Butch Jones: Cam Sutton received death threat after Vandy loss

Vanderbilt wide receiver Jordan Matthews (87) pulls in a pass over Tennessee defensive back Cameron Sutton (23) during the fourth quarter against Vanderbilt at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville on Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013.  Vanderbilt won 14-10.   Sutton received a death threat after the game.  (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

Vanderbilt wide receiver Jordan Matthews (87) pulls in a pass over Tennessee defensive back Cameron Sutton (23) during the fourth quarter against Vanderbilt at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville on Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013. Vanderbilt won 14-10. Sutton received a death threat after the game. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Butch Jones joked that he was glad he didn’t need a bullet-proof vest to speak to the Knoxville Quarterback Club on Monday.

But Tennessee’s first-year coach revealed freshman cornerback Cameron Sutton received a death threat after the Vols’ 14-10 loss to Vanderbilt on Saturday night.

Vandy drove 92 yards in the final minutes, including a key pass reception by Jordan Matthews to set up the game-winning touchdown.

Jones did not elaborate on the death threat.

Asked why freshman quarterback Riley Ferguson has not played, Jones said the Vols learned before the Alabama game that Ferguson had a broken tibia bone in his leg.

Jones was also asked about a burgeoning recruiting class that currently stands at 33 commitments, three over the maximum allowed.

“If I can find a way to sign 35,’’ Jones said, “I’m gonna sign ’em. It’ll all work out.’’

He said he expects 14 to 16 early enrollees in January.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

"Cam Sutton received death threat after Vandy loss'
============================================

I hate to say it, but considering some of our ignorant, red-neck peckerwood fan base, I'm not surprised.

namici#1422384 writes:

Sad thing is...you can't just ignore something like that b/c there are definitely whackos out there. And, you can't spend your time thinking about it and letting something like that get in your head to affect your game.

Volborn writes:

yes…Cam is one of our best and most consistent players on defense. That sounds about right for some of our ignorant fans!

Players didn't lose that game, coaches did. I understand the pace of a hurry up offense, but when you have a 10-7 lead with 6 minutes to go, you don't snap the ball with 20 seconds on the play clock. Time management alone wins the game. Also not selling out to get pressure on the QB on 3rd and 7 was another bad move. And the fake FG? I didn't think Palardy was going to make it. I was hoping they would try to punt it inside the 5 and play defense.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

"Cam Sutton received death threat after Vandy loss'
============================================

volnsc writes:

Ignorant, stupid, mountain peckerwoods. I was raised in those mountains and can attest that the people I grew up with would never have stooped to such criminal threats. Cowards, each and everyone.

Actually, after watching the replay of the game and reviewing the stats, it was in fact just as even as the score indicates. Overall, I thought Vandy had the better team and their record indicated as much. I thought the Vols played a great, tough game. Cam wasn't hitting anything through the air so the run game was vital and it came through. For the most part our D stopped the 'Dore's running game and kept the QBs in check. Four plays stood out. The pass that hit Josh Smith in the hands and face that wasn't touched by the defender and fell incomplete. The penalty on Pig that nullified a TD. The long pass at the end that moved Vandy down was just narrowly missed by Sutton. And the fake FG call was just doomed from the start. But Parlady was having the worst nite of the season and may have been hurt. It was a heartbreaking loss but the team overall played great considering everything. I am still behind CBJ and this team all the way. Let's get the win at KY and get this class reeled in. We are on our way back to relevance.

allvol8 writes:

I hope whoever is stupid enough to send death threats realizes they can be committed to a state facility because they are at risk to harm others..

underthehill writes:

in response to volnsc:

Interesting observations..the penalty on Pig came on a great run by Dobbs and could have been the difference in a win or loss..Dobbs showed deceptive speed and running ability on that play..something UT has to have at the qb position..

jakethevolguy writes:

in response to underthehill:

The penalty on Pig was borderline at best. 80% of the time it would not have been called.

allvol8 writes:

in response to jakethevolguy:

I saw a push off not a block in the back

johndavid writes:

in response to allvol8:

I saw a push off not a block in the back

Thats the play that stands out to me. The Vandy player was not going to make the tackle, very soft contact and it looked like the Vandy guy pulled up quickly to change directions and it caught Pig by surprise and he tried to avoid contact. REALLY BAD CALL. CHANGED outcome of the game. I think it is NOT CALLED 95% OF THE TIME!

Directly after that play on a reverse that we stopped we were blocked in the back much worse and right at the ballcarrier and in front of the ref and it wasn't called! Calling the one on us was sorry!