1428902 writes:

in response to Purple_at_Heart:

not trying to be a smart arse - but tell me why you love the coach? we are 4-7, we just lost to Vandy again. we faked a field goal in a 3 point game on 4th and 19 - not 4th and 5 but 4th and 19. Do you know how low the percentages are that you get 19 yards even if the fake is successful???

sagreen#1422658 writes:

LOOK AROUND KNOXVILLE FOR A QUARTERBACK or in the
student body

allvol8 writes:

I think it showed recruits they will likely get to start... I can't help but wonder if the outcome would have been different if Worley played tonite.. ( yes I know about ifs and frogs ) I never did see him run backwards to lose 16 yds. this yr..

woody45#537767 writes:

Lousy play by the "highly touted" offensive line. In fact, they are "offensive!!! I guess we'll have to wait 'til next year.

underthehill writes:

Game could have gone either way..tough loss..I do hope Vol recruiting class holds..it is obvious there is a lot of playing time available for them..

OrangeVol4Life writes:

Was at the game tonight. Very disappointed in the offense. The front line was ineffective for almost the entire night. This team peaked with South Carolina win and down hill from there. Not the way you want to finish the season. I've been to many games and this one made my top five worst performances of any UT team. Oh, I also agree - burn those 0-2 smokey jerseys. At least we can look good when not playing good. One more thing - 15 yards passing at halftime. What a joke!

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

I will take Tennessee and even versus Vandy ever year for the next ten years for any amount of money you want to wager.

oldster writes:

Is Josh Dobbs able to play receiver? He sure cannot play QB. If he does not move to receiver or transfer, all he is going to do is eat up a scholarship. Of course, UT has about 80 of those on the team.

BTW: I keep hearing about how much better the new coaching staff is. Sorry, guys, but I do not see it on the field. They beat one good team thanks to the opposing coach being senile and two fantastic, fluke catches, but their true stripes have shown up since.

FWBVol writes:

A lot of people are blaming the loss on the offensive line, but as an old lineman in high school, I'm not buying it. After the first couple of series, when the line had a chance to make some adjustments to the stunting the Vandy defense was doing, we ran the ball pretty well. And say what you will, but when if you can't throw the ball worth a penny, the defense is going to bring more men in the box than the offensive line can block.

I don't know how much North's injury hurt the passing game, but not having him in there had to hurt some.

I think Butch Jones is still the right man for the job. And I won't blame him for not doing as well as any of us would have hoped in the most brutal schedule I can remember in my 45 years of following Tennessee football.

Love him or hate him, and I know he left early, Tyler Bray could have gotten the ball down field, but I don't know if he would have faired better with the group of receivers we have.

I do question the decision on the fake field goal, but even then, Palardy didn't seem to be at full leg strength tonight. His kickoffs were consistently short so maybe Jones knew something that swayed his decision.

I also think he should have gone for the first down on the last drive. For the most part Neal had run well and if we make a first down at that point we likely wrap up the win.

I kept hoping that as Dobbs was struggling that Peterman would have been given a chance. I know he didn't look very good against Florida, but when we were having trouble throwing the downfield I would like to see every available option inserted into the equation.
Finally, I don't know if Vandy made the first down on the spot that was overturned with 42 seconds left in the game, but there is no way in the world the official in the booth should have overturned the play based on the shots ESPN was showing. Once the QB got into the middle of the body mass you couldn't see if the ball was at his shoulders or at his waist. If it was around his upper body it might have been a first down. But if it was around his waist there's no way it was a first down.

TommyJack writes:

So if steady improvement by players and coaches is the measure, does anyone think Dobbs has improved. This was his worst game. Against a lousy team. I don't see it. The QB job should be up for grabs. Of course then there's the play calling….

wilk58 writes:

Is there any question why Worley was playing.

fannotsheep writes:

Karma is a b!+¢h and a cruel and heartless one at that. How many times does Tennessee have to lose a game they had just won before karma decides to move on to another program? It's really amazing.

Anyway, I will say it again: Now is the time for patience. If you start turning against the coach, demanding quick fixes to a problem that took almost a decade to make, we will definitely be in the same place three years from now. If Jones can hold this recruiting class together and get signatures from the verbal commitments, better days will follow. It will take time. They will probably be just as bad a football team next year. But maybe the next year they will be a little better, then maybe a lot better soon after that.

Or we can all start demanding change, reminding everyone how we as fans deserve so much better than this, blah, blah blah. And karma and bad football will become permanent residents of Rocky Top. It's your call.

ThirdCreek writes:

Tough loss. Not sure how much is on Jones and his new coaching staff or on the lack of recruiting by Dooley which left Jones a team short on talent.

Next year with two recruiting classes under his belt we will see how good of a coach Jones really is.

By comparison Kiffin was 4-4 in SEC play in his first and only year, 2009, while Dooley was 3-5 in SEC play his first year. Kiffin had a winning regular season record while Dooley had 6-6 record but both of these first year squads went to bowl games.

Even if the Vols this year finished out 6-6 they would have gone to a third tier bowl which probably would not get many fans excited. It would be like rewarding your kid for getting all Cs on his or her report card.

cltvol writes:

one more game to watch and then I can concentrate on the Lifetime Christmas movies

fannotsheep writes:

Oh by the way, hats off to Patton Robinette. The young man is a tough son of a gun and a winner. He could have sulked and pouted after his fumble nearly cost his team the game. Instead he got mad and dug deep and won it for them.

Of course he will get a fantastic education at Vanderbilt and might not have considered UT if more interest had been shown by the Vols. But that's the kind of young man you want on your team. And there's been some great players at Alcoa and Maryville that seem to always get overlooked by Tennessee. Not to mention the talent at Fulton right now. Sometimes homegrown guys care more about the team instead of just their own future.

Just sayin'

ThirdCreek writes:

I just checked and if the Vols go 4-8 it will be the worst team since 1909 by percentage. A 104 year old record will be broken.

fannotsheep writes:

in response to ThirdCreek:

All of this is the result of four coaches in six years. The downhill started when Cutcliffe went to Ole Miss and then Duke -- and Fulmer couldn't keep it between the ditches without him.

Kiffin cleaned house, then recruited a bunch of guys who cared about him and Coach O and not about Tennessee. Most of them bailed when he did, and Dooley inherited a roster that looked like a school trying to start a new football program from scratch.

Dooley didn't seem to be a capable head coach, but I really don't know how many good coaches would have done a whole lot better. Either way, he is gone and now we have coach number four since 2008. If this guy proves a bad hire we may not live long enough to see UT back on top. The recruits seem to love him. That's enough for me right now to say let's be patient and not start throwing blame around. Believe it or not, it can get worse.

wilk58 writes:

There was a lot of talk the last two weeks of improvement not showing up in the "W" column. Last night I sure did not see it.

I will admit since the SC game my opinion of Worley's play has gone up significantly. I want to think this slide is the result of his injury.

While level of competition has to come into play this team has looke really bad on just the basics of football.

southernbelle79 writes:

Oh geez, folks. We all knew going into this season it was going to be ugly. CBJ deserves 2 more years to put his players and his game into place.

The fake field goal didn't matter in the outcome of the game. Even if we had made it, we still would have lost by one.

midroadrider writes:

It's true that many of us knew this staff was dealing with very limited amount of weapons to get through this difficult schedule and hoped for 6-6 at best. The worry now is the multiple miscues, questionable game mgmt issues. And exactly how is it that their touted O line turned out several mediocre gms. Hopefully once they are working with better overall talent, depth, speed, etc. these puzzling issues will be greatly reduced because if not then we're going to continue to suffer the decade+ frustration of frequently getting outcoached. Something I'm absolutely sick of.

oldster writes:

in response to cltvol:

You must be a glutton for punishment. I could not be paid enough to watch one more Vol football game. In fact, I am not even going to listen to my, heretofore, favorite radio station, the Sports Animal, until football season is over. I will quit again when they start talking recruiting, spring football, and then, next season. I have been kicked in the gut enough by this bunch. Roll Tide.

underthehill writes:

in response to oldster:

oldster..my guess is you'll quit until game time and just by chance you'll happen to turn to the wrong channel and the Vols will be on..and you won't be man enough to get on here and admit you are a VFL..I ain't ever gonna quit being critical when I don't like what I see..but more than likely I ain't gonna quit looking..say it ain't so..

SummerfieldVol writes:

Let me throw a possible scheme at you. CBJ wanted to red shirt Dobbs and Ferguson. When Worley got hurt he had no choice but to play one of the two. Being the season is almost over he choose the lesser of the two. Now comes 2014 he has the QB he wanted to be his QB for 2014 with a years experience learning the plays and coaching time. Plus he has 4 year of playing time left. He knows Worley will not be the QB and he know Dobbs can not play QB, but he did not want to lose the extra year of playing time for Riley Ferguson. 2014 will be a rebuilding year especially the offensive line. What do you THINK?

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Summerfieldfieldvol you may have something

bUTch__please writes:

in response to SummerfieldVol:

I just think they felt Dobbs is more effective running and assumed he would pull it down far more than he has. They probably assumed also that he would learn to throw the ball away instead of forcing. I can't remember a single pass he's thrown over the sideline, he's as risky as Bray with none of the arm strength. Speaking of arm strength, Dobbs has struggled with the long ball since play one.

My guess is they went with mobility between two equally unprepared Freshmen and by the time all the other liabilities ( including the game being way too fast ) of Dobbs proved themselves...it was just too late. Caught in a box with no way out.

ivytenor#1424686 writes:

We got jobbed. There was no indisputable video evidence. The ball could not be seen.

cltvol writes: