Derek Dooley enjoying fresh start in Dallas; Georgia-UT week different this year

Associated Press

Photo by John Bazemore, AP2012

Associated Press Tennessee coach Derek Dooley yells to his players in the second half of a 51-44 loss to Georgia in Athens, Ga., on Sept. 29, 2012.

This Georgia-Tennessee gameweek will certainly be different for Vince and Barbara Dooley.

Their youngest son, Derek, and his new team, the Dallas Cowboys, are getting ready to play the Denver Broncos on Sunday.

Orange pants aren’t a requirement for the new Cowboys wide receivers coach, who ditched that sideline look when he was fired last November before the final game of his third season at Tennessee.

“I did what most coaches do,” Derek Dooley said by phone late last week. “They get rid of the old gear and put on the new gear, so I’m wearing the blue and the silver and the Dallas star. I’m enjoying anonymity. That’s probably the best thing about it. … I’m used to talking to 30 people a day for five days a week. Now I get one about every three months.”

Continue reading at Online Athens

BTKidd writes:

I saw him on the sidelines in the preseason. It was like he was the water boy. No one payed him any attention there just as they payed him no attention at UT. He is an empty figure head.

KENVOL writes:

Never was much of a coach.

RoadTrip writes:

I am trying to understand why anybody would care what Dools is doing. He made millions from UT and the fan base while helping destroy the program. I guess we are supposed to be happy for him that he has found his niche in Dallas. Not feeling it. Maybe if the gave the buy-out money back I would.

Dickattrade writes:

Mike Hamilton destroyed the program.I am not a fan of coach Dooley's coaching but cannot blame him or anyone else for jumping at the opportunity to coach at UT. Regadless of what the critics may say; this is a dream job. I continue to hope with all my heart Butch Jones will bring the program back to where we all would love it to be. I am tired of a smoke and mirrors aproach..Go Vols get UGA

originalintent writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

I'm not sure why you would fault the guy when it was the AD that made the bad hire and the bad contract. Dooley kept his end of the contract.

If you were his age with a wife and kids along with an uncertain professional future, I doubt that you'd give the buy out back. He's not going to screw his family over to make a school that just fired him happy.

IndianOutlaw writes:

in response to Dickattrade:

Spot On

IndianOutlaw writes:

in response to originalintent:

Spot On #2

TommyJack writes:

He will go down as the laziest recruiter we ever had. No respect for him.

jone8191#247590 writes:

Good bye and good riddance. He is the reason the cupboard is so bare at UT right now.

rnb48vols#251344 writes:

the snake would be a good fit for the boys

Volborn writes:

Dooley is not a coach. He is a check casher, period.

utfans#211352 writes:

He was simply not qualified to be a head coach at a program in the SEC., We were desperate to get a coach in a hurry a month before national signing day. He was a roll of the dice that didn't work. Looked good and I quess because he worked for Saban, Hamilton thought he could coach even though his record didn't indicate that. I just wished they had fired him after Kentucky game. He sure as hell wasn't going to out coach anybody and wasn't recruiting well enough to out talent anybody.

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to BTKidd:

The cynic in me could see Dooley's fingerprints all over the choke job that Terrance Williams did in the 4th quarter last Sunday.

I guess it could be worse. I could be a Steelers fan.

bUTch__please writes:

Just goes to show....80% of the package is 100% short of getting a highly demanding and relentless job done. No one else would have done any better thrown into that breech left behind by Kiffin. No one who could do better would risk the professional tight-rope that was there at the time. It was the perfect definition of a stop-gap measure that got the program far enough down the road to have greater choice in more reasonable options. Plus, the weight of that measure sunk Hamilton as well.

To Dooley's credit, he took his firing without any lip, never said boo and moved on down the road giving Coach Jones less static to deal with.
Chapter closed.

MikeNPS writes:

in response to jone8191#247590:

Mike Hamilton is the reason the program is at the level it is right now. For Hamilton to get a package when he left is totally outrageous. In my opinion, he should have been fired.

volinlm writes:

He didn't hire himself at UT and he negotiated the best deal he could. It didn't work out. He got fired and moved on. Another post-mortem doesn't change a thing. At least he hung in there. Kiffin was the worst hire in UT history and that may include Jim Macdonald. Justice has been served on him. Dooley just wasn't the guy.

imw8n4u writes:

Sounds to me like Dooley got what he wanted all along, millions of dollars and now much less stress.

murrayvol writes:

in response to Dickattrade:

If it worked, Butch would probably settle for some "smoke and mirrors" right now.

October could be a very long month.

murrayvol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

He will go down as the laziest recruiter we ever had. No respect for him.

Absolutely.

murrayvol writes:

in response to volinlm:

Jim McDonald was a place holder. He was a good soldier who knew and accepted his lot while Tennessee looked for the "right guy".

And the Dickey hire worked pretty well for us until he made the worst decision of his life.

cyclonevol87 writes:

Derek who?

volfaninutah writes:

Nothing has changed, Dooley's team will get its rear end handed to it again this weekend.

psychovol2 writes:

Maybe he's in the running for the USC job. That would be sweet.

BTKidd writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

I guess it could be worse. I could be a Steelers fan.

I emailed Mike Tomlin two years ago and told him Roethleisberger would be his downfall. The week before last, his mistakes directly led to 21 points by the other team. Peyton gets rid of the ball in 3 seconds, the result being 16 td's and 0 interceptions. Roethleisberger holds the ball for 5-7 seconds. Nothing good will happen when you hold the ball that long.

Tomlin said there were players that were going to do it his way or they were out of there. Hopefully, Landry Jones will get his shot. Trade Ben and get what you can for him.

BTKidd writes:

I finally read the rest of the article. How touching???????? When is he going to give back the 5 million he stole from my beloved UT?

All_Vall_Yall writes:

in response to BTKidd:

So when did you graduate from UT, Kid?

thickman1214 writes:

in response to originalintent:

the man NEVER had a second half comeback in his head coaching CAREER!! Every single time he took a deficit into halftime, he lost!! And that's no exaggeration, that's a fact! Whatever devil's advocate bonehead wants to say about him keeping his contractual commitments, I beg to differ... He fulfilled his time, not his commitment. Case in Point, Von Bell!! Plus Dooley never attended one single high school game in his three years here. FACT! He SUCKED! FACT!

thickman1214 writes:

I wonder if Jason Wittin slaps Fooley around from time to time just as a reminder that you can't have FOURTEEN MEN ON THE FIELD AT ONCE!!!!!!!!!! Or maybe you should call a timeout against Mizzou when you had one with 41 SECONDS ON THE CLOCK!!!!!! I better stop, my blood is boiling!

BTKidd writes:

in response to All_Vall_Yall:

So when did you graduate from UT, Kid?

Jeff "The Greatest Flowers" proclaimed that i was deserving of an honorary degree from UT for my unwavering allegiance to the vols. I graciously accepted.

Orange_Beach writes:

It's funny that Doofus's signature win at UT was over Butchie Boy while Butchie Boy's signature win came against South Alabama. But I don't what's funnier, Doofus slamming his cane on the ground during the Troy game last year or Butchie Boy playing with his Karaoke microphone at practice.

BTKidd writes:

in response to Orange_Beach:

My fears about coach Jones remain. Certainly, he is a better coach than the former worst UT coach in it's history. He is certainly a better recruiter. He genuinely appears to want to be at UT.

The facts remain. He made no defensive adjustments during Cinncinnatti's loss to UT. He made no defensive adjustments in UT's loss to Oregon. Gus Malzahn has out coached him this year. Do i think Jones will stabilize the vols situation. Yes. Do i think he will bring a championship to UT? Not so sure.

All_Vall_Yall writes:

in response to BTKidd:

BTKidd and Orange Beach.....2 MORONS in a pod.

All_Vall_Yall writes:

in response to BTKidd:

I guess you can hang that by your honorary high school diploma.

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to BTKidd:

What defensive adjustments would have you made in the Oregon game? Other than faking some cramps, I don't know what would have worked. It's tough for a defense with Sun Belt talent, speed and depth (at many positions) to stop the nation's fastest and most potent offense.

onetruevol706 writes:

Hey Dooley was a great coach...he set the program up for years to come, just not for playing football, but I hear he did a good job of keeping people hydrated.

BTKidd writes:

in response to MetroplexMojo:

Attention vol nation! This affords me another opportunity for the latest installment of football 101 from your's truly.

Running backs and wide receivers eventually have to move north and south if they hope to score. Defenders have to eventually move north and south to prevent them from scoring. UT took proper tackling angles against Oregon. However they moved laterally (straight across) instead of forward at the proper angles.

On offense the fix is simple. In order to effectively have a dynamic running game in the spread, you have to have a two back option. One goes laterally and one goes up the middle. If your qb is mobile than he is the second back. Worley is immobile. Therefore, we need two backs in the backfield if we want to run.

Problems solved.

BTKidd writes:

in response to All_Vall_Yall:

BTKidd and Orange Beach.....2 MORONS in a pod.

He's done an average job this year so far on the field. Those are simply the facts. You can't get better if you don't tell the truth.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to BTKidd:

Problems solved.

When you stop posting,our problems will be solved.No brag,just facts.

southernbelle79 writes:

Vol fans know better than to kick a man when he is down. So all you Bama fans can git on out of here. Now scoot.

While we real Vols wish the man well. Bless his heart.