John Adams: UT should hope Gators keep Will Muschamp, and Vanderbilt's James Franklin leaves

John Adams
Vanderbilt coach James Franklin, right, gives Florida coach Will Muschamp, left, a pat on the back after Vanderbilt defeated Florida 34-17 in an NCAA college football game Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013, in Gainesville, Fla.  (AP Photo/Phil Sandlin)

Photo by Phil Sandlin, AP2013

Vanderbilt coach James Franklin, right, gives Florida coach Will Muschamp, left, a pat on the back after Vanderbilt defeated Florida 34-17 in an NCAA college football game Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013, in Gainesville, Fla. (AP Photo/Phil Sandlin)

Tennessee’s football program has been marked by one change after another for the past few years.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

rockypop writes:

First of all, James Franklin has been the recipient of some incredible good fortune since arriving at Vanderbilt, courtesy of their schedule. After a mediocre 6-6 (by SEC standards) first year, Vandy looks to go 8-4 in Franklin's next two years. In both 2012 and 2013, Vandy will not have beaten a team except Georgia that had a winning record. Now while Franklin can't be blamed for how the schedule unfolded, he nevertheless benefited from catching several SEC teams at their lowest point in decades - whether by rampant injuries, a serious lack of talent due to coaching changes, bad recruiting, or just bad coaching. I predict he will opt out at the earliest best offer from a bigger school, because this stuff will catch up w/him.

As for Muschamp, I look for Florida to be back big time next season. With all their youth and unbelievable injuries, they haven't had a chance this year. It's way too premature to count Muschamp out. Adams is one of many sheep in the media - crying wolf when it's nothing more than a chipmunk in the henhouse. But, I suppose controversy is good for selling newspapers - or irrelevant websites.

FWBVol writes:

in response to rockypop:

You can talk about the youth and injuries that Florida has had this year all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that Muschamp is in his third year at Florida. That means the majority of players are his recruits that haven't given the Gators enough depth to overcome the injuries.

Muschamp's recruiting base is in the most-talent rich state in the SEC, which should make it easy to reload the talent wagon.

In Muschamp's three years at Florida the Gator offense has yet to finish in the top 100 in the nation. How any Florida coach can survive with those dismal offensive numbers is beyond me.

Living in Florida I know several Gator fans and Florida alum that are ready for a change in Gainesville. Muschamp has yet to show that he has what it takes to win at Florida. I don't think he'll ever win there. That said, I hope you are right and Muschamp is back next year.

TNFaninFL writes:

We should hope and pray that Florida retains Muschamp, I live down here and the comments he makes to the media are incredible, the guy has zero PR skills and says the most stupid things, hopefully this is translating into bad recruiting. The Gator faithful I know don't like him but are afraid if they let him go that it will scare other coaches from wanting to be considered for the HC job. It is a very difficult enviroment for a coach, over the top expectations and no loyalty whatsoever. It is fun to watch them unravel !

magicbyswh#221420 writes:

I don't care how Franklin has done what he has done. Vanderbilt will never be an SEC championship contender and they do not have to be one to be successful. He has done something that Tennessee has not done in the past 3 years. Have a winning record and going bowling. We just wish we could do that now. It is a shame we look forward to a 6-6 season and a lower tier bowl. We would take a lower tier bowl this years and all of us would say it was a successful season. My My how far we have dropped.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

I find it interesting that after John serves up his sarcastic and nothing new evaluations of Tennessee, he now takes on Vanderbilt and Florida as AD, coach agent and forecaster supreme.

I would just think UT could not care less what either school does or does not do. Let their school and fans worry about that. When we are able, we will compete. Until then, let the Nashville and Gainesville commentators worry about the Gators and Commodores.

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

in response to TNFaninFL:

Right on friend. I also live here in Fla.and I can tell you for a fact that of all the real Gator people I know not one of them want "Mushy" to be retained. If the Bull Gators tell Foley to fire him he is gone no if, and's or butts. Me I want the dude to stay forever.

underthehill writes:

I hope Franklin gets an offer from another school he can't refuse...but he may already have one from Vandy since it is a private school and no one knows what he makes...

ThirdCreek writes:

Speaking of recruiting, it seems like I never hear about quality community college transfers to UT as we used to in the past.

Dickattrade writes:

Charlie Strong would jump at the chance to coach at Florida. I personally think he made a mistake by not taking the VOL offer but I will continue to believe Butch will work out even though he may need to reexamine his assistants.
Jimmy Franklin will be lucky if he can just keep his job in Nashville

Tao_of_Tennessee writes:

FSU will start getting their share of FL recruits again and Miami may stabilize to get a cut also. This will cut into the freaky good classes Urban use to get.

I read somewhere that Franklin is getting $3M/year which was a surprise to me. However, it will be hard for a super big time program to lay off of him, and if he believes in himself it will be hard for him not to take it.

bUTch__please writes:

There is still the possibility of a smoking gun for Franklin regarding the text communication with team member after the alleged rape of a coed. "How much do you know and when did you know it?" has been sealed by silence from day 1.

Tricky to stay at Vandy if there are coaches (him or his staff) who had real time knowledge, or worse, offered advice. Also tricky to leap-frog to a bigger program carrying that baggage. Course, at the rate this has drug though Metro, could be another 8 months before anything is disclosed.

firstrowupperdeck writes:

if they switched places everything would be normal.

TommyJack writes:

One way or another, Franklin will be gone. And Vandy will go back to being Vandy.

pingkr62 writes:

In my humble opinion, Muschamp will be fired 12-01-13 after FSU gives them a pounding like they haven't seen in decades, and Franklin will leave soon after. Florida will hire Charlie Strong, and Franklin will have his pick of Texas, USC, Nebraska, Virginia or some other major program. G,B,O,!!!

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

Reading the recent Sports Illustrated made me sick to hear once again how much of an idiot Kiffboy was. Hamilton was a pathetic athletic director that fired a legend with a strong recruiting class coming in.
Bryce Petty stated he loved Coach Fulmer and Tennessee. He always wanted to play for both in the SEC. His recruiter said they would honor his scholarship but Kiffin had no regard for Petty. He then stated he wanted to play for a coach that believed in him and wanted him on the Vols team. Kiffin wanted neither and now Petty is leading the country in passing at Baylor.
A lot like Taj Boyd who the moron (Kiffin) said he would not fit in his offense.
Fulmer had 4 5- star recruits until the Hamilton cowardly move. How is that firing working out for UT now. We still don't have a quarterback and Petty and Boyd could have flushed the loser Bray, the quitter who threw the Kentucky game 2 years ago. If Butch loses Saturday or goes 4-8 next year he will be gone.
Hamilton destroyed athletics especially the cash cow football.
I wish Adams would go away like my subscription!