On gray day, Vols hope to start October on right foot

New uniforms debut against No. 6 Georgia

Tennessee coach Butch Jones said this week that he wanted to “end all speculation” that the Vols would march onto the field Saturday wearing gray helmets.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

10SE writes:

Did they finally wise up and get rid of that stupid subscription thing?

pingkr62 writes:

in response to 10SE:

Did they finally wise up and get rid of that stupid subscription thing?

Could be.

volhome writes:

in response to 10SE:

Did they finally wise up and get rid of that stupid subscription thing?

We can only pray. Hmm, pray. Rhymes with grey. Maybe its a sign, from KNS that things are changing. For the better.

BTKidd writes:

Gray is not an exciting color. It is drab. It is melancholy. I don't understand how this color fires any one up.

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to BTKidd:

If it works...who cares! GBO...or...GBG!!

BTKidd writes:

in response to Shake_Bake:

If it works...who cares! GBO...or...GBG!!

If we trotted out orange helmets with a power white T, that would fire me up.

volfan73120#211815 writes:

I don't particularly like the grey uniform, but if they beat Georgia I could get used to it.

ThurmondEppy writes:

in response to 10SE:

Did they finally wise up and get rid of that stupid subscription thing?

They had to. Under the subscription program, there were only like 5 comments per article when there used to be 200. Advertisers probably didn't like that too much.

snafu14u#241639 writes:

Let me be on record that win,lose or draw I love the smokey grey uniforms as a alternate choice. In fact just to push the The Big Orange envelope I'd love to top it off with a smokey grey helmet for this game. Plus I'm a old alumni (Class of 1976). Must have lived in Portland,Or too long I guess. Go Big Orange w/shades of Smokey Grey. The only detail I don't understand is announcing it in advance...they should have come out of the locker room with the grey on as a surprise and had the energy erupt from the stands.

southernbelle79 writes:

Love the Smokey grey. Would trade it all and even give up TN orange if Jones could find a quarterback with an accurate arm who didn't telegraph all his passes.

A girl can dream, can't she?

golfman1975 writes:

Go Vols!!

BTKidd writes:

in response to southernbelle79:

A girl can dream, can't she?

Dobbs would give the vols a man advantage because of his running ability. He wouldn't have to be a great passer. Look at Blake Bell from Oklahoma. No one is going to mistake him for Sam Bradford.

lwalker21#228538 writes:

Smokey Gray or not they are our team, I kinda like them, but, I also liked the Black and Orange, Halloween weekend against SC, was lucky enough in the rain to be in the rain in the stands, not about Kiffen, just a bit of something different, the Uniforms do not make the team, but if the guys liked the change so be it, they are only a one or two game alternative and Butch and crew are trying to put their stamp on the program and get them all fired up as much as possible, kinda sad knowing we are still a bit weak and GA has been strong. To me it is about the game and young guys working hard together, today big business, some donors, and fair weather yapping fans make it hard to just accept it and move on! There I said it folks it is a game, we do enjoy watching and taking our minds off reality and daily struggles, GO VOLS, try hard, play as a team, keep it close and have heart!!

lwalker21#228538 writes:

in response to lwalker21#228538:

I should add this comes from a 50 yr old perspective and I totally get tradition, I also played College Basketball and understand all the prep and teamwork that goes into playing, that said a lot has changed since the early 80's but heart, and brick by brick to lay a solid foundation has not, lets be patient with this staff and stay true fans to our boys!