With 1 game left, Butch Jones entrusts Joshua Dobbs to finish season

Ferguson fractured tibia before Alabama game

AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee quarterback Joshua Dobbs scrambles under pressure during the first half against Vanderbilt at Neyland Stadium last Saturday.

Joshua Dobbs will finish his true freshman season as Tennessee’s starting quarterback. Once spring practice begins in a few months, all bets are off.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

underthehill writes:

Dobbs is a talented "young" man..he did not play as well against Vandy as in his past games but the play calling and game plan had a lot to do with it..the lack of decent receivers has even more to do with it ..I have seen only one receiver who might be a SEC level talent..I hope for the sake of UT football..Dobbs has a good Ky game..

magicbyswh#221420 writes:

The coaches cost us the Vandy game. The conservative play cost us the game. The play calls were terrible. I hate to say this but the coaches played not to lose instead of playing to win. When you do this it mostly backfires. As it did in this game. Coaches you got what you deserved in this game.

Volborn writes:

Did anyone ask: "Since we were playing conservative in a close game, why were we not running the play clock down before the snap throughout the 4th quarter?"

sadim13tn#1425307 writes:

FL, GA, Vandy, the three that got away. What a difference that would have made.

oldster writes:

If Jones thinks this kid is talented, he is either talking about some position other than qb, or he does not know qb talent. The kid cannot pass well enough to be a qb at any level higher than say, Carson-Newman. He is better than Peterman, but that is faint praise indeed.

He may be poised under some circumstances, but he certainly was not vs. Vandy. One does not consistently throw the ball short of receivers that are wide open 5 yards downfield unless you are scared. Sorry, CBJ, but saying stuff like this does little to enhance your credibility or knowledge of the game.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to oldster:

It all looks so simple from the arm chair, doesn't it?

underthehill writes:

in response to oldster:

I will take the thoughts of Jones over the lack of football knowledge you exhibit..the kid is talented..Dobbs was not the only player who had a bad game against Vandy..Palardy shanked a punt..does that mean he cost the Vols the game ..

oldster writes:

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

It all looks so simple from the arm chair, doesn't it?

It does and your point is? You see, I tend to think that one should produce when one is being paid $2.5 million a year. I do not see a product that is worth that amount of money. If you do, please hire me to bag your groceries, mow your grass, or some such. I would only charge you $5,000 per hour and I am sure you would be happy with the product you get.

oldster writes:

in response to underthehill:

Do you now? Do you know how much expertise I have? Do you know how it stacks up with Jones'? I would hope that his expertise is greater than mine since he is being paid $2.5 million to exhibit it. My complaint is not that he lacks expertise, simply that he has not exhibited $2.5 million worth of it to this point and, further, that what expertise he has shown makes it seem unlikely that his expertise is worth that much.

I will agree that Palardy reverted to form. I figured he would fall back on his normal excuse and say he had a leg or groin injury, but no, it was the weather. Hmm. The same weather that prevented Palardy from getting his kickoffs inside the 10 was, I am almost positive, was the same weather in which the Vandy kicker kicked the ball 5 yards or more into the end zone every time.

volbald writes:

Our passing game with Dobbs has been a disaster every Saturday. It may be "too conservative" but the Vols better plan on running the entire game against KY with maybe a screen pass or two each quarter - nothing down the field or across the middle. Have Dobbs run at least every 3rd snap. That strategy would have won the Vanderbilt game and may win the KY game. Go Vols!

utfans#211352 writes:

It is not unfair to say Dobbs was terrible. Jones can spin with the best of them probably why he is recruiting so well. He got out coached against Vandy, our talent is as good as Vandy, our confidence is not.

Plasticman85 writes:

in response to oldster:

I'm not thrilled with our offensive game plan vs. Vandy , however, if the average fan can't see the difference in this years team vs. last years team, you need to go back and watch the replays of last season. We had one of the most prolific offenses in UT history last season with 4 players that are now in the NFL, 3 of them at skill positions. This years offense does not have one skill position player that will be in the NFL " next" year. It's obvious this team was just a few players away from going 8-4 or even 9-3. Butch Jones is recruiting better than anytime since Fulmer did in the mid 90's. he will get this train wreck left behind by Dooley turned around. Better players and more speed will fix most of our problems. Give it time!

underthehill writes:

in response to oldster:

How much of that 2.5 mil is it costing you..it is costing me nothing..your observation and complaint that Jones lacks the expertise you appear to think you are qualified to judge is worth the same amount it is costing me..

BJ writes:

Agree with Plasticman 85. Give it time. Coach Jones hasn't even had a full year as coach yet. this is HIS FIRST recuiting class and look at where it is listed on the charts #2 !!!!!! You chair arm Monday morning quarterbacks and coaches need to get a life and start paying attention to the game. Am I disappointed we didn't win more and go to a bowl game this year ya bet cha but i am still pulling for our team and see a bright future ahead and SEC championships i the near future

mostrevd#1340221 writes:

If Dobbs is the answer at QB, we are in for 3 more sad years.

jakethevolguy writes:

Sounds like a lot of the same things that were said about Sabin at Bama after his first year. (lost to La. Tech??) Look how that turned out. GBO!

ModelMaker writes:

in response to oldster:

Jones want's to red shirt Ferguson, Worsley can't go, and thinks Dobbs gives him the best chance to win over Peterman so what do you want Jones to do, tell Dobbs what you just said.

VolFolks writes:

in response to sadim13tn#1425307:

FL, GA, Vandy, the three that got away. What a difference that would have made.

W.Ky: Numerous turnovers on their part in the first half gave us the game.

USA: Stopped a last minute drive with an interception in the end zone.

So. Car.: Won after a miracle catch by North.

What a difference those made or we would a been 1-10. Woulda-coulda-shoulda!!!

I just hope Tennessee can again become a significant player in the SEC East.

oldster writes:

in response to underthehill:

I am paying part of it, as are you. Therefore, I have a right to complain about what I am getting for my money, just as I complain about the quality of the government I am getting. Don't you?

oldster writes:

in response to Plasticman85:

First, I doubt the average fan has watched as much football as I have, or played or coached as much as I have. More importantly, whether I am an average fan or not, I did not see any significant improvement in ANY on the field aspect of the team. Oh, the defense did not rank as low, over all, compared to the rest of the country as last year's team did, but the in the true measurement, the outcome of games, there has been zero improvement. The bottom line is all that matters and it is exactly the same as it was this time last year.

forkball writes:

I hear Peyton won't be available and Coach Jones needs speakers for this year's coaching clinic. Maybe some of you experts should supply him with an upgrade.