Jarnell Stokes leads Vols over Wake Forest, 82-63

Tennessee's Jarnell Stokes, left, and teammate Antonio Barton go up to grab a rebound during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game against Xavier in Paradise Island, Bahamas, Friday, Nov. 29, 2013. (AP Photo/Bahamas Visual Services, Tim Aylen)

Photo by Tim Aylen

PARADISE ISLAND, Bahamas – Thirteen minutes passed before Jarnell Stokes scored. He spent the rest of the game making up for lost time.

The junior forward scored 21 points and pulled down 10 rebounds, leading the Tennessee men's basketball team to a 82-63 win against Wake Forest at the Battle 4 Atlantis on Saturday.

The victory clinched a fifth-place finish for UT, which stumbled against UTEP to start the tournament but bounced back with wins against Xavier and the Demon Deacons. Stokes notched a double-double in every game. His 21 points Saturday are a season-high.

Freshman Darius Thompson scored a carrer-high 16 points. Jordan McRae added 10, his lowest point total of the season. Jeronne Maymon didn’t miss a shot, and finished with nine points and five rebounds.

It had been nearly 43 years since these two teams met. They went back and forth early, exchanging the lead four times before UT turned the corner. The Vols (6-2) took a 43-32 lead to halftime and never looked back in the second. UT improved its neutral site record against the Demon Deacons to 1-1.

The Vols fly back to the U.S. on Sunday. They return to the court for a noon game against Tennessee Tech next Saturday at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

VictorKrugerII writes:

Way to bounce back, Vols! The team really manned up and performed the past 2 games. Stokes was rock solid all tournament, Maymon showed some agility today, and Thompson was a star off the bench. The next real test comes against Wichita State in a couple of weeks. Hopefully the team can fix the early game field goal and free throw shooting and win back the naysayers.

JSmith525 writes:

That first game against UTEP upset me to no end! They played like a lazy group the complete game. I was actually surprised when they can out and played tough against Xavier. Todays game was impressive. Considering that Jordan only scored 10 points, the rest of the team stepped it up. Stokes played a great 3 game series. We shall see how the season goes. Will they play like the last two games were played or will they pull another UTEP. I would like to hope they learned a lesson in that game. We shall see!!!!!!!!

magicbyswh#221420 writes:

I want to see Martin have some emotion. The team plays like he coaches SO LAID BACK

no1djkb#278630 writes:

in response to magicbyswh#221420:

You are kidding me right? He should not change who he is because you don't like it.

in response to no1djkb#278630:

I get your point. John Wooden was famous for his laid-back courtside demeanor, but I don't think anybody ever thought his UCLA teams didn't play hard. However, the old saying goes that it is easier to tame a thoroughbred than it is to drive a mule. If the guys can't get themselves up to play hard from the jump strictly out of pride in themselves and respect for the game, I'm not sure a lot of public raving from the coach would help. I DO hope CCM is thorough and pointed in his comments in the huddles and in practice. If the Vols give it everything they've got from the opening tip to the final horn, they can play with anybody. If they DON'T play that way, well....

no1djkb#278630 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

John they need to give you a free subscription just so you will be here to post all the time. You always make good sense. I am so glad you are on here man.
Hey I want to try to bring it like you.
Ok everyone we know Coach Pearl did a lot for this basketball team. Took them places they have never been but he made a mistake and he has to pay for it. As for as Coach Martin, I honestly think he is a good coach. Like any coach it takes the players a few years to buy into the system. Bama was 6 and 6 before their coach got them together. In his second year, they were drilled in their bowl game against Utah.
Coach Martin preaches defense more then Pearl ever did. Defense wins championships and you see how good this team can be if they play the way their coach wants them to play.
I think if Coach Pearl preached defense more, Tennessee would have made it to the final four. Do you remember that play that Michigan State made to win the game. Tennessee allowed that guy to drive the length of the field without being contested. I think a Coach Martin team would make him earn it. Now we know right now you can't say Martin is on Pearl's level. I would never disrespect Coach Pearl like that, but I do think if this team plays hard defensively like the coach wants them to, they have a chance to go pretty deep in the NCAA tournament. I think Martin had the potential to become a better coach than Pearl

in response to no1djkb#278630:

Hey I want to try to bring it like you.

Thanks for the kind words. I always enjoy your posts as well. On another thread, I said that the one thing I wish most to see from CCM is a bit more flexibility in his approach to the game. The new rules limiting contact on defense may force such a change on him. As for the players, the biggest change I would like to see from them is more of a killer attitude. I'm not saying they need to try to brutalize the other team--the new defensive rules pretty much prevent that--but just an attitude that they WILL NOT be beat; that they WILL leave it all on the court. CCM was that kind of player himself, but as the old saying goes, you can't teach heart. There is always more and better that you can do as a player, and if you really want to win, you will do it from the time the ball goes up until the final horn. If these guys want it bad enough, they can make history this year.

no1djkb#278630 writes:

Yes John you see the same things I see also. I believe if this team can stay aggressive game in and game out, they could surprise some people. I am excited about this year. I truly believe if this team can get on the same page, we will see some great things.