After narrow loss, Vols look to build off strides on the field and in the stands

Fumble keeps receiver from great day

Tennessee wide receiver Pig Howard (2) is pulled down by Georgia strong safety Corey Moore (39) as Tennessee wide receiver Marquez North (8) looks on during the second half at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

No one knows the cruel twists of football fates better than Tennessee receiver Alton “Pig” Howard

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

jandjhome#228397 writes:

He would not admit it but I bet that the Ole Ball Coach is looking at us with more concern than the past couple of years.

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

We believe coach. Just keep on keeping on the road back from purgatory which we have been living in is rough and mean. You got the kids believing and damn it we will be back.
Go Vols Hang tough coach we got your back/

TNFaninFL writes:

THAT game reminded me of the good old days of Tennessee football, Neyland was rockin and the Vols went toe to toe with Georgia for 60 minutes. We did not win but every Vol fan should be proud of their team, those guys played their guts out. Kudos to the coaching staff for getting them ready to play, as Butch said after the game, they were outmanned but laid it on the line. Raijon Neal put the offense on his back and kept taking the punishment for the offense, he should get a game ball for that even though they lost. Very proud of the team, Butch has them headed in the right direction, 1-2 years of stellar recruiting and we are back on track.

BigDave64 writes:

If we play like that against SC we will win. I love the fact that when we got down we fought back to take the lead instead of folding. This team is coming together nicely. Very well coached, disciplined, inspired, and coach had them ready to play. Guys flying to the ball and what about special teams and Palary??? The pregame maxims they showed on CBS was crazy good. I agree, this game reminded me of the good ole days.

VolDoginFl writes:

Great game, I wasn't sure about the gray uniforms but they grew on me as the game went on and I like them. Maybe we could have done what the Broncos did last night and taken more time off the clock and kicked a field goal at the end instead of giving GA so much time to tie with at TD. They still might have had plenty of time to go down and get a field goal anyway. I wish they would come out in all orange for the SC game! Best special teams game I have seen from us in a long time!

Orange_Power_T writes:

I believe this game will define this team moving forward. I really feel they will use it as a spring board to jump on in conference foes. Actually, I think SC is in trouble.
This team last year would have folded up the tent and become beaten like they stole something. Team 117 is different. It looks like CBJ is pointing out all of the positive things happening and the players just like to be praised once in a while. I hope I'm not wrong here, but October 5th may just be the date team 117 grew up.

armydawg53 writes:

It was an amazing atmosphere but give UGA some credit too, we survived a brutal game with terrible injuries to very key players, the loudest venue we have seen in years and a UT team absolutely intent on winning. It took a fumble at the end to make it possible for UGA to win. And it all turned on a missed field goal. Just shows how fickle the game can be and how Lady Luck can wink at you one minute and not even recognize you the next. Beat South Carolina!!

maciste54 writes:

If the noise level is like that from the outset against S.C.and the Vols play as well as they did Saturday it's almost a sure win. I hope the crowd brings it early Sat. after next. I can't remember a more instantly disheartening loss than Sat. Even the Ala. and LSU games though bad weren't this bad. However, I got over this one much quicker due to the improvement that was apparent about midway through the 3rd quarter. Suddenly I was watching TN. football again and not some Lame Kiffin or Doolittle excuse. GBO and CBJ.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Some Bricks were put in place Saturday.

in response to VolDoginFl:

Gotta say the gray unis grew on me too. Not quite fair to compare what the Broncos did with what the Vols did. Worley made great strides against UGA, but he is certainly no Peyton Manning! UGA has the closest thing to another Peyton in Murray. Better for the Vols to get all the points they could and then try to hold serve at the end. Also, if they only got a field goal on their last drive, that would have been about 40 fewer yards UGA would have had to get in order to try for a tying field goal. Remember that Morgan had already hit a 56-yarder in the game with a career-long of 57 to his credit.

What killed the Vols on that last drive was letting the Dawgs get that 50-something-yard run and then the two late penalties down close. CBJ rolled the dice on those 4th-down conversions and came up with sevens; he played the percentages on that last drive, but the breaks didn't go his way.

Finally, for my money, I do NOT want to see the all-orange ensemble. I hold two degrees from UT and have been a Vol fan for more than 55 years, but I just DO NOT like that all-orange look. I guess it's kinda funny, but I like both the all-black and the all-gray unis better than the all-orange look. However, to each his own; they're still MY Vols, whatever they wear.

PS: Sorry, VDF; you did say that UGA might have been able to get the tying FG if the Vols had kicked one. I was afraid what DID happen WOULD happen, but I still liked the Vols' chances better if UGA had to go all the way down the field into the end zone with just less than two minutes to go. I'm just sorry for the Vols that the percentages didn't break their way that time.

in response to Orange_Power_T:

I think you are right, not only about the Vols but about the Chickens as well. Clowney seems to have gotten a bad case of the "I'm almost a pro" big-head and it seems to be getting on Spurrier's nerves; I would be surprised if the other players aren't a bit annoyed at him also. Then there is also a budding QB controversy. Shaw has been hurt but his backup has played pretty well. Spurrier has been impatient with Shaw on occasion already; the team may be split on who they prefer at the controls. Putting all that aside, I think the Vols will be ready to take out some frustration by the time they hit the field again and the Chickens just happen to be in the way!

in response to armydawg53:

You are exactly right that the Dawgs deserve a lot of credit for their performance Saturday. Murray just shows how much difference a true star and leader at QB can be. I also knew how good a kicker Morgan is and I nearly fell out of my chair when he doinked that relative chip shot. The game could have gone either way at several different points. I'm prejudiced of course, but I thought the Vols on the whole came from further back in their development as a team to make it close; the Dawgs right now are where we Vol fans want OUR team to be. Whichever team one roots for, that game was one to be proud of and a treat for anybody who loves football even if they didn't CARE who won.

budmannjc#646879 writes:

in response to jandjhome#228397:

Some Bricks were put in place Saturday.

Yes, I believe they were too!