John Adams: Vols are playing like it's 2010 again

John Adams
Tennessee head coach Butch Jones during the Vol Walk  before the Georgia game Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013 outside Neyland Stadium in Knoxville.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick

Tennessee head coach Butch Jones during the Vol Walk before the Georgia game Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013 outside Neyland Stadium in Knoxville. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Tennessee began this football season with a new coach (Butch Jones). It also began the 2010 season with a new coach (Derek Dooley).

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

MadMax49 writes:

Tell us how old you are John. This article surely isn't by someone older than 10 yrs old and in 4th grade.

GerryOP writes:

Good column John, interesting facts. There are significant parallels to 2010. Let's hope the parallels don't continue much longer. I think that Jones-boy is turning things around.

Volborn writes:

Major difference: In 2010, UT had an imitation coach that was born on third base and acted like he hit a triple. In 2013, UT had a real coach that singled up the middle(united the fan base), stole second with blazing speed(recruited like heck, sorry...hell) and now the opposing pitcher(other SEC head coaches) are so distracted that they are litterally praying on the mound(see Mark Richt with head bowed) that he doesn't steel third(win the SEC in 2015) and home(make the 4 team playoff).

The sleeping giant was tickled on the nose with a feather Saturday. I think I heard a snort!

GBO

VolDoginFl writes:

This year does feel eerily familiar. We have that hope again that we are on our way back to the top. The last two coaches that gave us that hope turned out to be frauds. For some reason I feel more comfortable with this coach. Only time will tell the real story but it does look good for the future. It is crazy the similarities to 2010 though.
Coach Jones is saying and doing all the right things right now. I see flashes of coaching brilliance but I think he also has a lot to learn to become a great coach in the SEC. I thought he managed the GA game much better than the previous games. It would be nice to get that signature win against USC or AL and at least keep all the recruits we have now.
Things are looking up in Knoxville! GBO!

BJ writes:

Leave it to John Adams to try to put a negative spin on anything positive about the Vols and his side kick Josh Ward on the radio does the same thing. I listen everytime they have Josh Ward on 107.5 here in SC and i do believe it pains him to say anything positive about Tennessee Football I will be listening next week before we play SC and I am sure the ding a lings here on 107.5 The Game will have him on asking him about the VOLS and he will have a negative spin about the team or the coach or both however that said GO VOLS GO Coach Jones we are on he right track and anything permanent is built brick by brick

MikeNPS writes:

Every time I read one of John Adams' columns, I conclude that surely in the future he cannot possibly write a column that is more idiotic or has less insight. But lo and behold, just a few days later he manages to do just that. By employing John Adams, this newspaper is indicating that it has no standards whatsoever.

in response to VolDoginFl:

Things are looking up in Knoxville! GBO!

A pretty good take on things, as usual for you. I'm not terribly worried about holding on to the recruits as long as CBJ DOES show ability to manage games. His main pitch all along has been, "We need help; if you can play, you'll get your shot." Nothing has happened to change the impact of that spiel, IMHO. As long as team morale and fan interest stays high, there is no reason I can see why these guys wouldn't hold to their commitments...unless some of the real "big boys" come calling, of course. Still, I like their chances.

bUTch__please writes:

That was then. This is now.

Palardy has never been this consistent/productive. No prima donna running backs sitting in the dorm waiting to have their feet kissed. No on-again off-again DB's deciding whether or not football or reefer was more important. Same for a certain diamond-earring wearing wide receiver recently cut from the League. No excuses. No hand holding. A higher team GPA. Team #118 recruiting class rated #3 in the nation by ESPN...been that way for months. Ranked 2nd in the nation in interceptions.

Humph. Wish I could find some differences worth talking about.

Go TEAM #117!

gglardon50#417841 writes:

Wowust kidding,last week things are looking up. Brick by brick this team will win out and be heading for a BCS bowl.Jones is the best coach in the SEC and playing the toughest schedule in the HISTORY of college football and afraid of no one. Just kidding ,last week was lucky. this team is 5-7 at best and talking buy out in Dec.

RoadTrip writes:

in response to bUTch__please:

That was then. This is now.

Humph. Wish I could find some differences worth talking about.

Go TEAM #117!

Good post. Adams never lets the facts get in the way of a silly story. He just doesn't have anything more informative or interesting to say.

in response to gglardon50#417841:

Is that you, Jeffy? If not, then you have a similar gift for ludicrous hyperbole and a nearly matchless talent for snarkery. That is not meant as a compliment, but if you wish to take it as one, you're welcome.

fannotsheep writes:

I actually thought it was interesting how closely the first halves of the two seasons have been. Despite the hatred for Dooley, he also recruited well the first year he was here, considering the mess he inherited. I do see promising signs in the few mistakes and few penalties. And as much as it hurts to see the Vols once again snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, the disparity of talent should have resulted in a three touchdown loss to Georgia.

Haters gonna hate, whether it's Dooley, Adams or Fulmer. I just hope they're not on here saying the same about Jones in three years. I'd like to hang around long enough to see another championship season. I don't think I can make it if they're 47 years apart again.

in response to fannotsheep:

Pretty much agree with all of this. Maybe I'm too influenced by hindsight, but I just really don't remember quite as much positivity from the fan base and the players as there is now. For Dooley, many of us--and I was one--were willing to overlook his record in favor of the fact that he was a son of a Southern football legend, and young enough and presumably smart enough to grow into the job. After all the controversy with Kiffen, especially his apparent belief that it wasn't enough to become the "real" UT again but that it had to become "So. Cal. East" if he were to succeed, Dooley felt like a return to the familiar. Jones on the other hand came in with a solid record as a winner, and if he wasn't born "one of us", he really seemed as a small-town guy with no distinguished football pedigree to "get" what made UT and SEC football special.

Another difference is that most of the more-famous players under Kiffen and Dooley didn't quite match our perception of what a UT football player "should" be. As much as we might have admired the talent of such as Bray, Rogers, Hunter, Patterson, Jackson, and such, there was always a feeling that, with the possible exception of Hunter, playing college football at UT just wasn't as "special" to them as we fans thought it should be. With this year's team, there just seems to be much more of a "blue-collar" mentality that we can more easily identify with. They just seem more like our kind of guys--hard-working but comfortable with themselves and us; hungry and humble, fiercely determined to get better. For the most part, they weren't the really highly-sought-after types who seemed destined for the NFL from the cradle, at least in their own minds. I'm sure many of them HOPE they can make it in the League and we hope that for them, but they know they will have to WORK their way to that goal rather than merely allow the passage of time to float them there without undue effort.

Whether or not this increased identification with the coaches and players, if indeed it is real, will turn into more wins sooner is yet to be determined. However, for now, IMHO, it is a much more enjoyable ride that we all seem to be taking together than was the case in the past when extraneous and divergent agendas seemed to be the rule of the day.