John Adams: Mistakes and all, Commodores superior to Vols

John Adams
Tennessee placekicker Michael Palardy (1) after missing a field goal during the first half against Vanderbilt at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville on Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

Vanderbilt at its worst is better than Tennessee.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Related Stories

wwaltwilliams#326927 writes:

So this is what a football team looks like that represents a top 25 research institution?

Oh wait ... that's not true. Duke is in the ACC Championship Game and Stanford is having yet another good year. Even Harvard vs. Yale was a better game to watch than UT's offensive performance against Vanderbilt.

Of course, UT is no where close to being a top 25 research institution either ... I'd say the university and the football team are about equal in their distance between excellence and mediocrity.

It's hard to believe that UT can spend this much annually on a football program and produce a product that performs this poorly for so many years in a row ... the only word to describe it is embarrassing.

Not sure what had gone wrong, but the fans and alumni supporting this program deserve better. The true is, they have not come close to getting their money's worth for nearly a decade now.

I think the fans and the alumni have done their part. It's time for the university to get it in gear and put a product on the field worthy of the financial and fan support they receive.

Thank-you Jimmy Cheek for leading us into the bowels of the SEC.

robert#1417579 writes:

Adams is right on target. Just a horribly coached and horribly played game. Tennessee is worse today than they were in September (with the exception of running back) and coaching has a lot to do with that. Just a totally pathetic season from a pathetic team.

olozbal#646632 writes:

We've just got no players. I think we have a good dedicated coach in for the long haul, but it's so blindingly obvious how bad we've sunk talent wise. I didn't think it was this bad, but it is. And frankly I know he's a freshman but Dobbs may not be our guy either. I thought the Ainge/Schaffer years when they played as freshman both looked better.

Final_Exam writes:

A Men, a 71 Grad.

Butch's calling looks a lot like the "Dooly of old." That defense coordinator reels of Sunseri.

Goodgriefcharliebrown writes:

LOL

Tennball2 writes:

"But the official review correctly reversed the spot, which was about a yard short of where Samuel’s plunge left him at the Tennessee 33."

John Adams seems so sure in his comments when the ruling on the field was the runner was short. From the replays his helmet definitely was forward but I could not see the ball leave his hip. I certainly did not see enough to overturn the call as the line judge was in good position and cameras must shoot on an angle. Either way, Vanderbilt did not look superior to Tennessee yesterday. Both teams had a very poor day and had one call not been reversed, Vandy would have gone home with a loss.

Adams seems to relish in the difficulties of our team. These seniors have gone through so much in support of our university and community, I see no reason why Adams needs to rub their noses in this loss. His comments, and those above, will only serve to have our recruits question why they should come to Knoxville. I do see improvement in this team and unfortunately we are developing a true freshman quarterback. I support this team and plan to head to Lexington Saturday in support even if they are not going to a bowl.

As far as wwaltwilliams#326927 comments on a Top 25 research university, the College of Engineering is closing in on achieving the goal. The fans need to continue supporting this team and the University of Tennessee.

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

My second favorite team won yesterday. My second favorite team changes every Saturday and yesterday it was Georgia Southern.

The Vols were one play away from beating a team that beat both GA and FL. To draw negative program evaluation conclusions from yesterdays disappointing loss is not wise.

willphill#241787 writes:

in response to wwaltwilliams#326927:

Thank-you Jimmy Cheek for leading us into the bowels of the SEC.

I believe Cheek and the administration have also worked their magic on basketball and the remainder of the sports program.

jmaples54 writes:

most vol fans know this started with mike Hamilton's hire of kiffin (bad) then dooley (worse.) fulmer was going down slowly and painfully, but if Hamilton went all in for cutcliffe, briles, sumlin or malzahn, would we be better off now?

midroadrider writes:

I understand Tn coaching staff working with limited talent, speed, depth, etc, but what I have a hard time fathoming is why Vanderbilt's All American receiver is overlooked repeatedly on the drive that decides the game. That frustrates me to no end. If it's me on that Tn defensive staff I'm doubling Matthews and making someone else beat me. Maybe Vandy wins anyway but playing Matthews straight up and watching him get big plays seems kinda dumb.

mhwhite1#1422673 writes:

If I were a Tennessee verbal commit for next year, after watching Jones and his staff coach the Vols to a worse performance than the week before for the past 6 weeks, I'd RUN to another school...and that includes VANDY. Recruiting and talking big are one thing...coaching is another and Jones and his staff just gave us all a preview of their skills and poor judgement. Mark my words...he'll be gone in 4 or 5 years after he replaces his staff and we all suffer through more humiliating seasons. All of you IDIOTS who thought it a good idea to fire Fulmer...you're getting just what you deserve. Thanks Mike Hamilton for reducing our football program to a laughing stock. Oh and by the way, get RID of those stupid, ugly, sickening GREY uniforms. This is TENNESSEE not Oregon. Worn them twice...lost both times.

TommyJack writes:

Got no beef with what Adams wrote.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

Got no beef with his comments, either. He obviously was dead wrong with his meant-to-be funny bit the other day about the gray uniforms. Seems they did not add much to the night. Put some bodies in the old Orange and White, position them to make some plays and leave the funky stuff for Oregon. To the comments that "players enjoy the new look," I respond, "play like you have a clue, win a few games, and we might consider your suggestions." Until then....

alaskavol writes:

The further we get from Fulmer's coaching and the players he brought up, the worse we get.

brewlocal writes:

3rd and 1, Choke. That's bad. Snapping the ball with 15 seconds on the play clock repeatedly when you are trying to run the clock down is criminal negligence on the coaches part.

I can live with the zone read offense if we have to. But at the end of the day when it is time to put a team away all you have to do is watch how Alabama does it to see how it is supposed to be done. They go in the huddle and call a play, they walk to the line with about 15 seconds on the play clock, they adjust accordingly and they snap the ball with about 2 seconds left. It's like Saban says, its a process. We have the lead and need to burn the clock to secure the win and we have no process for that.

I am sure that offensive line is full of good guys who will make lots of money as pros. But they should go down in history as the guys who spent 4 years coming up short on 3-1 or 4-1.

Man it is hard work being a Vol fan.

gohiking2#509686 writes:

The unexplained and repeated errors by our special teams, penalties, blown defensive coverage, and under performing offensive line make it very difficult to be patient while we hear the slogan brick-by-brick. I knew the talent level had dropped in comparison to other SEC schools, but I had no idea it was this bad. I hoped we could start the climb out of the lower 3rd of the SEC this year. Beating Vandy and Kentucky is a must first-step. Losing to Vandy at home in a sloppy game by both teams is totally unacceptable. I hope Coach Jones and staff can turn this mess around soon. As with most Vol fans, I look forward to the day UT is relevant again in football.

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

What is embarrassing to me are some of these posts. UT was one play away from beating a team that beat both UF and UG, with a freshman QB, who was 3rd or 4th on depth chart at the start of the season.

UT fans need to learn to accept some disappointment and pain in life and not let it impair their judgment. We have the exact same record as the school in Gainesville that is down to their 3-4 QB and I wager that at the end of the year our record will be better.

At the start of the year I was looking on in wonderment about the expectations for this year after we lost 70% of our offensive production skill players to the NFL.

This was not your grandfather's Vandy team. We were not even in the game with them last year, with three guys now drawing NFL paychecks. I think the coaching staff has done a heck of a job this year. Go home and lick your wounds, finish strong against UK, and try again next year.

utbaby#215635 writes:

in response to jmaples54:

Does anyone remember that Kiffen ran off Taj Boyd? He was coming to UT until Kiffen told him he didn't fit and brought in Bray instead. Just curious where the program would be without Kiffen and with Taj Boyd as a senior this year. Agree the coaching in this game was horrible. If coaches didn't trust Dobbs to throw the ball in the 2nd half then take him out of the game. He didn't learn a thing in the 2nd half and we still lost. Vandy wasn't afraid the throw the ball when they needed to and that was the difference in the game.