Strong bench is 'biggest thing' in Cuonzo Martin's third season

Strong bench is 'biggest thing' in Martin's 3rd year

ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Adam Lau

ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL Jeronne Maymon, right, guards A.J. Davis during Tennessee’s practice Wednesday at Pratt Pavilion.

As a slew of newcomers and savvy veterans trotted out for the second day of practice at Pratt Pavilion, a glaring addition was present on Wednesday.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

zigvol writes:

I bet we don't get snubbed this year.

maciste54 writes:

I can hardly wait for the season to start. Playing Ky. only once and in Lexington sucks though.

I hope CCM takes the opportunity afforded by all this depth to pick up the offensive tempo and maybe apply more full-court pressure. IMHO, a quicker tempo on both offense and defense will help the freshmen be productive on the court sooner. It is relatively easier for inexperienced players to score in open-court situations than it is in half-court setups. As for the half-court game, the addition of Barton and Hubbs, the return of Maymon, and the added experience of most of the rest of the squad should lead to better productivity in that phase as well. I think this is going to be a GREAT season for both Vol basketball teams and I can hardly wait for the tipoff!

in response to maciste54:

The fact that the UT-KY game is almost half-way through the schedule will somewhat negate the Vols' initial advantage in experience and cohesion, allowing KY's great young talent time to get accustomed to the college game and to each other. I still like the Vols' chances in that game better than I have in some time, and there is no question that a Vol win will open eyes nationwide.

Gage: "perusing through rehab"? My dictionary defines the root word "peruse" as "to read over attentively or leisurely". Might should have been "persevering" or some such, but good try anyway. Just trying to help.

67classut writes:

With all the timeouts and TV commercials, depth won't matter much unless full court pressure is applied most of the time. It will wear most teams down.

underthehill writes:

Men and women's bb teams both have a good chance to do well in the big shows..I think Barton will prove to be a huge addition..I think Golden proved he could not defend on the level UT needed in tournament play..going to be interesting..

hikerdude writes:

If I had not watched Cuonzo (Read Keedy) basketball for the last two years, I would really be excited. As it is, I'm just hopeful. The replacement of Golden, McBrick, and Hall with Barton, Hubbs and Maymon has got to be a huge help.

in response to hikerdude:

Given that nearly everybody--including CCM if you read between the lines--thought that the Vols had a lack of true leadership on the court, the addition of Barton may well make at least a five-game improvement in the Vols' won-lost record. Golden was not an ideal PG at his best, for any system. Last year's ongoing drama regarding Maymon's return, perhaps the only true leader on the squad, sorta had everybody else looking over their shoulder. I fully expect this year's squad to be emphatically better than any CCM has had so far.

If you had watched the live stream of practice on Tuesday, you would feel better about this season. In addition to the decisive upgrades you already cited, Richardson should be much more of a scoring threat this year; the change in his shooting stroke from the time he came until now is amazing. Stokes looks to be in the best shape of his life. Pops Ndiaye is nowhere near the stiff some thought he was when he was signed; he will do everything Makanjuola did and more. I could go on and on, but we will all see sooner or later.